Solo playing became extremely difficult.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

The current changes leave almost no room for single player play. It is very sad. There is currently no high-level content in the game. Because of this playing solo, I expect to be able to do everything. But good armor is now only made in cities. And without good armor, even the current content presents an almost insurmountable challenge for solo players. I expected high-level content to be a problem for solos. I'm confused now. Or high-level content already in the game, or even low-level content for solo players will be a problem?

I want to clarify that 60 points are invested in talents, and a lot of skills are available.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Hey,

high-level content does not really exist yet. You are only seeing low-level content. And I very much agree that the most recent balancing changes have caused solo play especially in Goblin Hills, the closest area to one of the starting towns, has become very hard for new players (which you would see mostly....well around the starting city). Large amount of mobs with high damage are definitely not starter friendly.
    This has been a steady complaint in global chat in the last few days from what I can tell. Maybe make Goblin Hills somewhat easier since this is the first area most new players would hit?

Correct, 60 points can be invested in talents and there is a good amount of skills available to learn, both for mages and melee characters. Ranged characters might have a tougher time finding a larger list of skills.

Silynx

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Under the new talent tree, you can play as a mage without needing any gear crafted in cities, or needing any enchantments. They do help, of course, but you don't need them.

• @Roccandil
    With the current talent tree you can solo everything* with unenchanted primitive weapons and hide armor (rags for mages).

*with the exception of whisps for melee/archers since those are immune to physical damage

I sort of agree/disagree, in some sense it did kind of needlessly got difficult by adding an unnecessary stipulation of having to be a city member just so you can use certain crafts.

At this point in time it's not entirely necessary to have those equipment (although they do help a lot) but in the long run, if this ideology of only having access to certain craft/trades by being a member of a city could potentially put off many people. For one, cities are typically reserved for established guilds already, which would push newcomers off to joining a guild straight away just so they can gain access to those trades, this means that players generally don't have the breathing space of deciding which one to join.

Sad part is, once you're a member of a city, you'd find that you don't even need to be in the city or in your home a vast majority of the time, yet you're somewhat tied to the idea that 'you need to come home cause your inventory is full'.

To break down some of the issues that I found, and i do acknowledge that this is coming from a place of ignorance as I do not know what the future features are;

1. There is an emphasis that cities are the only ones to have access to certain processing/trading utilities, i.e; tubs, weavers, work table, etc. which puts a gate/barrier for everyone.

City governors typically would not open up these services to the public, especially not tubs considering the 16 hour wait involved in processing those materials.

So what chance does a player who has not decided which city to join would have? if you're a new comer and all you're experiencing is the not even the very bare bones of the game, and in-order to experience a 'richer' content, you're then forced to join a group of people when you barely even know what's available out there for you. Imagine governors/guilds looking at their application list and going "who the hell are these people in the first place?" naturally they'd prioritise who they already know (guild members).

I'm predicting that you'll have a lot of players abandoning cities/guilds as they experience the game more as they begin to learn or understand what they want out of their gaming experience, would this lead to a productive/positive longevity of a guild/city? I'm leaning on no.

2. Cities are supposed hubs for trading, spawn points and NPCs where players can group/gather.

Yet somehow, only 'citizens' (typically guilds) are the only ones that would be allowed to access much of its amenities, perhaps this will change over time and that these cities would allow for their services to be more open to public, and thus allow for more people to gain access to it, and thus enticing more people who do not live in city to use its amenities but at this point in time where every one of those things are gated, it just doesn't do anyone any favour. This brings me to point number 3.

3. Houses are practically useless at this point.

Other than a spawn point (which can easily be covered by Taverns) and a storage unit (which from my understanding at this point in time, can be covered by a bank), i just don't see the point in building your own home.

Some might comment that perhaps with the implementation of farms and animal husbandry, a house will be more useful, but if you've seen the size of plot of lands allotted in cities, i dont think theres much space for said projects. I don't even see how a 'palace, castle, or manor' could fit in any of those lots, let alone house animals and farms.

From my perspective, starter towns are essentially the model for 'city structures', and at this point in time i don't even see a need for players to build their own city as majority of player needs are covered in starter towns, perhaps the novelty of city building or the exclusivity of having your own semi-public tanning tub and carpenter is the only thing that's requiring people to build a city.

but if a carpenter/wood workshop can only be used in a city, is it really necessary to disallow private lands (both city and non-city) to not have access to their own personal tanning tub, worktable, and weaving station?

it's kind of unnecessary from my perspective. Cities themselves would have exclusive NPCs already, i just dont see the need to gate the most basic things out of 'solo' players, not even 'solo' players at this point, any person with a plot of land for that matter.

4. Having a house in a city actually feels more disadvantageous at this point than having any benefits.

From my perspective, the most 'ideal' thing for a person to do is to sign up as a member of a city but build your house outside of the city (if that is possible).

That way, you as a player would have the opportunity to choose a much more strategic spot for a 'storage dumping ground' and not feel tied to a certain location. Travelling back and forth from one end of the map to the other just so you can deposit things is indeed quite tedious.

But if you're a member of a city but have your house built elsewhere, you still have access to the city amenities whilst still having your personal strategic location outside of it. Not only that, if you feel the need to relocate, you can just abandon that lot and set up a new one.

@catraccoon I personally believe that all of this is only an issue, due to the trading aspect of everything not being implemented yet. If players could trade, a solo player could simply buy crafted gear off of players in cities. Also, like @Zori said, your plot doesn't HAVE to be in the town itself. This means that you could simply ally with a city to be able to craft your own gear, but be a recluse anyways. This could either be an aggreed upon thing, where u help the city out with some things in return for being able to use the crafting stuff, or just cause and trust they wont boot you.

@Xzait said in Solo playing became extremely difficult.:

This means that you could simply ally with a city to be able to craft your own gear

yes but the problem is, majority of these cities are guild run, and even if they're not, their services are not open to public. This can be easily remedied by opening them to the public; not a big deal.

but then the issue comes when you have 500 players all wanting to use the carpenter at the same time, or tanning tubs, how's that going to be managed?

Tanning tubs can be easily fixed by allowing players to have tanning tubs in their home like it did before. If they still want 'cities' to have a purpose then, fine let the leather workshops only be in the cities but this time make the players bring their resources and process them into finished goods in the city, instead of the players having to use a very public tanning tub.

@Zori Unfortunately, it isn't possible to open them to the public. I live in Duath, rather close to the east spawn and wanted to make them accessable for all passers by, but couldn't. If you still need a town to live in tho, we are open to all 🙂

@Zori Unfortunately, it isn't possible to open them to the public. I live in Duath, rather close to the east spawn and wanted to make them accessable for all passers by, but couldn't. If you still need a town to live in tho, we are open to all 🙂

im already in town, but if i were being completely honest, i've barely lived in the town. as soon as we're done building and crafting our weapons, there was practically no need to come back to town unless you're storing items again.

I live all the way down in Eden, you can imagine the fun im having when I have to go to the Goblin Hills or Heartwood.

and that is unfortunate that we can't open them to the public, I was thinking about starting a town and making it open for everyone as it seems to be the logical thing to do but it looks like that would be a futile effort.

@Zori said in Solo playing became extremely difficult.:

im already in town, but if i were being completely honest, i've barely lived in the town. as soon as we're done building and crafting our weapons, there was practically no need to come back to town unless you're storing items again.

I live all the way down in Eden, you can imagine the fun im having when I have to go to the Goblin Hills or Heartwood.

and that is unfortunate that we can't open them to the public, I was thinking about starting a town and making it open for everyone as it seems to be the logical thing to do but it looks like that would be a futile effort.

Lol, you aren't far from me!! I know the pain of going to Goblin Hills or even Heartwood. I went to Heartwood 3 times and Goblin Hills twice within the last 24h XD Am pretty disappointed about the crafting stuff restrictions, but i guess it sorta makes sense. Coulda been something they implemented when trading was available instead of now, when it isn't.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

I had zero issues with any mobs in either the goblin hills or the vale of shadows, that said I do 100% agree that solo playing in the long term will become unplayable as long as cities have their facilities only accessible to town members. Guilds will absolutely be 100% selfish, that's just how it is.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I really don t get it. Why are people playing mmos (massively MULTIPLAYER online) and expect to be able to do everything in the game solo ? I get that beeing more independent is great BUT I also get that settlements need to have a function- or else they are useless.

I have played other mmos where u basicially had to work together with other players to achive anything in game. So in my opinion fractured has already a heavy focus on solo-players.

Regarding the armor: just get someone to give u access to the tanning tubs or trade stuff for armor, not that hard to do- is it ?

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Zori I think cities should have both advantages and disadvantages. If I spend gold to build a house, I must get some advantages that are not available in the city. It's all a matter of balance.

yes, i agree. i do not understand why MMO have to be only for groups, that why games are only played by a small player group, make the game solo friendly, and it will be the biggest MMO...
    there is many ways it can be done, but all the content need to be playable for solo or group.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@grofire I played an open test with my wife and we wanted to continue playing together. It is very convenient for us. MMO gives us the opportunity to play in a living world, but we want to relax in the game. We have enough communication in real life and we are not looking for communication online.

@catraccoon said in Solo playing became extremely difficult.:

@grofire I played an open test with my wife and we wanted to continue playing together. It is very convenient for us. MMO gives us the opportunity to play in a living world, but we want to relax in the game. We have enough communication in real life and we are not looking for communication online.

yes, i do not want to be forced to be a part of a group... its ok that there will be consequence in time and "easy of use" for playing solo, but it shouldn't be prohibit.

• Content Creator

@Tyrgrim Solo play has always been a major draw of MMOs actually, going back to Ultima, Online the first major MMO out.

The Multiplayer feature isn't simply a demand that we require group play tactics, but rather, people want to be in a shared dynamic world where what they do changes things, and what others do also change things, where they can compete with other players directly, and not simply on some leaderboard. I've played MMOs for years, since Ultima, Online in fact, and most of my MMOing career has been Soloing the games. I would occasionally join in on a raid team, but generally only when it was absolutely required, or specifically when a group of friends managed to come on and synchronize things. (a rare occurrence in my situation usually)

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

You can be a citizen of a city but have a housing plot in the wilderness. You just won't be able to be a citizen of another city at the same time. So you can be a citizen of one city to use the crafting tables but have your own private house in the woods. @grofire @catraccoon

@Harleyyelrah said in Solo playing became extremely difficult.:

You can be a citizen of a city but have a housing plot in the wilderness. You just won't be able to be a citizen of another city at the same time. So you can be a citizen of one city to use the crafting tables but have your own private house in the woods. @grofire @catraccoon

I don't think that's the point that they're trying to make.

What they're trying to point is the heavy emphasis on being a part of a group for the very basic things in the game.

not everyone likes to be co-dependant with others; they want to be able to operate as an individual every now and then.

@Harleyyelrah it doesn't make it better... you will need to pay the city tax and contribute whatever the city demand, and build your own home too.
    how is it better?
    in all recent MMO i played its seemed like you had to part of a guild (for example albion) but it wasn't fun... all the good guilds just force you to do staff and you get a small or non of the achievement.
    its not a bunch of friends that play together, its usually several no life players that want to exploit you.
    and no you can't go and find a different guild, since without FF, you will get zerg down every time.

and @Zori is right.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured