MMORPG with MOBA movement is an issue?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Premise: During the last alpha test I was able to explore and have travelled many hours, found a house, built the house and fought as many monsters as I could to increase the knowledge and get a good hang of the possibilities of these systems. I come from a semi-hardcore gaming background and have played both MMOs(extensively) and MOBAs(casually).

Problem: Both me and some friends noticed the increasing stress put on the right hand, resulting in several and more frequent breaks as the time passed by.

I am very curious to know how was the community experience around the mouse movement/combat/interaction system?

• It's not really a moba thing. Most rpg / hack'n'slash games are like this. I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I believe it gets better when we have mounts and options for auto walk 🙂

• Wiki Editor

Well for running around you don't need to click all the time... just click hold.

For me the movementsystem is not that bad.
    It surely needs still some hard polishing here and there.
    But the general it works well for me.
    I even noticed, that i got after short while a quite smooth handling of movement.
    Even at "interactions" at other player.
    I don't really see there a problem for an MMO and neither for RPG.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

I don't see how this movement is any different than any other top down/isometric game. It's pretty standard.

I have not had any issues so far. I would also say this does not add any additional strain? If you have a free cam you kinda have to always move your camera after all? If this is a problem, how are people playing ARPGs or MOBAs for hours?

I played some Lost Ark between some tests (a MMORPG with top down cam) and after coming back i somehow felt one problem with it in Fractured... running "south" you can see a lot less than running "north", compared to Lost Ark this somehow seemes to be "a bigger problem" in Fractured. Might just be me 🤷

As someone who came from a free cam only MMORPG backround, I actually like the top down more now 🙂

i asked for WASD movement but they wont put it in.

• DymStudios - CEO

@Balderly I understand how travelling for a long time can be annoying right now, so we're definitely considering adding a switch to simulate holding the left mouse button down 🙂

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Jetah

Yep, I asked for that ages ago as well. Not really sure why they are dragging their feet on it. Sure you miss out on a few degrees of movement, but you still get 8 right? But it opens up so many possibilities and increases your market/playerbase. Wins all around tbh

I personally want it so I do not have to use a silly toggle when I'm playing with a gamepad. Toggles are boring haha

Well with wasd movement you would have a clear advantage over mouse to move users. I don't think to have both is a good idea, so it has to be wasd only or mouse only. I personnaly would prefer mouse only 🙂

@Shivashanti said in MMORPG with MOBA movement is an issue?:

Well with wasd movement you would have a clear advantage over mouse to move users. I don't think to have both is a good idea, so it has to be wasd only or mouse only. I personnaly would prefer mouse only

How do you have an advantage as a wasd user?

@Eurav because you can focus on aiming with the mouse and not moving too with it, it's a complete different playstyle. And we got mostly skillshots so you are in a advantage if you can for example just move right and shoot left, if you have to do that with mouse moving much more "skill" (mouse movement, clicking per minute) is involved

inb4 someone connects 2 mouses, and then moves with 1 and shots with another. 😛

@Gothix said in MMORPG with MOBA movement is an issue?:

inb4 someone connects 2 mouses, and then moves with 1 and shots with another. 😛

Living in year 3000

I want a follow option, so I can just hook up to anyone close by going the right direction.☺

I really don't care the click to move option. WASD would be nice too but is less than 5% of my decision to play a game or not.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Moves like most top down MMOs doesn't it? Those of us who played UO still have all of our joints intact 😛

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I use and have always used a Logitec Trackball. (Thumb style)

I played a hefty amount this test (on earlier) and have ran the entire continent with no real stress on my hand.

But I completely understand the point.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

@Shivashanti I agree here. With the style of gameplay I experienced, WASD movement does not make sense to me. It is not a 3D environment where you are using your mouse to look about. It looks like an autorun option is in consideration, and that will do for me. When there are also mounts, long treks will not be as bad.

That being said, I did NOT enjoy the long treks. Having come in after so many parcels were claimed, spending 45 mins to an hour just running to find a free location did give me a sore hand. I actually found that holding it down was worse than clicking at the edge of the screen every so often. It also did not help that I died (not just knocked unconscious, actual 0 health dead), and respawned back where I started after the first 30-ish mins, making my journey take more like an hour fifteen mins total to find my vacation home :p. I did not mind having to make that trek and putting in the effort to cross the continent, but the aforementioned autorun would have been much appreciated :).

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

no, i dont think so, but im not an expert

@Rinlian said in MMORPG with MOBA movement is an issue?:

Moves like most top down MMOs doesn't it? Those of us who played UO still have all of our joints intact 😛

you aren't 12 either. at 40 it'll hurt more and heal slower.

@Shivashanti

then they place a toggle
    if combat, no WASD.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured