Is Fractured going to be as grindy as say Wurm On-line?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

In other games of this type, it seems that you have to spend -alot- of game time grinding out chores to get your character leveled up to a decent amount. Is Fractured going to be like that?

• @Headbash No levels, you grind only for abilities you use and for equipment you use. And the only quests you do are ones for changing effect of those abilities. Check alpha replays to see how long it takes to grind ability (but donΒ΄t forget its still alpha).

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@asspirin said in Is Fractured going to be as grindy as say Wurm On-line?:

@Headbash No levels, you grind only for abilities you use and for equipment you use. And the only quests you do are ones for changing effect of those abilities. Check alpha replays to see how long it takes to grind ability (but donΒ΄t forget its still alpha).

there's no quest, only exception is the karma changes for angels, lich and abominations. while it isn't a 'quest' the only other task i know of will be unlocking the different ranks of skills.

@Headbash
    there's no leveling for characters. Wurm is an asian grind game, which most asian games are.

• Wiki Editor

There are some answers to find, we discussed it several times. πŸ˜‰
    I just can say, that they are on a good way between being able to grind and not neccessarily need to do it. If it would have shown that it will be grindy as other games, many of us would not be here anymore. I am very sure about this point.
    I like sometimes grind, if i want to do it, but not if i get forced to do it.
    The level of Grind you already have in Alpha seems to promise a huge variety of things you will be able to do. It is good to have all these small things, you have to do, like picking up while traveling to the next POI 10 Stones and 5 Branches. People will know what i mean. πŸ˜‰

Well, i did a small research for comments by Prometheus about Grind.

I think, the first result can explain it in a good way about the idea the Studio has about it.

@Prometheus said in Feature Spotlight #3 - The Knowledge System:

@vs21314 said in Feature Spotlight #3 - The Knowledge System:

And they say you wont unlock them from grinding the same thing, but I feel like in the end there isn't much difference from grinding the same thing to grinding quest to quest or area to area. So its still going to be grinding either way.

Well, that depends on your definition of grinding I guess. To us, repeating the same action at the same location (e.g. farming a mob camp for hours) to accomplish something (e.g. leveling up) is "grinding", and gets us bored quickly. Having to do several different actions at different location - including exploration, crafting, PvE, gathering - is not really a "grind" - and you can even unlock abilities while doing something related to a totally different objective πŸ™‚

To the Leveling:
    @Headbash said in Is Fractured going to be as grindy as say Wurm On-line?:

....to get your character leveled up to a decent amount. Is Fractured going to be like that?

You don't level up your Character.
    If you stand naked with an veteran beside a naked Beginner, they will have same amount of stats.
    Well, there will be some differences depending on which Stats you chosed with your available Points when you create your character. Some will be more strong, some more intelligent, per example.
    You keep these Stats with you, they will not rise.
    But you will be able to be for sure better than the beginner, if you chosed your right Equip and Skills. Your dominance is based on the Knowledge you have.
    And Knowledge is what you need to "grind". But you will be able to get them relativly easy, but to master them (not implemented yet i think) will take time.

Isn't knowledge going to increase your stats? I thought I saw some bonuses from knowledge unlocks. However, the stats are capped at 25 right? That includes all outside bonuses from gear and knowledge? The knowledge to me is what sounds like the grind.

@Farlander no knowledge has nothing to do with your stats, they are only used to learn skills and perhaps to skill the knowledge tree (to be said we know nothing explicit about that tree yet)

• "What’s the Natural Score of an attribute? It’s the sum of your basic score, defined at character creation, plus points coming from talents. Indeed, each branch of the Talent Tree contains talents that grant a total of +2 to a specific attribute. So there you go – even a poor Human who enjoys no cap modifiers can score a 20! "
    source

And talents are unlocked using knowledge.

So far, no sign of anything approaching the grindiness of Wurm Online. πŸ™‚

It does look like you need to kill a certain number of each type of creature to get maximum knowledge in that creature, which may come with its own issues, since some creatures appear hard to solo, and it's not clear (to me) who gets the knowledge from a party kill.

@Roccandil I would argue that crafting is going to be grindy lol. From what I could tell from building a house it seemed rather click intensive.

@Farlander

Yeah, building a house is tedious, but nothing like Wurm Online! πŸ™‚

In Wurm Online you had to grind masonry/carpentry skill before you could build, and then building was even grindier than Fractured! πŸ˜›

@Roccandil said in Is Fractured going to be as grindy as say Wurm On-line?:

@Farlander

Yeah, building a house is tedious, but nothing like Wurm Online! πŸ™‚

In Wurm Online you had to grind masonry/carpentry skill before you could build, and then building was even grindier than Fractured! πŸ˜›

I like the sound of that ⛏

• House building tedious? At least in the current version it takes about 2 hours to build one..

@Razvan said in Is Fractured going to be as grindy as say Wurm On-line?:

House building tedious? At least in the current version it takes about 2 hours to build one..

I totally agree with you.

That is about 8 Fortnite matches, 12 - 20 youtube video's, 4 time the average snapchat use.........

Attention span has been declining and goes even worse I fear, Spending 2 hours in a raid was nothing, now people call building a house grinding ??? What is next, fighting a boss for more than 10 minutes is also a grind ?

Grinding does not equal effort.

Welcome to the next generation of gamers. If you cant to it in one click, its grinding and possibly not going to be done. Reflective of society in general I guess, short attention span, desire for instant gratification, and general sense of laziness (all generalities I am aware).

I personally love grinding I know fractured is trying to avoid it, but I hope it has some

Oh man nothing compares to grindy building like Life is Feudal lol. There were tons of resources that had to go into each wall segment. Before you could even start you had to level your ground. That even required moving dirt and rock. Some resources had to be moved from the mountains which meant alot of travelling. It would take 100s of those trips back and forth to the mountains. Resources were finite so if you ran out in one location you actually had to survey where you could find the resource again. Sometimes that meant building a new mine to get to the marble, stone, ore etc... We started out with about 8 guys working on the project of building our castle. A month later with guys working 4-8 hours a day we had about half of it done but were down to two of us. We gave up lol. Keep in mind you had to constantly replace tools which required our blacksmith making them nonstop. There also was no carts or magic to teleport around. You had to load up what you could carry and run with it back to the construction site. That in itself could take 10 minutes of just holding down a key. With that said I wouldn't complain about 2 hours. Sounds good to me πŸ™‚

Made me wanna go back to terraria I had a project of covering the entire map with a lid and getting rid of the background to make the entire surface safe then turn it in to a massive space castle, think the whole thing may take a year of playing lmao

• Im letting you know for starters your info is wrong wurm is not an asian game, it was created by Swedish guys in euro and there is no game like wurm out there yet that can compare, I will be trying this game out as many wurm players will. And we are the only ones who can say if it's even a game comparable to wurm. But if there is no real skill grind then wurm shouldn't even be in the comparison compartment. Thanks and please get ur info right before talking about games.

• Content Creator

@Roccandil They have already said in reply to the forums that if you kill something as a party, the whole party gets the Knowledge Points Credit for the creature.

Wheres the fish? Could have sworn this was about fishing when I saw a worm on a line πŸ™‚ and yes, it is pretty grindy to fish with worms sigh

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured