Temperatures & Weather Feedback Thread

• Content Creator

@spoletta that's what I'm figuring, it is in, but not integrated

By the way, back on the temperature topic, I feel like the following changes would make it better:

• It currently is too punishing. 10 stack per degree is a bit too much, it should be lowered to 5 per degree. This way getting your equipment wrong by 10 degrees would result in a move penalty of 25%, which is definitely a big penalty already. Receiving a -50% penalty should be reserved for those really getting their equipment wrong, which means 20 degress under your comfort zone. This assumes that warm will receive a meaningful effect at least as penalizing as chill.

• At the same time though the insulation bonuses coming from t2 sets should not be so generous compared to the t1 ones. Ideally, they should be exactly the same. Exploring areas with extreme climates should be a matter of using the RIGHT equip not a matter of using a BETTER equip. A cloth is a cloth and fur is fur.

• The game should offer more ways to offset the temperature issues. Currently we can: change our armor type (very difficult), changing our armor material (possible), use specific skills (very difficult/possible depending on your base build). In the future we will probably get some consumables from Alchemy. I think that we should get a couple more: +5 heat or cold insulation amulets, fire/cold resist enchantments should also provide an insulation bonus.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@spoletta Yeah this is what they should do with the system, at least. Less punishing and easier to prevent.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

I don't have much to add to this since others already mentioned the most important concerns I had in mind and since I'm also satisfied with both systems being in the game in general, but one thing that I do want to add is what's currently bothering me about the temperature: campfires, fireplaces, and hearths (fireplaces in taverns) doing absolutely nothing to stacks of 'Chilled'.

Also, a little suggestion I'd love to see for the world map someday in the future.

• About temperature:
    Stacks are too much. For example 1 degree colder means 5% move speed penalty.
    Affects people differently:

• Speed decrease could mean death for kiters.
    • Elemental builds' usefulness partly depends on the environment while other builds aren't.
    • Some environment exclude some armors, making harder to collect knowledge there.

And a few ideas:

• Temperature effects could affect satiety/rest.
    • Resting at a campfire/fireplace could buff cold insulation for a duration.
    • Buildings could provide insulation for every effect.

About weather:
    Rain will affect irrigation only? Or it will reduce evasion/accuracy/detection too? It could even change the respawn time of plants.
    High intensity weather events will only make things harsh? Or will get some fun into the game? Like event mobs, drops or anything that'll make players interested in it?
    It would affects the behavior of the mobs? Animals hiding from the storm? Humanoids (bandits, goblins) changing armor because of temperature changes or abandoning their camp while the storm there? Fire elementals fleeing from the water? Storm elementals buffed by storm?

In short: temperature and weather could be a nice addition, but now it cause more problem than fun.
    But as usually, I hope it will be a lot better than I can envision it.
    My faith is stronger than my fear.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

short feedback:
    I like the visual and sound part of the update. It brings atmosphere and "refreshes" feelings, perception of the game.

As for effects, stacks, I think that this phase should be introduced later, now it looks superfluous.
    Stacks of fire - ignore completely, 99 - OK. Cold stacks on difficult mobs mean reduced speed and death, the inability to warm up from a fire is annoying.

The choice of means of protection from the cold leaves much to be desired.

There is one thing I do not understand, why to implement an extra feature such a weather system when the game still misses core mechanics or the mechanics are still unfinished and not working properly? Someone could argue that because the feature was already under development... Yeah but why it is even started to develop this early?

I think the weather system and day-night cycle system looks nice, and it is nice add to make the world feel more alive. It enhaces the atmosphere which is ofc welcome. However, if players does not even have enough tools to work with the weather conditions why to put it into the game, just another unfinished feature to struggle with.

• Content Creator

I can actually answer that, Tuoni>

You first add in a new system, then you work with it with existing mechanics, then you add in new additional features to compensate for the new system. It would be standard game design practice to break it before you fix it, basically.

You want a major imbalance first, as that showcases what needs to be fixed, then you work on fixing those imbalances. You don't try to start from a point of balance, because then things don't tend to show up...they go unnoticed. There is the old axiom that you learn more from your failures than you do from your successes.

Also, as I explained in other posts, you generally have teams working on things, some are in the Bug Fix teams, they work on getting existing systems to work properly, some are in the New Development teams, they work on new features to be added in as they become available, and you also might have an integration team, that works on integrating the new systems with the old systems and tweaking them...not responding to bugs as much as revealed exploits and new ideas on blending systems. The integration team, for instance, would be the ones who get the weather to interact with the crops. It not doing so now isn't a bug, it is just not an implemented aspect of the features working together.

For the most part, these 3 major design teams work independently, and only consult with each other, but they don't swim in each others' pools on a regular basis. They come together during major planning meetings, basically All-hands meetings, but otherwise, they mostly would work independently with the design goals and their individual assignments as their guideposts.

@GamerSeuss Actually you cannot because you do not represent the dev team and on top of that I think that you missed the point. I talked about game core mechanics which should be priority over additional features like weather systems. Additionally, in my opinion you have a little bit biased impression how game development process works or should work. 😅

His point is that implementing features and bug fixing are not mutually exclusive.

But we are getting OT and our dev lords need this thread for the feedback on the temperature system.

• My general feedback would be:
    Weather and temperature feel immersive...
    if only it were intuitive.
    Standing at 20 degrees under trees just before self-ignition as well as standing in front of the house for hours at 5 degrees and at night in underwear and not freezing seem extremely unintuitive.

Another point has already been mentioned: that heat makes no (noticeable) difference, while cold is almost the endgame boss.

Of course it doesn't mean much at the moment if several things are missing, such as alchemy or the influence of the weather on crops and co.

But what I do know is that I don't want to sweep the water out of my house every morning.

@spoletta said in Temperatures & Weather Feedback Thread:

His point is that implementing features and bug fixing are not mutually exclusive.

But we are getting OT and our dev lords need this thread for the feedback on the temperature system.

Yeah that is his point but my point was not bug fixing versus implementing new features, rather in which order mechanics should be implement at first place. He was answering to my comment with all kind of irrelevant and weird stuff.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Or allow "good" melee weapons to have channeling. Melee build has zero defense to stacks if they are solo. A dagger and light mace just dont cut it.

Or do the logical thing an let a firepit lower stacks. Which is just absurdly stupid that it doesn't

• Content Creator

doesn't yet, that goes to implementation of systems interaction.

Right now, campfires/fireplaces don't react to the weather....doesn't mean they won't, they probably will, they just haven't been integrated yet. During a Beta, you often will get new features added in, but they haven't fully been integrated with other related things already in the game, like Rain and Crops, or Cold Stacks and Fireplaces/Campfires.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

@DarthJafo
    Meele has the option to use moonsilver for their armor to get cold resist, which is a defense against stacks while solo (and on a horse).

I absolutely love the weather! It makes the game feel much more immersive. However, the rain does look a bit odd when you are moving fast. The long stripes of rain are the worst at high speed as they can appear to bounce. I had thought that maybe you could make them a bit shorter but then I was thinking perhaps just adding some transparency to them might work better. The sound effects are fantastic!

Puddles should also accumulate and grow larger as the rain continues and not just the splashes on the ground that we have now, although those are great. Crop irrigation must go up in the rain not down; that was a bit startling to watch (I’m guessing it is just not implemented yet.)

I have not yet been in a blizzard so have no feedback on one yet. I will get back to you when I have the chance to encounter one.

I have been working on dressing for the weather and trying to find the right armor for the temperature, that will still protect me from what I want to fight, fits my budget, or that I am able to craft has been interesting. However, I am enjoying the challenge.

I think that if you move indoors with a lit hearth that cold stacks should rapidly go away. This should not work with heat stacks though, so maybe we could be able to extinguish or light a fire in a house or tavern to indicate whether we were heating or cooling the building. Just a thought.

My two bits so far…

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I thought the climate issue was fantastic, everything was very good, we saw a good job.
    the only point that bothered me was the noise of the rain, it's very loud! If you can reduce the rain a little bit, that would be great.

• @THH

The system is actually AMAZING.

The weather gets bad - You put on a few chilling spells and make people freeze easily/deal more damage
    The weather is hot - pop a burning spell it to make people burn

Combat depending on weather conditions is new and so cool

Yet, depending of what material your gear is made of your cold/hot insulation is different - you can balance it so its -5 - +5 and you wont be chilled and frozen.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Such a waste of time and resources. Weather adds nothing but annoyance.

• Content Creator

@dracokalen Actually, even just cosmetically, weather adds a richness to the gaming experience. When you add in actual affects for the weather, you make the game itself 1000x more dynamic and enriching an experience, they just have to get the balance worked out right.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured