Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@vortech said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

Larger MMO with less niche mechanics do not survive regional servers, do you really believe a full loot game like this will?

Even if community would end up spread to thin, it's always possible to merge the servers down the line if need be.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

The importance for a game like this , is the playability ... And the latency haven't to become a problem.

I agree for separate servers with the possibility to join both.

@prometheus said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

(...)until the NA/SA/EU userbase is large enough to sustain two servers(...)

Is there any chance that you could elaborate a bit on the metrics you're going to use for this decision? (For example, are you going to look at total amount of player, at concurrent players, at peak times/low times, at the distribution of Beast/Human/Demon,...)

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I really have to point out not everything must go according to "community feedback" because honestly, I've probably seen more crap ideas from community feedback than good ones. If games get swayed by the community too much, it gives the community a sense that anything they want will happen and they themselves often fail to realize the "negatives" in their own decision. Please don't fall into the pit hole that is the devs coming up with new and good ideas to surprise the community rather than the community itself dictating how a game should be made (Both sides of the spectrum are too extreme! -not listening to community at all or altering the game solely based on community feedback).

@chrightt that true, need to have a clear road, but still hear your community.
    and one example is from albion... only listening to the hardcore drove all the casuals out and the game servers are dead.

@chrightt said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

I really have to point out not everything must go according to "community feedback" because honestly, I've probably seen more crap ideas from community feedback than good ones. If games get swayed by the community too much, it gives the community a sense that anything they want will happen and they themselves often fail to realize the "negatives" in their own decision. Please don't fall into the pit hole that is the devs coming up with new and good ideas to surprise the community rather than the community itself dictating how a game should be made (Both sides of the spectrum are too extreme! -not listening to community at all or altering the game solely based on community feedback).

That can be a good point, but I think in this case they did do their due diligence before deciding. The announcement says that they performed their own tests and talked with Improbable as well as publishers.

Besides, giving the caveat that servers will emerge as needed without giving metrics upon how that will be decided gives them a lot of leeway in how the server issue is handled.

• DymStudios - CEO

@jetah said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

I don't them wasting the funding to host multiple servers while in Alpha - Beta.

It makes no difference to have one or more servers with SpatialOS. It's all usage-based. Also, we'll be in the Games Innovation Program once we're funded, so we won't have to pay server expenses for a while anyway 🙂

here are some resources from David Salz the CTO of SBI

Interesting, thanks. I gave them a look. If you check out the "Berlin QUO Vadis" one, you'll see it says what I told you in my previous post: they're now hosting the whole game in a single datacenter (where the server is, you can figure out just by searching it on their forums: US East).

The whole server architecture of Albion I knew already overall. It's robust and they've optimized it exceptionally well, but it's essentially the simplest kind possible:

• Game world divided in clear-cut regions with no interaction possible between two players in different regions
    • Each region controlled by one thread (/ one server process)

The SpatialOS backend architecture is more sophisticated: I could be in front of you in the game, and both of us could be controlled by different server processes. This is, in a nutshell, why we can afford to have an open world and why in the same 1km x 1km area of this open world there could be 2 or 2000 players.

Notwithstanding all this goodness, latency is still latency. If you're in the US and you're in front of a player from China, it takes 300ms for your actions to reach him. There's literally no way out of that besides making optical fiber cables where signal travels at the nominal speed of light, but that's something not available to humanity as of today 🙂

@logain said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

Is there any chance that you could elaborate a bit on the metrics you're going to use for this decision? (For example, are you going to look at total amount of player, at concurrent players, at peak times/low times, at the distribution of Beast/Human/Demon,...)

A mix of all. Concurrent players during the day are of course one of the most important factors.

@prometheus
    free servers! that's great to hear.

What latency is the team getting when playing on a US server? What about China or other regions? Can you write bots to mimic players in the game, similar to Camelot Unchained, to test how it functions while 200+ are on in the game world?

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@prometheus Wut ... that's neat. Server costs are a good chunk of development money.

• Just a quick question, how you will handling the king and dukes pledges with regional localization? Will be same flags\statues in server that haven't the king too? For me is a good idea to have only two servers, 1 in EU and 1 in US. Else population will be too much splitted.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Will be paying attention during tests to the portuguese localization... heheheheh (specially to make sure it's actual portuguese being written hehehehe)

• @gothix said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

Larger MMO with less niche mechanics do not survive regional servers, do you really believe a full loot game like this will?

Even if community would end up spread to thin, it's always possible to merge the servers down the line if need be.

I asked about exactly that back on page two.

Many of us have probably experienced server merges over the years. My worst experience was in ArcheAge as all land is not created equal and balanced. I've experienced the cycles.. I was a late adopter to that game, I didn't have any experience when I started. The first time, I made my property work.. Everything was more time consuming.. more dangerous.. and more annoying. Once the first merge occurred I had a better idea of where I wanted to be.. This was the first merger land grab I had experienced in a game like this. It's not an enjoyable mechanic at all, but it was necessary. The merge happens, the server land resets, and the land grab begins.

So maybe I wasn't clear enough earlier.. @Prometheus how do you envision server mergers at this time? How would you handle them?

@gothix said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

I asked about exactly that back on page two.

Many of us have probably experienced server merges over the years. My worst experience was in ArcheAge as all land is not created equal and balanced. I've experienced the cycles.. I was a late adopter to that game, I didn't have any experience when I started. The first time, I made my property work.. Everything was more time consuming.. more dangerous.. and more annoying. Once the first merge occurred I had a better idea of where I wanted to be.. This was the first merger land grab I had experienced in a game like this. It's not an enjoyable mechanic at all, but it was necessary. The merge happens, the server land resets, and the land grab begins.

So maybe I wasn't clear enough earlier.. @Prometheus how do you envision server mergers at this time? How would you handle them?

Problem in Archeage was limited land to build, due to zones in whom you could build being restricted.

In Fractured you can build anywhere, so even if you would need to re place your house, land availability would not be an issue like in Archeage.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

EVE player here, single shard is better imo.

@SatelliteMind89

this thread is a little old..

Opened up this thread from the "unread section" and saw my post about Archeage, and i was like "wtf when did I write about Archeage?".. then I noticed the date. 👻

@Gothix said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

Opened up this thread from the "unread section" and saw my post about Archeage, and i was like "wtf when did I write about Archeage?".. then I noticed the date. 👻

i've asked to have old post closed but it hasn't happened.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured