April 12 Player Cities Q&A Livestream - List Your Questions!

• DymStudios - CEO

Hi everyone!

Player cities are the next big feature coming to the world of Fractured. The first iteration of the system is going live in Alpha 2 - Test 3, but we'd like to take a moment to discuss it with you beforehand with a dedicated Q&A!

That is why I'm going to be live on Twitch onΒ Sunday, April 12, fromΒ 7pm CEST (1pm EDT).

So, wait no more: start posting all your questions here! Don't feel limited, ask me whatever comes to your mind - and enjoy it being replied to on video!

THREAD RULES

• The Q&A is about player cities, let's stick to this topic specifically.
    • Don't make more than one post
    • It's fine if your questions are complex, but please post questions, not essays!
    • ...and no more than 2 or 3, please πŸ˜‰
    • Also, split them clearly if you got more than one.
    • This is a dedicated question thread. Don't start discussing with your fellow community members!

To tune in, just openΒ Oxfurd's Twitch channel a few minutes before the time announced above - we can chat a little before the Q&A session begins!

Thank you all and... see you soon!

– Jacopo

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

How will stores and shop work in player cities, if I wanted to open a shop specifically about ores and mining equipment (first thought that came to mind) how would it work? Would it still work even whilst I was offline? And would I be able to create an auction house type system?

Will there be rare drops or specific weapons that are very difficult to get?

Cheers from Spain! πŸ™‚

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

How the town progression system is going to work in practice?

1. If we look the Feature Spotlight #7 - Towns, Governors & Politics. There is mention of five stages of the town development which are Hamlet, Village, Town, City and Metropolis. What kind of activities players needs to accomplish or what kind of actions will effect to the progression of town?

2. What separates these town development stages from each other? What more a higher level town will offer on top of the size?

• Will there be different types of player cities? For example, a rogue town or a city of knights?

1. Will there be any limitation in size of player cities? If there will be limitation in size, will it be by number of buildings, or by geographical area size?

2. Will two different player cities be allowed to be close to one another, and will it be possible that they grow into metropolis if they both grow in size and connect? How will town leadership and borders be dictated in such scenario, will those two cities still be treated separately, or as one new city?

πŸ™‚

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Will we see Guild cities along with player run ones?

Is there any talk about making a banner system for the cities to set them apart from others?

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

Are Guild cities going to exist and if so, will they always be at risk to being lost to other guilds OR will their be dedicated times/days where guild towns will be accessible to conquer.

EDIT: I missed the no more than 2/3 questions bit! πŸ™‚ I suppose I could cluster these according to general subject. πŸ˜›

Expansion/growth/permissions (what I'm most interested in):

• Will a city be one giant plot (basically, an oversized claim), will it be split into a grid of plots, or have a different mechanic entirely?
    • How will that relate to expansion? For instance, if walls are a defensive structure, and the city expands beyond existing walls, how will that be handled? Will the walls move to the new perimeter, or will they stay in place, allowing us to have cities with layers of walls?
    • Can we physically divide the interior of larger cities with walls and gates into quarters (a trade quarter, military quarter, temple quarter, etc.)?
    • Can we logically divide the interior of cities with permissions? For instance, I'd love to be able to appoint administrators over city quarters (not just houses).

Defense:

• What defensive structures will be available for cities, such as walls, towers, or siege emplacements? Can NPC guards be hired?

Cosmetic/customization:

• Will there be cosmetic variations on the same structures, based on building materials (a marble palace versus a granite palace)?
    • Will Beastman, Human, and Demon cities have different graphics and build options?
    • Will everything buildable be modular or based on blueprints? How much possible customization can we expect?

Destruction/decay:

• What happens if a large city falls a level? Will structures on the outskirts decay?
    • What will be involved in replacing a structure? Will we be able to salvage building materials?

Random:

• Will farms within cities work like the ones in the current starter town, or will there be a much longer growing period? (assuming farms within cities is possible)
    • Will there be any instanced housing within cities?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

1. If a guild city is created can people not in the guild still settle in the city if they have permission or would it be strictly guild members only?
    2. If a free city has the 2/3rd votes to become a guild city what happens to the 1/3rd of the people who voted against it? Do they get kicked out, or do they remain in the city?

1. What parts of the city functionality do you plan to have available for Alpha 2 Test 3?
    2. How do you plan to ensure various people testing all the 'mayor' functionality in these 2 weeks (you likely want to have a high amount of 'fluctuation' in that position, but not too much to stop people from testing what they should test)?

• TF#5 - LEGATE

If you have an outlying house, will you get the choice to join a nearby city when they expand, or are the city limits fixed?

Salve,

As pointed out in Spotlight #7 – Towns, Governors & Politics, the most important metric of a town is its prestige counter, contributions to the prestige of a town are tracked for each citizen, and total prestige can earn the town the title of Village, Town, City and Metropolis.
    Which player actions earn prestige points? Each action grants the same amout of prestige points? If not, how the actions are ranked in terms of pretige points? The player actions have to be carried inside the town area to account for prestige points? How the total prestige thresholds are define for a town to evolve/regress from the current title to the next/previous title?

It was also pointed out that neutral areas are located around the borders of a village area, etc, and that in these areas of the map all kinds of player buildings are forbidden. And knowing that usually the town areas are interleaved by free areas that can be claimed by players. So, all this mean that two town areas cannot merge, thus preventing small cities to become metropolis? if many players claim areas in the free areas and build enough houses to be as populated as a village, these players settlements will not have the option to evolve into official towns? claimed areas cannot be merged into town areas?

Finally, knowing that a metropolis is a town area large enough, with a large population of NPCs and players and with enough player activity. From a tecnical point of view, can you give some insights of how the developers are planning to manage the big computational load that such player concentrations will impose in the game servers, so that to playability is ensured and smooth?

Ciao.

• Wiki Editor

I am curious about the next Q&A.
    My questions i placed yesterday in Discord.
    Nice other questions are in here. πŸ™‚

Can we have mercenary guilds and guard routes to patrol town and citys, if the city is big enough can it recruit a army

Excited for this weekend ! I hope you are all there !

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

1. Will guilds be able to control multiple cities and build something akin to a nation?
    2. Will there be any formal alliance system between cities?

• @SatelliteMind89 said in April 12 Player Cities Q&A Livestream - List Your Questions!:

1. Will guilds be able to control multiple cities and build something akin to a nation?
    2. Will there be any formal alliance system between cities?

Both are answered in the pinned thread, and the short version is yes for both.

• @Prometheus When can we get the video of the Q&A on Youtube?

• Wiki Editor

@Clinion said in April 12 Player Cities Q&A Livestream - List Your Questions!:

@Prometheus When can we get the video of the Q&A on Youtube?

Oxfurd is at the moment at cutting and preparing the Stream from Twitch for Youtube.
    I guess it will take a while. πŸ˜‰

@Kralith said in April 12 Player Cities Q&A Livestream - List Your Questions!:

Oxfurd is at the moment at cutting and preparing the Stream from Twitch for Youtube(...)

Which, given how much Oxfurd seems to dislike Discord, has me wonder why they aren't setting up a Jitsi/Jibri server. Stable video and audio streaming (Open Source, so if there's issues they could easily commit a fix) with an automatic youtube stream recording.

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured