When the Mod sides with trolls...

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

You may know that I recruit in game for my guild (like almost every mmo game) and a few trolls tell us not to. We space it out 5 to 10 mins apart, most of the time longer. We have recruited a handful that way. When this shouldnt be an issue, the trolls fought us on global. Then the Mod comes on saying he is tired of hearing this argument and he will disable global. Mind you, I had respect for specter until he did this immature act on global. Then he says he doesnt feel people should recruit on global, "since not many people are in the game". Not many people in game... Hmmm What could be the cause of that? Didnt I get people in guild doing ads? Is it because I post ads on global? To get people in my guild so I can help people out, teach people, have them enjoy the game more? Maybe, maybe not...

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

From my perspective this is a far bigger issue than just 'recruitment'.

Over the past few days there has been so much needless chat on global, i.e trash talking, etc. etc. that isn't even necessary on ALPHA, cause certain individuals lack the mental capacity to understand what their purpose is as a tester.

Perhaps Specter didn't explained himself thoroughly for that decision but it is quite evident that global chat has added unnecessary workload due to immature people.

You also need to understand that Specter is 1 person moderating GC, with a life outside of the internet and has responsibilities. Imagine how mentally and physically taxing that is.

it's not about "mods siding with trolls", theres more to it than that.

edit:

Not to mention that their little petty fights seeped into discord.

• Wiki Editor

he was not zeroing out just one person.
    So many recruiters have just been straight up spamming that is driving people nuts.

Global chat needs to be refined, and muting needs to be added.
    Faction/ town/ guild/ party chats need to be also added.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Hey Mr14taz,

@Zori said in When the Mod sides with trolls...:

Over the past few days there has been so much needless chat on global, i.e trash talking, etc. etc. that isn't even necessary on ALPHA, cause certain individuals lack the mental capacity to understand what their purpose is as a tester.

very much agreed on this.. There has been quite a not so nice atmosphere happening in global chat, which funny enough, I don't remember from past tests at all. I'm sure there are specific examples of similar conversations in global, but I don't think that's been the overall mood, until this test.

@Mr14taz said in When the Mod sides with trolls...:

Then he says he doesnt feel people should recruit on global, "since not many people are in the game".

What Spectre actually said was that he believes recruiting in global doesn't make much sense and the forums are a better platform where you can reach more people. Whether one agrees with that or not, is an entirely different thing though.

Then the Mod comes on saying he is tired of hearing this argument and he will disable global.

I made the important part bold there. What I recall was more broad: he was tired of arguments in global chat period. Not specificly the argument you were involved in, but I'm sure @Specter can clarify this too.

While there is discord and the forums, global chat has been the main channel to get help through and I am aware that you do offer help and learning opportunities through your private discord chat. That is appreciated. But frequent guild recruitment posts, by whoever, do unfortunately interrupt that somewhat. Not sure how global chat can be changed to still allow for questions and answers and avoiding spamming.

There are times I feel like I am spamming global when trying to help a single person. But since there are no PMs, it's kinda the only way at this time.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I agree that global is the only place we can do things and thats a bad thing. Forums and other places are not effective to recruit. I would stop recruiting if we didnt get new people. This is something we do in all games. Saying we shouldnt when it isnt a rule is kinda counter-productive imo. We advertise and we get new players. There is PLENTY of other non productive spam. Yes many people troll others there while I mostly try to help.. Mods should keep their "opinions" to themselves and follow their guidelines. If we can chat in global, then we can send out ads. If we can troll others, then we can troll. As a mod, I would imagine he should stop the trolling and allow people to recruit for their guilds. Thats pretty much all Im saying.

• Community Manager

@Silynx said in When the Mod sides with trolls...:

I made the important part bold there. What I recall was more broad: he was tired of arguments in global chat period. Not specificly the argument you were involved in, but I'm sure @Specter can clarify this too.

This exactly. Over the past few days there has been quite a bit of drama in the ingame chat. As I don't have time to moderate the ingame chat 24/7, or constantly scour the chat logs for rule-breaking behaviour, I will have no choice but to ask Prometheus to shut down the ingame chat instead if people can't behave. This isn't specifically directed at @Mr14taz , but at all those who are causing drama in the global chat. We expect people to behave and be smart enough to moderate themselves. There's no ignore list right now, but that doesn't mean you're forced to take the bait. As the saying goes: don't feed the trolls.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Honestly at this point? Close the in game chat. Its taking up resources and right now is just going to be a bed of spam and arguing.

Temtem did exactly this and it was 100% the right move as it promoted positive discord activity and as it stands, people arent going to stop spamming or calling out spammers.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

LOL it's a shame we are talking about closing the chat and not saying stop the trolling. It is a shame we are saying dont feed the trolls when someone is trying to do positive things. Wow guys... Lets just give in to the rioting wont we? Feels like real life... Seriously???

Probably best to step back from this thread atm, as it seems that emotions are heightened that it blinds reason.

it's already been stated why the vast majority of us agree on disabling global for the time being, and that the issue isn't about recruitment, it's about the misuse of global chat due to certain personalities. Also, we don't bring real life politics into the forum, that's one of the rules of the forum.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Mr14taz

I would highly disagree that the forums aren’t an efficient way to get your guild out in the open. It’s better to post on the forums an in-depth description of what your guild is and what your goals are than to spam discord invites in the chat, especially when those invites don’t apply to the 70% of people in-game who are already with a guild.

Also like @Zori said, please refrain from bringing a political subject which is a very sensitive topic for many into a discussion about a video game chat.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Yeah, stepping back is something a lot of people want to do rather than fix the issue. The issue is trolling. Ban the trolls. Dont close global. If you dont want guilds to advertise then place that rule. DONT run away from problems PEOPLE!!! Fix them!

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Its ok guys, Im done. It seems im talking to a wall anyways.. Injustice wins again...

there shouldn't be ANY recruiting going on in any chats, in this game or any other, that's what recruitment sections of forums are for and believe it or not, Fractured has a recruitment section, use it... also there's a discord with a recruiting section... use that too

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I see no reason not to recruit in-game if it's only done every 15-20 minutes or so... when people pile on yelling "stop recruiting, stop recruiting" is when it becomes a flame-fest. (and because of Discord and such, a lot of people never check forums)

The devs need to put in an "ignore" button, and problem solved... of course, there are 1,000 different things that we all think they "need to do", in varying priorities. It's early, it'll happen in time.

The bigger problem, as indicated by the mod's comment, is there are so few people in game. So there's nobody here to push the chat along, and very few looking for a guild anyway. I've probably put in 25 hours and have never seen more than 3 people in one place... THAT is much more serious of an issue.

What we really need to do, is police ourselves and not act like dicks to each other, ESPECIALLY since there are so few people playing!

Everyone has different priorities for this short testing period... we can't be so critical.

Z

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Znick I have to somewhat disagree Znick, when the same copy-paste message is spammed on my screen before the last message has even left the chat screen? I'm going to ask them to stop, which is apparently trolling of the highest order these days.

Stop recruiting is so satisfying to see when spammers keep recruiting in a test phase for a game that isn't even in beta yet.

Get that ignore button in there and I'll click on it so fast I'll need to change the batteries on my mouse.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Specter Banning any ads in the global chat is a great idea! Personally, I will be thrilled about it. Let it be the law. No ads in global chat.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

You may know that I recruit in game for my guild (like almost every mmo game) and a few trolls tell us not to. We space it out 5 to 10 mins apart,

You are 100% the problem. If there was an ignore list implemented, you would be on it immediately.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@KKillroyV2 I agree with that, the person recruiting should not post if his prior post is still there... but I still feel it should be allowed if they don't do it like a knucklehead.

There's also some good conversation in chat. Last night we talked about a lot of things... new ideas, helping people, etc.. Since there's nobody in discord and no guild or anything for the town I ended up near, I'm already bored. World chat helps.

Z

• Content Creator

@Mr14taz actually, in every game I ever played, MMO wise, recruiting for Guilds in global chat was considered Trolling.

I personally just ignore in-game chat completely right now. Its not constructive, so it's a distraction and a resource that could be dedicated to some other aspect of the game. Everything we do takes up bandwidth, processing power, etc..., turn off Global chat and wait until party/city/guild chat is ready to go, and wait until ignore features are added.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured