Weave Fracture cataclysm, Elysium lore into exploration

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Would be cool to have game lore about origins of gods, previous civilisation and events that led to Fracture. It could be mythology driven, like all gods were in unity overseeing the previous world, and then the classic betrayal.. Or it can be technology/society driven, some off-the-rails warring faction unleashed some tech with minor involvement from gods. And now the gods divided remaining celestial bodies between each other and heavily influenced evolution. Original civilisation was very much human-like.

Lore can be in form of relics, artefacts, places of knowledge, found in ruins and caves you have to explore. Would also be cool to have visual manifestations of remnants of the previous world: cave drawings, skyscaper in the middle of a forest, bridge that used to be a tower. An example of recovered technology is stargates. Each piece of gained lore may be out of order but independent/general enough we can enjoy the story out of sequences, like diary entries. Each increasing our knowledge points of course.

This kind of literature always gives me chills, like your known origin came after something else and you gradually discover what happened before, why it happened, and how to stop it now. Metroid, chronicles of shannara, wheel of time, etc.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

It has been confirmed that their will be no story driven quest lines, but we do know that there will be some lore. However this lore doesn’t involve a modern world like you suggested as far as I know. In the first spotlight, it disscussed some parts of the lore from different perspectives, and from what I gather, the Fracture was caused by a group of human traitors how sided with a demon army lead by a blood demon. The beastmen got their own shielded world, Arboreus, and the demons were sent to Tartaros.

I apologize if I got any parts of the lore wrong (I probably did), and I hope you have a nice day!

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Sorry guys mabe im wrong but good lore you can find in games who becomes huge. Like wow. Small games doesnt have good lore

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@wolfkomodo46 Where have you seen thi spart of the lore ? ^^ In the second spotlight about the univers, they say nothing than the magic that has created the three planets is beyond imagination. Devs, if I remember, said that thee lore has not be really enriched. I don't know if they told us everything already or if there is some things we don't know yet.

I think we have the minimum required and they're some background we don't know yet. We could imagine some lore at the end of dungeons or near some ruins or shrines (some info on Gods or why "Fractured" world has been created).

After that defined, role-play text of our community could be the layer of a new Lore, a legend could be near the reality or not, it's why a sandbox would be very cool to writers. They're some canon things you couldn't change and some you could insert and turning into shape... One say once "winner write history" so if you consider the 3 civilizations history you could find some differences, probably major or minor.

Creativity could be a weapon, so once Devs define what is canon and not, we'll probably see some beautiful text content.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@gofrit said in Weave Fracture cataclysm, Elysium lore into exploration:

Creativity could be a weapon, so once Devs define what is canon and not, we'll probably see some beautiful text content.

I think we will see some nice texsts when the devs decide it worth to put time and money on, which I think won´t be the focus any time soon.

@eurav said in Weave Fracture cataclysm, Elysium lore into exploration:

I think we will see some nice texsts when the devs decide it worth to put time and money on

They're some well good writers ("bonne plume" in French, english expression not render it well i think) in our community (take a look at some Fundation Hero Profil ), money could permit you to have a well build and solid background by professional that's right, but amatory in our days could also be passionate and work on something big if they have some guidance by Devs (Pantheon relationship, some hero civilizations names, avatar of gods or not... city capital name).

So the true point is "some guidance by Devs", it's not their priority right now because of the roadmap, but if the Lore become more solid, they could drive - probably - new players.

Actually this is not canon but the actual lore is flexible and permit fantasy content like "Beast-kin and Demons was once the same race and at the Fracture Point, this race was cut in half, Tartaros chose the evil and Nelena chose the good ones"... It's not contradicting @wolfkomodo46 and could be explaining why you have Angel and Abomination... And you could probably find those words in a mystery book on the last stage of a dungeon accessible only to Galvanos followers.

@esher Look at the first spotlight where the races are introduced, and you can kind of piece together the story.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

I agree that there really needs to be decent integration of lore in the game. For many people, that's a big factor in what keeps them playing. Even if there's not a story line, per se, three potential for deep lore is great with Fractured. The devs need to make sure they don't squander that potential.

• Lore is very valuable, lets watch at WoW.. buy you need money too if you want to intergrate it in the game with some cool trailers or other things that aim to create aim.
    Anyway i think that will be a priority of beta phases if we are lucky enought.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@wolfkomodo46 In the italic text for the beastmen ? Aaah, is it really because of humans ? Yes, the beastman say "they had brought it upon themselves. Didn’t they?", but he was speaking just before of what they was doing on Syndesia "It didn’t seem like they were going to change their ways. Cutting, digging, mining, scarring the beauty Tyros had gifted them.", so, does he say they brought it upon them because of their behavior on Syndesia or because they are the cause of the Fracture ? Who knows ? 😛

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@boogis said in Weave Fracture cataclysm, Elysium lore into exploration:

Sorry guys mabe im wrong but good lore you can find in games who becomes huge. Like wow. Small games doesnt have good lore

At first I wanted to say you're wrong, but then I realized you have a good point.

Lore is all the little details that build over time, the flavour text that the authors can put in spaces that would be a precious commodity in a smaller work, the dandruff and dust of half-mentioned ideas and contradictions that builds over a long span of time punctuated with a wide array of one-off events, plot arcs and diverse writers.

Then again, say, a single-player game Darkest Dungeon has some pretty good lore (or so I heard) despite being made by a small team and having been out in the wild for barely 3 years.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I think one of the more interesting possibilities for lore is people being able to bring back book style copies that can be placed in town libraries for others to see. It makes it possible to build up knowledge of the lore through community, even if it doesn't impact knowledge for skills, and offers a nice little extra to those who are into such things.

Of course, demons might not have such a thing. Too focused on killing stuff.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@jairone said in Weave Fracture cataclysm, Elysium lore into exploration:

I think one of the more interesting possibilities for lore is people being able to bring back book style copies that can be placed in town libraries for others to see. It makes it possible to build up knowledge of the lore through community, even if it doesn't impact knowledge for skills, and offers a nice little extra to those who are into such things.

That's a brilliant idea! I don't think I've ever heard about such community-driven lore collection before.

Of course, demons might not have such a thing. Too focused on killing stuff.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
    SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!
    BOOKS FOR THE... book nightstand...?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Yeah, it's not crucial to have a lot's of lore right at the start.

This might be even better. Lore collection can grow over time, and we as players, can actually have an affect on lore like that. Fractured being sand-boxy as it will be, players can drive the story, and affect on how it evolves.

Over time DS could gather some of the stories that happened, and place them in library books in game, and perhaps intertwine them with stories about Elysium gods, and grow lore over time bit by bit.

This doesn't sound bad to me.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@dragomok Rofl. Demon overlord to minions: "I require more books. My nightstand is empty, I have nothing to read before bed. Go murder humans and get me books..."

I had an idea, back on a legendary equipment discussion, that the equipment becomes legendary because of what players have done with it, not what it's made of - you held off an Eclipse raid for 3 hours, and so your shield becomes the Legendary "Guard of Hestron" with a bit of lore on the shield that more or less proclaims the awesomeness of Calburn, Who Held at Demon Broke Pass, and some lore related to the event, suitably written. (main point was that Legendaries didn't degrade, so the lore they represented became permanent)

So, a later "historian" could go find all of Calburn's gear, and put together a story of how this hero lived, based on the legends left on his stuff. Of course, Legendary gear is sought out because it's unbreakable - handy for the 10 hour asteroid raid your guild is doing XD - and rare because you have to do something that impresses the Devs, which, yes, means a certain amount of moderation involved that I don't know if they have the time for, even post-launch, but, it is a thought.

The other idea I'd propose, vis lore, is something I'm stealing from "Yasei no last boss ga arawareta" - in it, players write "Chronicles" - sort of after-action reports on what happened in game, which then are incorporated into the lore. So - you write a Chronicle about the fall of an Empire, and some weeks later, the NPCs will start talking about how "the Empire has fallen, and what does this mean?" There are some basic requirements for writing, and if you write an outright lie, you get banned from writing further ones, and obviously the Devs have to have someone curate and distill a chronicle to implement it in game - cause while I love you all, I wouldn't trust any of you to write a game update directly XD - but as an idea, I really liked it. Figure on everyone starting out as a possible Historian, and then restrict it down to a manageable number by launch - like, a guild has 1 official Historian, rather than everyone in the guild writing, so you don't get 52 accounts of that one time Brezden tripped and fell into the beer barrel XD And maybe anyone can post a Chronicle, but they only get favored as an official one if enough people approve of it, or something, before going to the community manager for uptake?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@therippyone I was thinking more of something the dev team would add in, but maybe that could work. Ideally your blacklist idea would be a good one (where people who spam or contribute junk get banned) but with an extension for voting where people who up-vote bad things would then get a voting ban too.

Because, well, we all know if they put in a voting system it will get abused by somebody. People cheat constantly together in systems like that to try to get higher ranks, recognition, around the rules, or whatnot.

@therippyone
    Because, well, we all know if they put in a voting system it will get abused by somebody. People cheat constantly together in systems like that to try to get higher ranks, recognition, around the rules, or whatnot.

Very, very true XD as I said, you'd need a community lead (or several) running some level of oversight to make it work in reality - what a Chronicle system does is off-load some of the strain on the dev team to keep track of everything in order to craft relevant updates and content, by having the player base say "this is what is big, this is what mattered" - instead of monitoring every action of 10,000 players, you are monitoring the summaries of a 1,000 - a much more manageable system, by comparison (though still not necessarily feasible).

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@therippyone said in Weave Fracture cataclysm, Elysium lore into exploration:

I had an idea, back on a legendary equipment discussion, that the equipment becomes legendary because of what players have done with it, not what it's made of - you held off an Eclipse raid for 3 hours, and so your shield becomes the Legendary "Guard of Hestron" with a bit of lore on the shield that more or less proclaims the awesomeness of Calburn, Who Held at Demon Broke Pass, and some lore related to the event, suitably written. (main point was that Legendaries didn't degrade, so the lore they represented became permanent)

So, a later "historian" could go find all of Calburn's gear, and put together a story of how this hero lived, based on the legends left on his stuff. Of course, Legendary gear is sought out because it's unbreakable - handy for the 10 hour asteroid raid your guild is doing XD - and rare because you have to do something that impresses the Devs, which, yes, means a certain amount of moderation involved that I don't know if they have the time for, even post-launch, but, it is a thought.

Oh, Butterscotch Shenanigans (creators of Crashlands) were talking about it on one of their podcasts, and they mentioned how a lot of people wanted to use blockchain for this...?

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured