Item dropped from mobs

• I know there was a lot of talk about this on the forums: some people say everything should be crafted by players, while others claimed that it's boring to never get full item drops from mobs. To my understanding, you can give offerings to gods in Fractured in order to change karma, gain a blessing, or start a divine quest. What if, instead of coins, we could donate items that go to a global item pool? Whenever a monster is killed, there's a chance they will drop one of the donated items. This way monsters can drop items from time to time, yet everything is still crafted by the players.

• Content Creator

Trouble is, part of what they are after is realism. It makes no sense for a Wolf to drop a full made wolftooth necklace, for instance. Part of why everything is crafted by players is to get away from the more hokey MUD themed type thing where anything could have any kind of drop. That's not to say they may never have 'intelligent' mobs drop some crafted items, eventually, but I, for one, like the fact that we get to drive the item economy, and I don't want to see creatures dropping rare drops that people end up spawn camping so nobody else can get these items. That was the major issue many of us had with games like WoW and even EverQuest

• @GamerSeuss
    You can go around that and also include realism. For example, these items can be distributed only to some groups of mobs (humanoids, zombies, skeletons - which, at least at this point, are abundant). Then they can create thematic areas in which these items don't drop per se from mobs, but are obtained from the environment. For example, there can be an area called "the cursed battlefield", where we fight ghosts and vultures and so on, but from time to time we can find corpses, which are basically thematic chests, which can drop coins, mats, and maybe such an item from the deity donation pool.

By the way, since all these items come from the donations pool, the full drops will be quite rare.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

This is actually the first time I have ever heard any complain about not having equipment dropped from mob kills. However, if they were to do this, I think it would be more likely that there is a chance for "intelligent" mobs that kill you to loot your corpse until their "very small inventory" is filled and then when that mob is killed (before being respawned) will drop those items they looted from your corpse.

With that said, I do believe there are much more important things to work on at the moment, though this may be a nice to feature to include much much later down the road.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I thought I had read that Fractured will indeed have magical item drops. If that is actually true, and mobs don't drop anything, does that mean items will only be found in things like containers? Chests, barrels, boxes, etc?

@d3Sync said in Item dropped from mobs:

, does that mean items will only be found in things

They have yet to install any dungeons, so I can not say about what we will find there; however, there are no chest, barrels, boxes to open in the wild. They are only found in the cities and are filled by other players.

Also, I think the magical drops are magical material drops, though mobs do drop fully made healing potions and poisons at times.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

keep in mind there are animals in nature that hoard " shiny " things, baubles, coins, yes, usually in Dens. Do they have animal dens in this game?

• Content Creator

Again, me personally, I like the player made economy of items. I don't want mobs to have items dropped, even if they are donated items to the gods. Items donated should be taken out of circulation, that seems to be what a donation system is for, that and the degradation of items systems.

Mobs should drop materials only, with certain really rare materials coming from rarer mobs. I'm okay with things like Skeletons and Zombies and Goblins and other humanoid monsters dropping coinage, and of course, if Dragons were ever added, a Dragon Horde is classically one filled with Gold Coins, but other than that, maybe raw gemstones and other shinies could be put out there as materials for making more exotic magical item creations. Tired of that Wolf-Tooth Necklace and want to really travel in style, get yourself an Enchanted Ruby Pendant for the neck/ornament slot instead. Smelt the gold, craft the pendant with the gold and ruby found in the wild, then off to the enchanting table to add enhancements to your new magic necklace (complete with durability so it eventually wears out/burns out and needs replacing/upgrading)

One of the MAJOR appeals that Fractured has for many of us is the whole Player driven item economy system. This and the Isometric advancement system are I think the key features that drew a lot of the earliest backers to the game in the first place, and let's face it...you need to keep your original stable of backers happy and not go changing the game drastically out from under them. They shelled out the original capital to get the ball rolling, seeing the potential in the designers' original vision of the game.

Now, Instanced Dungeons/Meteors/whatever can have some of their own rules/exceptions, that's fine. I think we can all agree that as they are short term availability instanced content anyway, they are a good place to test out other ideas and break the rules just a little bit without breaking the system.

• Wiki Editor

I don't think lesser grade items would be an issue. Goblin dagger, bow or w/e.
    Would make sense to have lower version of some items come from mobs.

Myself have actually complained about the no loot drop system but alot of people are looking for realism in a game. Myself I'd rather it be more a game than realistic. I get enough of real life living it lol. I'd like to see items drop from creatures as well. For me the majority of enjoyment of killing stuff is "what is it going to drop". That's just not happening here. The best you can expect is some rare crafting material.

The problem with chests spawning items is people would camp them if they were not randomly generated. It would be nice if mobs randomly generated with a chest spawning near the boss. I would even like to see instanced encounter areas groups can fight through for a reward at the end. But that's just me 😉

• Wiki Editor

Did you guys missed, that some Mobs already drop usually crafted things, like the poison or healing stuff from goblins.
    I think there will be drops from human like creatures, if they usually wear them.
    So dropping their Bows and Staffs would also make sense, als long they will be kind of damaged, means, they are not that good to fight with anymore, but you can use them in crafts.

• Content Creator

@Kralith said in Item dropped from mobs:

Did you guys missed, that some Mobs already drop usually crafted things, like the poison or healing stuff from goblins.
    I think there will be drops from human like creatures, if they usually wear them.
    So dropping their Bows and Staffs would also make sense, als long they will be kind of damaged, means, they are not that good to fight with anymore, but you can use them in crafts.

I'm okay with these kinds of drops, but not dropping magic items or things the creature wouldn't be using is silly. A Troll goes at me with a huge Maul, then the Maul drops, I'm cool with that! Goblins dropping Goblin Armor suits and primative weapons and poisons is fine as well.

• @GamerSeuss said in Item dropped from mobs:

I'm okay with these kinds of drops, but not dropping magic items or things the creature wouldn't be using is silly. A Troll goes at me with a huge Maul, then the Maul drops, I'm cool with that! Goblins dropping Goblin Armor suits and primative weapons and poisons is fine as well.

Well, as I said in the OP, some people think everything should be crafted by players, so we shouldn't have full item drops. It's not about if it makes sense for a bear to drop swords, but about how it affects the economy. In fact, I'm also in that camp. I just tried to offer a solution in which everything is crafted by the players, yet we have occasional item drops from mobs.

• Wiki Editor

@Razvan yeah, i think drops should be always just used as a "material" for crafting.
    Even item drops.
    I pointed, that if per example a Goblin drops his bow, it should be almost useless for being equiped, but can be used to get other materials or is a base for a special item to craft.
    Also i can imagine a kind of disenchanting for them.

In my opinion, creatures should never drop useful Armor/Weapons, but drop materials for special super duper crafted items.
    That can even be a super rare crystal or dust to get best enchanted item with it.
    And i think that exactly is planned.
    To get Enchants to highest Level for all, you will need super special and super rare drops by boss creatures.

@Kralith said in Item dropped from mobs:

@Razvan yeah, i think drops should be always just used as a "material" for crafting.
    Even item drops.
    I pointed, that if per example a Goblin drops his bow, it should be almost useless for being equiped, but can be used to get other materials or is a base for a special item to craft.
    Also i can imagine a kind of disenchanting for them.

In my opinion, creatures should never drop useful Armor/Weapons, but drop materials for special super duper crafted items.
    That can even be a super rare crystal or dust to get best enchanted item with it.
    And i think that exactly is planned.
    To get Enchants to highest Level for all, you will need super special and super rare drops by boss creatures.

i'm trying to understand why i can't use a bow a goblin was using? maybe no one can craft bows, i should be able to kill a mob and use that weapon. even if it's a 'weak' version of player crafted (IE player crafted is a minimum of white, common, quality; the mob quality should be gray). it should usable but wont last for very long.

• Wiki Editor

@Jetah said in Item dropped from mobs:

i'm trying to understand why i can't use a bow a goblin was using? maybe no one can craft bows, i should be able to kill a mob and use that weapon. even if it's a 'weak' version of player crafted (IE player crafted is a minimum of white, common, quality; the mob quality should be gray). it should usable but wont last for very long.

I did not said, i want that we are not able to use the maybe droped bow, but since there was a fight before, the bow should be most likely quite damaged.
    I was talking about useful Armor/Weapon Drops. An almost damages bow you could probably still use for emergency reason, maybe even kill some easy creatures, but it should not be like this, that you can use the bow forever and it is better than your normal equip.

If humanoids can drop player crafted items that would make a lot of sense. This is a great way to make loot tables much more interesting and at the same time keep the economy run by players. E.g. if a goblin mage have a chance to drop staves and cloth armor which are crafted by the players, that would be really cool and it is hard to found any downsides of this kind of system. Moreover, the item pool could also destroy a portion of items, therefore, it would at the same time work as a item/resource sink.

@Tuoni

I would go for this if said player crafted loot was loot that the mob actually took from the player's dead corpse. Sorry player, you aren't getting that back without a fight! 🙂

I'm currently in a dnd campaign. My dm has the same idea it seems. Everything the monsters drop works good enough for them to kill us but doesn't seem to be good enough for us to use lol.

• I know for sure that my cats hunt socks.
    Any time I miss them I will find a cuddle nest with socks somewhere.

Therefor I am not really surprised if a wolf drops stuff clothes.
    But I wouldn't expect good quality.
    More like something that was used to sleep and play with and not much better then rags.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured