Infinite progression or hit the wall progression?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

First things first, is there any progress? πŸ˜› I mean leveling/boosting/getting power for our character which can we use against others, better items, skills etc.?

If so, do we get that with infinite progression so then our character can be stronger and stronger or we get the same progress like it's in every new MMO called "Wall Progression" where we get to "max level" or "max equipment" or any other maximum power for our character and after that we are logining... dunno for what, just for fighting each other or to get some resources, in long term it's pointless.
    That's why i would like to see long and infinite character power progression.

Examples, the games that are with Wall Progress:
    World of Warcraft - obviously, they even constantly deleting your progress with each expansion, so everyone can start over again with the same power - really silly.
    And similar like Rift, Aion, Tera Online, Guild Wars.

Games with infinite progress:
    Tibia, Metin2 or similar.
    From newer games it's Black Desert i guess but i didn't play it because of P2W.
    Eve Online? Didn't play tho, just heard about that.

I hope that you get the point πŸ™‚ The best end-game is when... there is no end-game πŸ™‚

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

this game with horizontal progression, so this mean you do not stronger, just more capable to different situations.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

In fact there is a wall : having all abilities and knowledge... but I think is not happen in 1 month of play πŸ˜‰ So you could play without worries of character leveling because you're already in "max level"

• Neither. One of the basic premises of this game is that you don't really grow in power.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Horizontal progression, so your character becomes more versitile, not powerfull.

Getting all +400 skills/abilities is something only completionists will get. Not the average player.

So when you got the meta build(s), what is the force in the game to make you want to keep playing?

@evolgrinz said in Infinite progression or hit the wall progression?:

So when you got the meta build(s), what is the force in the game to make you want to keep playing?

In a sandbox, you're supposed to set your own goals. If that's leading a dominant vibrant town, being an infamous Demon raider, becoming a renowned merchant or whatever else you can imagine is entirely up to you.

As for the OP, you might find the knowledge system spotlight an interesting read.

As people said, it's horizontal progression with a wall when you learn all 400 skills.

However I would like to add that, since progression is horizontal, there is not reason why devs couldn't make this wall wider and wider with future expansions.

So in a way we could have an infinite horizontal progression (if game will live long enough).

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@evolgrinz there are many different aspects of the game - crafting, building, exploring, PvP, PvE, politics, sieges, other things I didn't think about πŸ˜„ Pretty sure most players should find something for themselves.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@gothix said in Infinite progression or hit the wall progression?:

As people said, it's horizontal progression with a wall when you learn all 400 skills.

However I would like to add that, since progression is horizontal, there is not reason why devs couldn't make this wall wider and wider with future expansions.

So in a way we could have an infinite horizontal progression (if game will live long enough).

My assumption is that new content will be added regularly enough that the location of the wall will keep being pushed back further and further in terms of the total amount of playtime required to achieve it.

Just wondering if there is some sort of bonus for collecting all the skills other than being a completionist.
    Like, once you have you have a build or few builds you like, is there something that pulls you into wanting to still gather the other skills, even if you will probably never use them?

Warframe has somewhat horizontal progression, but even when you get a warframe and weapons you love you can still collected the others and level them up to increase your Mastery Rank.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@evolgrinz said in Infinite progression or hit the wall progression?:

Just wondering if there is some sort of bonus for collecting all the skills other than being a completionist.
    Like, once you have you have a build or few builds you like, is there something that pulls you into wanting to still gather the other skills, even if you will probably never use them?

Warframe has somewhat horizontal progression, but even when you get a warframe and weapons you love you can still collected the others and level them up to increase your Mastery Rank.

I can see a value to something like that for the sake of appealing to the kind of players that this would appeal to.

However, I want the primary draw of Fractured to be actually playing fractured. The idea of Mastery Rank makes sense for Warframe, which is basically a giant hamster-wheel/skinner-box hybrid for people who are into that kind of thing.

But I think that the idea of fractured is that the gameplay itself should be the point. If the gameplay isn't engaging, then layering on some kind of 'mastery rank' over the top won't save anything in my view.

infinite progression because to own all the planets, i'll have to be a saint and a devil.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@jetah And then when you RP, you'll eat all the planets XD

Won't a character eventually be almost infinitely versatile then?

@therippyone said in Infinite progression or hit the wall progression?:

@jetah And then when you RP, you'll eat all the planets XD

Can’t fight on an empty stomach!

@rockarmy said in Infinite progression or hit the wall progression?:

Nope, because we will never have an infinite amount of skills available. We will always have a fixed amount of skills available, it's just that this number might increase over time. The number will never be infinite.

@gothix said in Infinite progression or hit the wall progression?:

@rockarmy said in Infinite progression or hit the wall progression?:

Nope, because we will never have an infinite amount of skills available. We will always have a fixed amount of skills available, it's just that this number might increase over time. The number will never be infinite.

we can unlock all 400+ but can only equip a certain amount.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

The progression seems more sandbox oriented here. There's knowledge and learning skill levels... but there's really not supposed to be a huge power curve.

I think it will be more like the Eve Online format in that, although there is certainly a limit to the total of skills one can learn it will take a lot of time, and that time will mostly be about other goals one is pursuing (not so much just queue training as in Eve I expect).

@jairone said in Infinite progression or hit the wall progression?:

The progression seems more sandbox oriented here. There's knowledge and learning skill levels... but there's really not supposed to be a huge power curve.

I think it will be more like the Eve Online format in that, although there is certainly a limit to the total of skills one can learn it will take a lot of time, and that time will mostly be about other goals one is pursuing (not so much just queue training as in Eve I expect).

Ideally, DS doesn't want us to get all 3 ranks of the 400 skills. They'd add more skills to keep that specific carrot ahead of us.

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured