Creative Biome Discussion

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

As soon as I saw that they had ideas on biomes. It dawned on me that they definitely need to make sure these biomes are diverse and have different feels and layouts to them. I wonder if there is any idea on mixed or cross biomes? Either 70/30 or a small section of one biome within another biome.

We could have a plains that has a small section in the middle with a grassland section or a small marsh within a forest. It I think depends on how large the biomes are and how much physical game world they will take up if this will be possible.

Drops some different biome ideas that you guys have and maybe it will help make the game world a more coherent and diverse location to roam.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I think more fantasy like biomes will also be fun. something like the "Land of Sweets", "Land of Flowers", "Land of Snowflakes" and the "Land of Amusements" would also be cool biomes!!!

• Wiki Editor

@Mrchipps i can understand your curiosity about the biomes and their placing in world.
    Maybe a bit from earlier Videos.
    But for now we don't even know much about how the world will be designed in its whole.
    For that we have to wait, till we do the first steps at Myr.

But the idea about such a thread is a good one.
    I am sure, we will much discuss about such things while Alpha. 🙂

@Althalus
    I think they plan much more biomes later, since they will have to form 3 whole Planets.
    We will surely see some very nice biomes then.
    To have hopefully expectations is quite okay, but it has to fit into the world of Fractured.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

I think that this thread could be pretty great ^^ Something that I'd love to be able to do is trek through a dense swamp...or maybe a tall grass savannah...oooooooh this could be really cool!

@kermadecc
    they have the swamp in the gameplay videos.

• DymStudios - CEO

@Mrchipps said in Creative Biome Discussion:

As soon as I saw that they had ideas on biomes. It dawned on me that they definitely need to make sure these biomes are diverse and have different feels and layouts to them. I wonder if there is any idea on mixed or cross biomes? Either 70/30 or a small section of one biome within another biome.
    We could have a plains that has a small section in the middle with a grassland section or a small marsh within a forest. It I think depends on how large the biomes are and how much physical game world they will take up if this will be possible.

Quoting from the update:

Moreover, there can be visible differences even within the same biome. Here’s an example of a Birch Forest and an Oak Forest sub-biome within a Grassland biome:

So yes, things already work that way! You can have a grassland biome that is about 1 km2 in size, and inside of it have one or more forests, of different types. What is not possible is to have a swamp as part of a grassland (which would make it different from a swamp part of a dry plain, for instance), because a swamp is a main biome. However, we could easily design a portion of map to have a small swamp biome surrounded by grasslands. Everything is possible! 🙂

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@Jetah Hmmm...must have missed that xD

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

hey guys i love this topic cos i had the same topic in another game and they sort of locked it cos it was not appropriate, but, i will tell you why. in that game bioms was changed in every 100 meters which is stupid and i told that to them so topic got banned. im happy that in this game you will make large bioms and it make sence. bioms cant be changed in every 100 meters. its not natural.

also i offered that every biom will have its unique resourses, which is also good i belive cos you will not be able to walk 100 meters and get frog from the swamp, you will have to travel a lot. so if you want birch wood u gotta travel far and get it. or maybe some traders who live near the birch forest will deliver it to you and sell it to you. if we will provide all bioms within 1000 meters then there will be no difference where you live. you can get any wood and any rock any ore.

maybe some bioms will have the best top ore and other dont and nobody will know exactly which one, just ramdome number, so those people who will live near will have this top ore and other biom people will have a top wood. you see? its primitive but you got an idea. so basicaly everyone will have their unique resource or number of it (more or less) and they will have to involve themself into economic relationships.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

The thing I’m MOST excited for with biomes I’m fractured is their impact on spells/environmental abilities.

However, on the topic of unique resources... I’m pretty sure that’s already planned. Especially considering demons will have different/varied resources than humans or beastmen and vice versa. Just seems like they’re already going down that path 🙂

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Prometheus

Agreed. I’m sure in time each planet will have several different Biomes

@boogis Had a good point related to unique resources and different biomes. It will be important to place biomes on the map from economy point of view. Creating local micro economies is something what sandbox games really need. It will only encourage players to explore and create trade routes if different towns and areas lacks of different resources. That way some people can make their living as merchants buying and selling goods in diffrent locations.

Albion Online has 5 biomes and 5 resource system. They have mountain, forest, swamp, Steppes and Highlands. Every biome has three different resources, one primary, one secondary and one lesser. Albion had a lot of problems to find balance between biomes and resources, which is one reason why we saw lots of different map designs in Beta. Unfortunately they did not manage to get good enough map for launch either and there is still too easy access to all resources, and local economy differences are quite small because of that. Only dropping 3 resources / biome to 2 would have a huge impact to local economies and would encourage people to travel more. So why I am telling this? I hope DS will take count this and does not make the same mistake and make too easy access to all resouces.

I know different planets will have unique resources, but its also important make some local differencies inside planets and maybe even inside continents.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured