Communication between the worlds

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@LilCassiopeia said in Communication between the worlds:

@Pwnstar Discord has voice like TS3. You just have to create a voice channel. 😎

hmmm sarcasm missed?

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Xzait said in Communication between the worlds:

@Xzoviac said in Communication between the worlds:

Possibly it each race will speak a diffrent language and you will have to learn the language to speak to other races

i dont think that would be very viable... would be frustrating to go and learn another species language... only to have the person you end up communicating with not speaking the same language as u do in reality... learn a language to not understand someone anyways. lol.

You wouldn't actually need to "learn" it like a conventional language.
    It would work more like an upgrade for your character. But this is an mmo, so it would obviously need to be earned in stages.
    WOW doesn't make you learn orcish or elvish IRL, but you can download a mod that lets you read them. Its the exact same thing.

I think the most you can hope for is a global channel which only applies to the world you are playing in.
    Like in the current Alpha 1 and I hope you will get filter options to sort out all kind of unnecessary stuff.
    But you should be able to chat with friends on your friendlist and your own guild regardless of the distance.
    As kellewic said Discord will be used also so there will be ways to organize things outside from the game.

I dont mind if we are forced to go to other worlds to use there global chats.
    But i know how easy it is to apply filters & add colours to text, so i expect at least some flavor to help tell people apart.

@islesofurth the more i think of this and what u said, the more i think it should be implemented...

Possibly it each race will speak a diffrent language and you will have to learn the language to speak to other races

coz it would make sense... and what could make it really solid is if it is part of the whole knowledge system that is being worked on.

If it is part of the knowledge system, i would definately back the idea of differenr languages between races 100%

@Pwnstar Discord has voice like TS3. You just have to create a voice channel. 😎

You are hilarious. lmao

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@ROCKARMY said in Communication between the worlds:

Will there or should there be communication between the different worlds, without actually travelling between them of course. What if you and your friend are on different worlds and wish to communicate with one another?

I think the most you can hope for is a global channel which only applies to the world you are playing in.

Probably we won't implement any global chat; it would be too chaotic and scarcely manageable. Instead, there will be the classical city, guild and group chats, and of course, you will be able to send private messages to the person in your friend list.

The possibility to have different race languages is quite impossible to develop in Fractured where cooperation, the karma system and guilds have a core role. For example, a new player won't be able to understand other guild companions unless they share the same race (It will force the creation of single-race guilds). So, language learning would represent a limit and a must to do for the majority of the in-game activities, and we don't want that.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Znirf said in Communication between the worlds:

Probably we won't implement any global chat; it would be too chaotic and scarcely manageable. Instead, there will be the classical city, guild and group chats, and of course, you will be able to send private messages to the person in your friend list.

So instead of creating multiple channels & adding a little flavour text to mitigate any chaos (the sensible option)
    You are inviting everyone to come to spam city (Runescape)

The possibility to have different race languages is quite impossible to develop in Fractured where cooperation, the karma system and guilds have a core role. For example, a new player won't be able to understand other guild companions unless they share the same race (It will force the creation of single-race guilds). So, language learning would represent a limit and a must to do for the majority of the in-game activities, and we don't want that.

So what your saying is that My guild consists of Demons, Beasts & Humans. They live on separate planets doing their own things but are all part of my guild.
    How they became part of my guild when both demons and beasts have the opposite affiliation is a huge mystery.
    But for them to join my guild they would first need to have left their world, or i left mine.
    So if you implemented a language system that everyone has been talking about that uses the lore system to unlock & was the initial steps takes when travelling to another world. This would make complete sense for everything related to travelling to other worlds.
    Also a new member would be able to understand everyone in the guild as all guild members would have had to unlock the required language in order to join a guild.

@islesofurth said in Communication between the worlds:

(...)So instead of creating multiple channels & adding a little flavour text to mitigate any chaos (the sensible option)
    You are inviting everyone to come to spam city (Runescape)(...)

I doubt that you could ever prevent spam, in a MMO where your message can be seen by a large group of people, regardless on the flavor text and how you set up channels.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Logain
    you mean like having a word limit in trade channels
    & setting a timer on how often you can send msg's in channels that have a large number of people present
    Or having highlights for different trade families to help people easily see the commodities they are after instead of a wall of unreadable text.

There are many ways you can solve this problem.
    However encouraging masses of people to congregate to a single location when your plan is to use a basic local chat, is just asking for problems

I'm definitely up for no zone chat. When you come across someone in the woods, you can use "say" chat to ask for group or something.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@Znirf said in Communication between the worlds:

Why not make it something we can learn via the Knowledge System, so Humans can understand Beastmen and Demons, Beastmen can understand Demons and Humans, and Demons can understand Beastmen and Humans?

The idea of only being able to learn the Human's, Demon's, and Beastmen's languages by studying them as we would any other language in reality is very cool and realistic; however, it would create the issues you explained yourself, but what if we could read books about each race that deciphers some of their words until we have full knowledge of what language they speak?

When we fully understand each race's language, their words will show up as whatever language we have set in the settings (we know our chosen race's language by default).

I really think Xzoviac's idea is a brilliant one that could fit into Fractured since, like our own homeworld, Earth is a large planet with many people who speak different languages.

I'd rather not have languages for the races. SWG had it and it didn't add anything to the game in my opinion. The first couple of weeks people were annoyed having to learn the language before they could type to their friends in spatial chat. Eventually I'm pretty sure they removed it altogether.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@Farlander said in Communication between the worlds:

I'd rather not have languages for the races. SWG had it and it didn't add anything to the game in my opinion. The first couple of weeks people were annoyed having to learn the language before they could type to their friends in spatial chat. Eventually I'm pretty sure they removed it altogether.

Since I'm not really a fan of Science Fiction games, I don't know how Star Wars Galaxies implemented the ways to learn their languages, the difficulty of learning those languages, and which races or areas had the languages, so I can't really give any input regarding that game.

However, I believe it adds a pinch of realism, mostly immersion, and a great potential for strategy for when the races invade the other races' world (primarily Demons vs. Humans since the Beastmen's planet actually purges evil) because ignorant Humans or Demon won't know the invading race's plans if they're typing in the chat. With regards to a pinch of realism and immersion, it makes no sense to me that the inhabitants of Elysium—a planet that is even larger than Arboreus—had one universal language among all Beastmen, Demons, and Humans.

Learning the language shouldn't be too difficult, but it should take time that can be spend reading books, finding and reading scriptures, and finding racial lore items or relics that can bestow the player with some knowledge about the race related to the item or relic. All of this can be done whilst exploring as a new Player due to exploration being one of the focuses of the game and character progression via the Knowledge System.

Lastly, I don't think new Players will be able to traverse to another planet as soon as they start the game due to not possessing enough knowledge that makes them stronger and due to how much effort it takes for Beastmen and Humans to open stargates (Demons seem to have lesser difficulty with them due to their deity's gift), so they will most likely spend most of their time expanding their knowledge which may just passively include learning about the other races. This also applies fledgling guilds that have yet to explore other planets; however, established guilds should be able to provide those books, scriptures, and items or relics needed to learn about the races' languages that is not their own for their guildmates to use which would expedite the whole learning process.

(E: Forgot to spellcheck the name of the Beastmen's planet.)

(...)SWG had it and it didn't add anything to the game in my opinion. The first couple of weeks people were annoyed having to learn the language before they could type to their friends in spatial chat. Eventually I'm pretty sure they removed it altogether.

It's a matter of target audience. The more 'QoL'-'fast consuming content, no effort' audience is going to hate the feature, so if that's the people the game aims for, it's a bad design decision. The more 'immersion'-'let me seat and bleed for my achievements' audience is going to love it. If that's the people you're aiming for, it's a good design decision.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Logain said in Communication between the worlds:

'fast consuming content, no effort' audience is going to hate the feature

I really don't think this is the aim of this game.
    But ya know that's just my take from everything they have shown.

Every good MMO should combine "easier content" with "harder content" so every player can do what appeals to him the most at the moment.

@Gothix said in Communication between the worlds:

Every good MMO should combine "easier content" with "harder content" so every player can do what appeals to him the most at the moment.

This is true. It is also part of player progression to move from easier to harder content during your journey. That is why I see it is important to have different degree of difficulties in game.

A language barrier is a degree of difficulty at the beginning of the game. Casual players will leave if they can't interact with their friends.

A language barrier is a degree of difficulty at the beginning of the game. Casual players will leave if they can't interact with their friends.

Friends that will leave if they cant pm each other will stick to the same race? Ie beastmen demon or human, or they wont be playing together

Making the assumption here that you will not be able to travel to other planets on day one, and need some serious time for preparation/learning (at least for the first time to be able to do so) you could also make learning the language part of that process.

As far as language barriers between people in a guild: exclude guild chat and/or how many people who play together these days on a regular basis without the use of TS or Discord?

As long as there are chat bars and chat programs languages are moot because how many times do you type in spatial chat at that point? So other languages will only affect meeting people you don't know. Other than having achievements or knowledge point gains I can see it being ignored alot of the time.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured