Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@StormBug

I can attest to that. I have killed many a trolls by myself and the only time I have died was when I accidently left my character online for hours without realizing it, only to come back to see me in my skinnies. Oh.. what a glorious occasion! The sun was very bright that day. 😛

Also, I've solo'd both as a mage and as a tank pretty easily once my mage had the proper abilities that is. Tanks are easy to solo with.

@StormBug said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

If this is an issue you are having then you are doing it wrong.

This is a systemic issue that will contribute to a lower population.

Consider Albion Online's solution: you never lose gear or location in PvE. Instead, if you get knocked down during a PvE engagement, you effectively can't get back up for the duration of the engagement (unless you have a high-level holy healer).

Either the rest of your party wins without you, or you disengage and try again. That system worked very well, and was a lot of fun. I never saw anyone complaining that it was "carebear" or "casual" (and the AO community isn't exactly reticent to complain or call others carebears 😛 ).

My best PvE memories in AO were fighting the roaming Avalon construct bosses, that could take many minutes of PvE from a precisely-tuned party to burn it down, and if a cascade of knockdowns began, you had to restart.

That kind of fun would be impossible in a PvE death system. One death, and your team is broken, and you've got to wait for someone to ride out to try again. How is that ever a good thing, whether for fun or business? It's disrespectful of people's time, and I suspect most people will find something else to do.

The idea that you should lose gear and location for death in PvE is so destructive I wonder if anyone pushing it isn't trying to sabotage the game. Either that, or it shows no idea is so bad it can't find defenders! 😛

@Roccandil said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

One death, and your team is broken, and you've got to wait for someone to ride out to try again.

That's just it; they made it so very hard to actually die that there should be a very serious punishment for it. It is very easy to avoid "death" and that is the point I am trying to make. If folks simply pay attention to what they are doing then "death" is not something that will happen often. Also if you know how the game works then you will never have to travel that far if you do experience "death".

You simply have to know when to fight and when to run.

The idea that you should lose gear and location for death in PvE is so destructive I wonder if anyone pushing it isn't trying to sabotage the game. Either that, or it shows no idea is so bad it can't find defenders! 😛

Sabotage the game? Because I don't subscribe to what I consider a nerfed system of death? I don't see why PVE has to be so easy. I think this is what is frustrating me the most. It seems that so many PVE advocates are for this protected system of death. Why? Why does PVE have to be so easy.

There are, as I have had it pointed out to me, many games out there that make it easy on PVE, so why don't folks just go play those. Myself, I am sick of them. I like how Fracture is currently structured. I sleep in an inn or house near where I am going to be fighting so I don't have a long run if I do experience "death" I pay attention to my health and ensure that I return to the inn or house to replenish my health if I get knocked down a few times so as not to actually "die" Very easy. Almost too easy.

@Roccandil The scenario you are describing is exactly what currently would happen in Fractured. In Albion, if a character HP reaches zero, he is out of that encounter. In Fractured, if your HP reaches zero, you stand back up 30 seconds later and join the fight again. If your HP reaches zero 3 or 4 times, then you get out of the encounter to avoid getting killed.

Am I missing something or you are advocating for a MORE punishing pve death system?

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@spoletta There is no point of making reason with what this guy is saying, if you've read all this posts it the same thing all over again.

Like AO has the best system, and that losing all your gear in PvE is bad.

AO System SUCKS! it sucks because when you die you actually lost alot more playtime because you lose tons of money, which you farmed for hours + The point Spoletta mentioned.

In Fractured, it is actually very hard to die, you have to be really stupid to die.

Even reading this guys posts makes me facepalm my self all over.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Roccandil All they have to do, is implement a Spell, that will rise your Maximum HP( as remove the purple debuff), and will be used by a healer or something like that.

And thats it.

@munch
    And even that route I think a healthy chunk of the community wouldn't like. I know the changes to the campfire in this alpha were a little controversial for some, but I'm now fully behind the idea that you need to visit those inns for some things. To get rid of the purple is one of them. We shouldn't be able to do that "in the field" so to say.

• Content Creator

Also, it is worthwhile to note that Albion: Online, and other games like it are not actually the #1 rated MMOs out there, in fact, their own populations are declining at a rapid rate as more and more players are getting disillusioned by their system of coddling.

Just about any MMO with actual staying power on the market uses the very mechanic you say will doom Fractured to failure

I agree with @GamerSeuss . That and the early albion was way more hardcore than now, mobs finished players, no offscreen name tags, no perma mounts, etc pp, all the changes pretty much drove many players away before it went f2p, so bringing up albion is not the best idea 😉

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Esoba This is me trying to find a solution for the carebears so they will not ruin our game.

Because when the softies come, a game is always getting ruined in the end.

@munch

for starters this is not a PURE PvP game, and at the same time this is NOT a PURE PvE game. So both parties have to be catered to.

With that said, as I've stated before, the devs won't remove the "lose you loot when your body decomposes" as that is in the game design and the devs have been very frank in stating that they will not change their base game design. We have the option to allow our corpses to be looted by "party", "guild" or "public". So in the event we do not think we are able to make it back, someone else can get to it. Yes a pure soloist with literally no friends or community on here will be out of luck, but this game is not made for a pure soloist, so a player will have a party or guild member to rely on to get their corpses most the time.

The only thing I have seen the devs teeter on is the looting of a corpse when the player was pk'd, and that we may see being different depending on what planet you are on or the same across the board.

@Roccandil said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

Losing all gear for a PvE death is harsh, and will discourage many players. I'd remove the possibility of dying in PvE altogether, and make dying only possible in PvP. (I note that's essentially how Albion works.)

On Arboreus you will not loose your gear. Even if your stuff drops on ground, you can go back and collect it again, and noone can steal it from you in the meantime, because all are good alligned.

So loosing your gear on Arboreus is already not a "thing".

Asking for not loosing your gear on Syndesia as well (even whil in PvE) is also not a "thing", one planet is already enough to be risk-free.

@Gothix in Syndesia if you die, and someone take your items and wasn't allowed to, he will get the "thief" label, and that not good for anyone that want to be free in Syndesia.

i think this 3 planets, with 3 different loot condition is smart and good, and no need to change it.

• Content Creator

@grofire said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

@Gothix in Syndesia if you die, and someone take your items and wasn't allowed to, he will get the "thief" label, and that not good for anyone that want to be free in Syndesia.

i think this 3 planets, with 3 different loot condition is smart and good, and no need to change it.

Not if demons come to Syndesia and kill you. They can take anything they want to my understanding.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

It's what happens in EVE which is another sandbox game. If there's no penalty for dying what's the point of the game. It teaches you to not be so reckless and plan ahead.

@Nekrage said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

@grofire said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

Not if demons come to Syndesia and kill you. They can take anything they want to my understanding.

Yes in Syndesia your stuff can get stolen by evil alligned people. My point is that's how it should be.

One planet (Arboreus) is more than enough to have your stuff protected. Noone should be asking for more than that.

@Nekrage said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

any evil character can steal, not only demons, but they will still be flagged, and they still be effected by that.

so your angry because you die i mean that's most games

• @Gothix said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

On Arboreus you will not loose your gear. Even if your stuff drops on ground, you can go back and collect it again, and noone can steal it from you in the meantime, because all are good alligned.

Unless there are server problems, which will cause you to dc and die to mobs and not be able to retrieve your items in time, as it happened on Albion f2p launch. 😛

PS: Losing gear on death is one of the core features of full loot pvp games. What happens in this thread is similar to asking for a top-down camera in call of duty.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

I play online since 1997 Ultima was full loot, mob where looting you, anyone could loot you, once you left city unless you where with your guild you where on your own. anyone could kill you loot you kill your horse. 1 world full pvp (here you will get even pve planets for ppl with no balls)

Why this new generation of players are soo spoiled? afraid, of pvp, commitment, and in general composed by weaklings? there is already 9438905830458 mmo for casual players where you die respawn die respawn and nothing happens, go play that kind of games instead try to push your way on the very few games that still run the loot system..

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured