Fractured Sprint 12 Recap (Dec 13, 2017)

• DymStudios - CEO

Hi everyone,

welcome to the first Sprint Recap of Fractured! This post covers the work done here at Dynamight Studios during Sprint 12, which lasted from the 29th of November to the 13th of December.

If you aren't familiar with this kind of brief update yet, please have a look this introductory post.

Ready? Enjoy!

Human Body & Equipment

The human character has been further improved! We have reworked the standard rig of the model, dramatically improving the quality of the animations. Plus, we've polished the texturing of the naked body and that of some of its armor sets. Below is a picture showing one of the skins of the Leather armor from the low-poly mesh to the final version:

Leather Armor Low Poly To Completed

The weapons currently available to the player (unarmed, short sword, great sword, spear, crossbow, bow) have been visually upgraded as well. The picture below shows the 4 steps of the art pipeline behind the creation of the weapons - concept art, low poly, high poly, texturing:

Weapon Concept To Completed

Ability Galore

Projectiles, beams and sprays, added to Fractured a couple months ago already, were a nice start. In Sprint 12, we've begun expanding the number of archetypes to build new Fractured abilities on.

Much of the work has been focused on the creation of particle effects, textures and shaders for spells such as magical shields, heals, summons, terrain effects, equipment enchantments, and much more. Several of them will be shown in the upcoming Feature Spotlight, which will be the second and last chapter (for now) of the updates dedicated the Knowledge System.

To make spell development faster, we've created an ad hoc environment in a separate branch of the project where we can quickly test them out without having to load the whole of SpatialOS. A nice addition that will make us save a lot of the time in the future!

Human Buildings & Tech

As part of our ongoing effort to create all the core elements of Syndesia, our formidable art department has completed several new building components that are part of the modular construction system of Fractured. The latter will be covered in one of the upcoming spotlights, so stay tuned!

At the same time, we've created art assets for PvE locations and some examples of human technology. The picture below shows concepts and low-poly versions of a few of those, namely:

• Some ruins from the peak of Human civilization on Elysium that have become the lair of a group of hostile creatures on Syndesia.
    • A stone bridge.
    • A watermill that can generate energy to power up other buildings.
    • A highly automatized forge which can be added to a human blacksmith shop.

At last, we have a very special one. Sometimes, the first iteration of a 3D model must be revised a little. In this case, it didn't actually look bad, but...

...and yes, Humans can develop gunpowder, of course!

Open World II

As we've explained in the latest SOTG update, one of the most important features of SpatialOS is that it's designed to create open worlds of (virtually) unlimited scale and containing a massive amount of entities.

Before Sprint 12, we had never made use of this power in full, forcing the server to use to employ a single process (or worker, as it's called in the SpatialOS terminology) to control the whole world.

In Sprint 12, we've split the world into a grid, with each cell of the grid controlled by a single worker. This grid exists in the server only, of course - in the client, the player just sees an open world without any boundary. After doing in so, as expected, we've experienced several issues related to the moment an entity (a player or an AI-controlled creature) moved to a different cell of the grid, thus got to be controlled by a different worker.

One by one, we've tackled all the bugs, until none was left. Is it over then? Not really! While now we can have an open world of unlimited size, a huge amount of entities (players) close to each other in the same cell of the grid would overload the worker controlling the cell, ultimately causing it to fail. The next step will be to allow workers to dynamically change the size, shape and location of the area they control, getting rid of the concept of "grid" entirely.

What's Coming Next

Most of the works described above are still in progress - more abilities have to be added, and plenty of human structures must be finalized. This constitutes the bulk of the currently running sprint, while we also move towards the creation of the first long footage of Fractured, featuring some sweet PvE action!

See you soon and, as always, don’t forget to let us hear your feedback! πŸ˜„

• TF#5 - LEGATE

This post is deleted!

• TF#5 - LEGATE

@Specter where is moderator πŸ˜‚

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

ahhh that is not a crossbow, just saying.

and YES! penis cannons. I knew I liked this game πŸ™‚

seriously thanks for the update!

• Community Manager

@lehuan5062 said in Fractured Sprint 12 Recap (Dec 13, 2017):

@Specter where is moderator πŸ˜‚

I am here. πŸ˜‰

I know Prometheus kinda brought it upon himself, but please don't spam about penises.

Sweet! I can't wait for more technical updates on your experience with Spatial OS.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

The graphics are looking great. πŸ˜„ Especially the leather armor.

Always good to read about progress you made πŸ˜‰

• TF#10 - CONSUL

You killed me x) I have a question, why not doing the weapons in low-poly ? I suppose it is more realistic in high-poly, but does it makes the game more heavy ? But it is funny to see how really are the elements of the game, without textures πŸ˜›
    Nice work, waiting for the next step πŸ™‚

• TF#10 - CONSUL

this is really interesting to see. i'm glad we get to follow the development.
    there's gunpowder but people use bows instead of guns? makes you think.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@deity said in Fractured Sprint 12 Recap (Dec 13, 2017):

this is really interesting to see. i'm glad we get to follow the development.
    there's gunpowder but people use bows instead of guns? makes you think.

Because only humans can use technology. πŸ˜› https://forum.fracturedmmo.com/topic/330/artifacts-and-technology/8

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@vengu but even then since we know there's travel between worlds i don't think it would make any sense if only one of the planets had cannons. even if someone couldn't steal, someone would be able to develop the same thing by just knowing what it does. this isn't some form of magic only avaliable to a certain race. this is humans being further in technology and other races copying or stealing it. at least that's what i think.
    edit: even if we assume only humans have cannons that would mean they would have actual guns instead of bows then?

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Lol penis cannons!

glad to see a team with a sense of humour

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Very nice update!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Great to see this type of post, little updates of what's being done in the office really makes it easy for followers to not lose interest as we know the developers are still working.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Love it! πŸ™‚

Looking forward to the next one.

Some images are starting to appear!! πŸ˜„
    Loving the aspect that the human/gear is getting.. Getting more hyped for this πŸ˜›
    Hope you give us more updates with images/footage soon πŸ™‚
    Thanks and keep up the good workd team ^^

• Can we a true nude aspects mmorpg this time? like conan? ill be mature enought, promise.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

wow looking forward

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured