Why is the Kickstarter (almost) failing.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Most of the time, on projects that are already known, Kickstarters just goes 1000% the initial funding.

But for fractured, it is at 80% 6 days before the end, and I am not sure it will go all the way. There is even a stat saying 99% of the project that goes above 80% are funded.

What do you think is the problem on fractured that may make them part of the 1% left ?

In my opinion this Kickstarter is either too expensive or too early.

I am part of the people thinking that nowadays games abused of the alpha and beta system (even if I will always be one of the first to buy an alpha access on an interesting game), and I like that fractured triee to make it very elitist, using very high prices, because alpha should be for people that invest a lot of themselves in the game, either with money or time.

But I really think you can't say on a Kickstarter that people need to pay 200$ if they want to play in less than 2 years. Most of peoples won't pay this much for a game.

The other option, is to pay for beta and wait. But it is a very long time to wait. Most of gamers won't pay 25$ to buy a game they can play in 2 years. Too dangerous, what if then you don't play anymore, or you have no time to play an MMO, or even you just don't like the game that much. Of course people will wait, even if then they need to pay double price.

I think they should have done the Kickstarter in 2 times :

1. Expensive offers over 200$ where you can play in less than 2 years. Passionate people would still have buy it and it would have been enough to pay for a some development time.
    2. Later a 2nd phase selling mostly small offers for less passionate peoples. Maybe the beta wouldn't feel so far and more people would have buy it.

I still really hope the Kickstarter will work, the game seems really awesome and I would love to know what you guys think about this subject.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

bigest problem is , ive said this before : kickstarter only accepts credditcard , and a lot of peeps dont have one.
    if it would also accpet ideal or pay pal there would be a broader audience

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

The real reasons:

1. Small studio that people don't know about yet, and don't have experience with (uncertainty factor).
    2. Publisher is still unknown (there are lots of bad publishers out there so people are being careful).
    3. Not too much concrete game play has been presented yet (Mostly only theoretical info, artwork, and the basic game play. People need to see more developed game play to get a feel if they will like the game or not.).

Fixes:

1. More promotion of the studio and developers themself (not only game promotion), it will help if people get to know the devs as well (the people behind the game) and not only the game.
    2. Announcing a publisher (that players have good past experience with) would help immensely.
    3. More development time invested into the game so more can be shown (time is needed here, there is no quick fix for this one).

• This KS won't fail, dont take early clonclusions!
    Just upgraded my pledge ☝ ☝ ☝

€84,678 pledged of €100,000 goal
    Everyone need to do his best part to make it succesful, else the project will take a huge curve from where we are now..

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Their is always a solution and this solution is to talk about this fabulous game to your acquaintances.
    and don't forget

@00 said in Why is the Kickstarter (almost) failing.:

This KS won't fail, dont take early clonclusions!

So

0_1532028238489_you-can-do-it-meme4.jpeg

• Wiki Editor

Exactly, the thing WE can do is, to talk about everywhere.
    Show them outside of our forum, what YOU think about Dynamight and Fractured!

Write to well known Portals at your country, ask them for an hint on their page!
    I got 2 nice answers till now, and one got today an article out.

Our support will be the strength of Fractured!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@ufke unfortunately KS and PayPal couldn't come to an agreement. So if anyone tries now to run PayPal before they reach KS goal they just take away money from KS and risk even more.

• @edoudou there will be something to try for knights in some months, just in case you are not alredy aware about the roadmap. Else maybe you was meaning that alpha phase is not like actually playing because is just a conceptual version?
    https://fracturedmmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Roadmap-1.jpg

I think this project is very interesting, and the game -in this very early stage- is shaping up quite nicely.

Every one of us has different stories, different backgrounds and financial means, so it is not possible to generalize, and I certainly do NOT want to.
    One thing is clear, though, we ARE all browsing the internet in search of a potential PC game to play, we are not on this site looking for a job (well, maybe there are some programmers or artists who are looking for an employment opportunity 😄 ).

That said, 20€ (Recruit Early Bird) diluted over 2 years is less than 1€ per month....

We should look at this sum as a kind of investment. The time it takes to get a fully playable game, is also time we can use to interact with the developers (who are very open to dialogue), to help them shape the game in a way even more appealing to each of us.
    Plz don't take offence, it's just my 2 cents 😉

• TF#5 - LEGATE

There simply isn't enough gameplay footage, nor is there a clear message on who they are catering too.

In one interview, they will talk about Demons being free-for-all PvP, and in the next interview, they talk about safe-zones, even for Demons... which makes quite a few of us scratch our head.

Don't try to pander to everyone. Explain clearly who you are marketing to, and show us more footage.

The money will pour in.

Kickstarter is fickle. I have seen some amazing looking games scrape by and some simply horrible looking games make way more than they should. I am pretty confident that Fractured will make it. As more of the game is made and they have the web store up they should do even more. One thing of note.... a game called Ashes of Creation had an extremely vocal group that wanted to back after the kickstarter, claiming to be in the thousands of people that are unable to back games with kickstarter. So confident was Ashes of Creations creators that they would smash all the stretch goals they made for the second sale they also made the community get upset by offering up kickstarer "exclusives" for one month after the kickstarter. They had almost no one join up and not one stretch goal was hit. They "gave" everyone one of the stretch goals that they had talked up. Moral of the story is... do not expect a surge after the kickstarter.

• I'm pretty sure the KS will succeed. I know personally and among my circle, we're not pleased about the regional servers.. I was planning on upgrading but I'm still watching how that discussion develops. @Prometheus is promptly responding but while I don't agree with the decision, I know nothing is final, and we're on a long journey of alphas, betas, and development in general. The key is explaining THAT to others and making sure they understand everything is a moving target here, nothing is final. As long as the core vision for the game speaks to them, then they should support it.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@00 yeah I really hope it won't fail, the title was a bit extreme but I did it on purpose.

I also agree with other, it is also our job to talk people into it, but as I said, most of the peoples (my friends included) won't put +200$ in a game, neither 25$ to play in 2 years. I already baited them in a lot of games (some failed... Like cube World, even if I still have a little bit of hope deep inside), but this one is too far away for them.

Also keep in mind that 85% in 70% of the time is still risky on a KS, the major part of the funding is made at the beginning of the campaign.

Just wanted to discuss what they may have done differently, or even may do in the future, to maybe help them and others succed. Even I would really like to work in video games, mostly MMOs after my current job, and I think it is important for everyone to see what was good and bad in their campaign.

@edoudou
    alpha and beta isn't for playing, it's for testing. you don't want everyone logging in expecting a near complete game but tagged with 'alpha' when there isn't a game, there is only a few abilities and a few mobs to kill. you don't want the masses in the test process. then you toss in an occasional wipe and the low cost people will be pissed.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

There's only 667 people backing it as of right now. I suppose if it fails, it'll be because there are so few, they're asking for quite a bit of money and there aren't that many active people on the forums. Still, it's also at 85% now, not 80, and only 14 hours after you started this post so it does look like it will fund.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@gothix said in Why is the Kickstarter (almost) failing.:

The real reasons:

1. Small studio that people don't know about yet, and don't have experience with (uncertainty factor).
    2. Publisher is still unknown (there are lots of bad publishers out there so people are being careful).
    3. Not too much concrete game play has been presented yet (Mostly only theoretical info, artwork, and the basic game play. People need to see more developed game play to get a feel if they will like the game or not.).

Fixes:

1. More promotion of the studio and developers themself (not only game promotion), it will help if people get to know the devs as well (the people behind the game) and not only the game.
    2. Announcing a publisher (that players have good past experience with) would help immensely.
    3. More development time invested into the game so more can be shown (time is needed here, there is no quick fix for this one).

Gothix sums up my thoughts way more concisely than if I'd tried to say it in my own words. 😄

Only two things to add:

1. Dynamite's marketing is honest, straightforward, achievable promises, practical timelines, good ideas, and grounded ambition. I love that. But marketing is all about pushing the "Back this Game" buttons on the amygdala of the audience, and truth is just one of the tools for pressing those buttons, and nowhere near the most important. The best Kickstarter marketing strategy I've seen for games is to make it look like a nostalgically beloved genre is on the verge of collapse, but This New Game is going to save it - and you dear viewer can be part of that revolution! I think that Dynamite has made the mistake of thinking that a good game idea made by competent people will sell itself. It would be nice if that was true - but it isn't.

2. Even so, I was (and still am) really surprised at the lack of response from the community. Given how active the community is here, I had assumed that this would translate through to much higher level of interest in the Kickstarter. I'm still not really sure why more people from the community aren't coming through. The whole "I don't have a credit card" thing may be part of it, sure. But it feels like even with everything else suggested here that this isn't enough of an explanation for the shortfall.

• @kairosval said in Why is the Kickstarter (almost) failing.:

Even so, I was (and still am) really surprised at the lack of response from the community. Given how active the community is here, I had assumed that this would translate through to much higher level of interest in the Kickstarter.

The daily post thread gets about 100 posts a day which is where most of the community is going to be posting. Outside of that, there are at most 50 other people getting their daily posts in from actual discussions. Where are you getting the impression that there are thousands of active people that aren't backing kickstarter?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

mmo on kickstarter had some recent failures and some succes. inexile did lots of really cool promotion movies to get people into it. (a young boy in a porsche wants to make a game for money. add lootboxes etc)the older dude then replies he wants to make a game for fun. its really funny "hey oldskool. we should make money on ..." some do use dev runs with streamers like cohhcarnage to show their game. It makes small corporations suddenly stand out.

so it all comes down to product (something working) advertisement. and in kickstarters also timing. Ways to pay (cc only and no paypal) are no problem for the majority of games that come through.

i didnt read all about fracturedmmo and dont know what they will do of the kickstarter fails. maybe a different way? i know i would happily put on a layaway over say 12 months to become a king or something like that. but that takes some planning and oinsiderations.

for the game and what they show. i think it will be as good as they intend it to be.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I think the main reason is because the kickstarter doesn't explain what is included in the packs and what the game really is. I have seen the kickstarter before and lost interest as soon as I saw VIP and Carpenter in the packs, and there is no place where the KS explains what this two things include.
    And most of the interesting information about the game can only be found in the website news or the forums, people who see the Kickstarter only won't know about the knowledge system, only if they click through the links in the KS.

@aktanom said in Why is the Kickstarter (almost) failing.:

mmo on kickstarter had some recent failures and some succes. inexile did lots of really cool promotion movies to get people into it. (a young boy in a porsche wants to make a game for money. add lootboxes etc)

Oh come on! It's not a Porsche. That's a Ferrari! ✌
    (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv)

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured