Feature Spotlight - Towns and Tech

• Hello adventurers!

It's time for a Feature Spotlight, this time we'll talk all about housing, towns and everything you can expect from player-made towns! 🏑

What feature are you more interested in?
    Leave a reply and let us know!

πŸ‘‰ Check the Feature Spotlight

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Well housing is great, what about in addition to housing just a place to build out and use my crafting equipment.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

What about plot sizes? Does a plot for say a Palace cost more then a villa? Or does the plot grow to accommodate the larger structure?

• Based off the last Alpha, you can also open up your home and its resources to others. So if your guildie has a house in another city, and they share the stuff in their home to the guild, you can use those chests/crafting stations as well. So spreading out your Guild will have some benefits even if the town is not sharing their crafting resources. Though if a town does share its resources they appear to collect more taxes so the town will have more to spend on growth. Interesting mechanic!

-Jeso

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

What is this? a Joke? @Arcahem @Prometheus
    f72034ac-3d0e-4630-901c-8b4c98b5dec5-image.png

1: it is missing the 3rd crop costs "Vegetables"
    2: it looks like a pic from the alpha from fall 2019.
    3: it heavily locks out starting progress by making the first ranks cost cereals instead of "any food"
    4: the upper ranks are far too cheep and will allow any low fertility town to reach and maintain rank 15 easily and independently thus killing a major trading aspect of the game.
    Here is a more recent and reasonable cost table. (It too is missing the "vegetables")
    City tier costs.png

Please confirm or correct the news post as what is currently posted has serious problems and will be greatly problematic for the core game structure of player made, and maintained, cities.
    Starting beta with the first chart is a serious mistake for many reasons, the least of which is that you will have to patch it at some point to the more reasonable levels and that action will be stealing joy from naΓ―ve players who took it at face value and will cause mass abandonment of cities to ruin and the game in general through the perception of the game becoming 'too hard' arbitrarily.
    Better to have the old costs where people know what they may be getting into but also letting them know that they can have and maintain a rank 4 town with only casual activity. There will be plenty of groups that can build and maintain at the higher costs, do not low ball it at the start of the beta.
    And where are the promised vegetables?!?!

-Harbinger of Famine

• @OlivePit said in Feature Spotlight - Towns and Tech:

What is this? a Joke? @Arcahem @Prometheus

The first image is what I saw in the most recent test and I did not see anything about "any food".

@Vortech
    The most recent test had no intentions on having player towns, as shown by the devs magical creation of two rank 15 towns near the starting locations.
    It is not a valid comparison with other alphas where the town mechanics were being tested, where I pulled my example from, or the coming beta where vegetables will be implemented to allow full town economies to be tested before launch.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Thanks for leaving room for those of us that play as lone wolves! It is appreciated!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I am a little more concerned about this - "While each character you create is free to join any guild, there can only be one settlement membership per account, meaning each of your characters will belong to the same settlement."

What does this mean for players who choose to make a name for each race/planet instead of those who make names for the same race/planet?

They mean one settlement membership per account per world.
    So you can be part of one town as a demon in the demon world, and one in the human world, and one in the wildfolk world.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

i hate what they have changed from the past.
    this city-centric unwelcoming solo building and solo crafting approach, is one of the worst features in the game right now.
    i hate all the changes they have done from the pre alfa till now, every test i found the game less fun, more zerg mentality, unwelcoming solo players.
    I'm so disappointed, i feel stupid that I've put any amount on the Kickstarter, and since i had super high hope, I've payed for a large package.

@grofire can I ask you what makes you think that?

The game has been evolving to become MORE solo friendly. The current system is extremely solo friendly and if anything it has issues in being very penalizing for organizations.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

The only thing i found not solo friendly in the last alpha was doing the goblins and bandits. Had to have a group for that, at least at the "level" that we were going after them.

Filling out the KP, gathering, and the limited crafting i could do were all soloable.

@DarthJafo
    With enchanted equipment and a specialized build of skills and talents you could solo the gobs and bandits. Although out of date now, two tests ago I was able to solo the bone dragon by the end of the 4 week test.
    The test before the weekend test all mobs (not so much bosses) were possible solo from what I heard.
    So very much possible, just not easy or quick.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Good to know. Didn't really have time to get that far myself. hopefully the beta will last awhile.

• @OlivePit said in Feature Spotlight - Towns and Tech:

@Vortech
    The most recent test had no intentions on having player towns, as shown by the devs magical creation of two rank 15 towns near the starting locations.
    It is not a valid comparison with other alphas where the town mechanics were being tested, where I pulled my example from, or the coming beta where vegetables will be implemented to allow full town economies to be tested before launch.

Interesting take.

I asked Jacopo in game during this last test and he indicated that this was their current state.. However, Jacopo felt there was "definitely quite some QOL" they "could add to cities".

@Vortech
    I really really hope that is not the case. If they start beta with those numbers city economy will be a joke and the situation I described will happen... again.. since that is what happened last time.

• DymStudios - CEO

@OlivePit said in Feature Spotlight - Towns and Tech:

1: it is missing the 3rd crop costs "Vegetables"
    2: it looks like a pic from the alpha from fall 2019.
    3: it heavily locks out starting progress by making the first ranks cost cereals instead of "any food"
    4: the upper ranks are far too cheep and will allow any low fertility town to reach and maintain rank 15 easily and independently thus killing a major trading aspect of the game.

Hi Olive! Always worried about the food costs I see πŸ˜„

Don't worry, the image is purely an example. The fact you need cereals from the beginning is correct though, but that's because we've made the growth of plants twice as fast as it used to be. You can now get a rice yield in 24 hours, so growth will not be "locked" for long, and high-fertility cities will be more important from day 1 πŸ™‚

@TekNicTerror said in Feature Spotlight - Towns and Tech:

What does this mean for players who choose to make a name for each race/planet instead of those who make names for the same race/planet?

That's something we still need to decide πŸ™‚ The option of 1 citizenship / land parcel per planet is on the table.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Can each race be a citizen of the other towns and guilds? I.E, Beastmen in a human town etc

Prometheus-
    Progress in this game requires equipment, which is gated by cities, which are gated by upkeep, which requires crops only available through farming done by cities. In the past tests we have seen how problems with the crop economy effects the entire test. As such I feel it is no exaggeration to say that the crop economy is the foundation of the game economy. Considering the next test is going to be a continuous beta that only ends shortly before release the initial state of the crop economy is going to be very important to the city development and player participation as any misstep early on will have cascading effects. The information given in spotlights are our only indicators as to what that starting condition may be. As such it is important that information given is valid or clearly not meant to be taken as true.

Thanks for the confirmation that the numbers shown are not the numbers that will be used for the beta. Fast growth rates and short upkeep times make sense for beta/alpha testing, good to know that. Still some concern that in launch the cereal threshold will be a major barrier for those interested in starting a city... but I guess that it will be less if they can buy that starting crop needs from another established city.

On the citizenship issue... It seems really harsh to say that you can start play in one of three worlds but only get to have a residence in one...
    I can see that only having one home forces a decision on where to focus your attention and is a decent counter to independent players who might otherwise have a house in all three worlds and just trade with themselves.
    However any group of 3 or more players will still be able to do that. In essence you are just punishing players who have complex schedules or are loners, but still want to experience all the game content offered in each world.
    The lone player is already going to have to split their time, attention, and coin between three places for upkeep. Is that not already a sufficiently high opportunity cost?

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured