Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Harleyyelrah said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

@Xzait I think you tagged the wrong person xD Hathos was saying that it's pretty much impossible to die in PVE at this point.

Oh crap!! you are totally right!! My deepest apologies @Hathos . I don't remember who I was supposed to tag at this point. Just anyone that dies... learn how to make a campfire. You have no excuse other than your own stupidity, unless it is from Necrosis and you didn't know what Necrosis did... then you may be pardoned. Sitting on 1 HP because it doesn't kill you is NOT a plausible excuse!! Coz eventually it can.

@KirwinHansel The same penalty also happens on Ark , but that is not to say I like it in that game. There is too much grind that it stops me from enjoying the experience so I stop playing for longer periods each time. Death needs to strike the correct balance between the consequence for failure (in this case grind) against peoples own drive to succeed and because that is a very personal thing I expect it will never please every one. There is the difference between death and unconsciousness to consider in this game, so you get more bites of the cherry (although during alpha tests I have been trapped in a loop where death is just a drawn out inevitability because of repeat PVE attacks before mobility, but hope that is just one of the pitfalls of alpha). I personally would like to see a compromise where even in death you respawn naked but still close enough to actually see your last dead body and have at least some potential to recover items before being set upon again, but I am not that skilled a player and can understand there has to be some consequence for failure i.e. there is little value in success without a healthy fear of the consequences of failure. Guess we'll have to wait and see what the wider audience thinks.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Losing your gear on death is a great mechanic in the right system. Any time you play a game like this, you should prepare to die before you ever have a chance to. I was a UO veteran, and it was something that you learned very quickly. If you take everything you worked for out of town, you deserved to lose it. There don't seem to be many games anymore that truly punish players for making mistakes. I can certainly understand the frustration new players have to this genre when they first experience the harsh lash of death. It's a learning experience. It's best to take heed of the advice being offered. Complaining about it won't fix a thing.

I am with the people who do not wish to see any death penalty at all. Nothing should be dropped on player death, no matter the cause (PvE or PvP). There should be no more incentives given to PKers, or even resource campers who attack people who come to gather/mine, other than just another kill on their belt in open world PvP environments..

@TekNicTerror said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

I am with the people who do not wish to see any death penalty at all. Nothing should be dropped on player death, no matter the cause (PvE or PvP). There should be no more incentives given to PKers, or even resource campers who attack people who come to gather/mine, other than just another kill on their belt in open world PvP environments..

sounds like the fury planet will be perfect for you.

there are too many games where death shouldn't even be apart of the game because there's no loss. I like games that punish a player/group for losing.

• Content Creator

@TekNicTerror Death has to have meaning, and in an Isometric Game, where there isn't experience/levels to be lost in death, really, it becomes doubly important that you risk your gear. Remember too that Gear in Fractured is player created and has a durability stat, so you will lose it eventually anyway, so really, its just that death can make you potentially lose it sooner, unless you have the forethought to 1. sleep in the taverns close to your hunting grounds, and 2. enable party looting of your corpse so that your surviving friends can bring back some of your more important gear

I don't think just any random by can loot your corpse. Only those you give permission to and those in a group that killed you (if pvp). So, if you get killed by a mob... you are saved from being looted! 🙂

In.. pvp... about to die? no prob! call in Bear! He will maul you for free at just that opportune moment! 😛

I do NOT, let me repeat that, I DO NOT want to play a game where death has no meaning. It is BORING! Fighting loses all of the thrill it is meant to have. So what if you die; just revive and go at the mob again, and again, and again, and again…. Tedious, Dreary, Dull, YUCK!

There are so many ways to prevent mass loss of your possessions. The worst you really have to worry about if you’re smart is one set of gear and whatever you collected on that particular run; that’s it. You make your own gear so replacing that is relatively easy so we are down to what you collected on that run. You now have some idea of what went wrong the first time. You are better prepared. It is not the end of the world.

I will never again play a game that makes death meaningless. If death were ever to become meaningless in Fractured I would leave the game so fast that the heads of every one of its creators would spin for days. Seriously, what is the point of a game you can’t fail at?

• Content Creator

@StormBug said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

I will never again play a game that makes death meaningless. If death were ever to become meaningless in Fractured I would leave the game so fast that the heads of every one of its creators would spin for days. Seriously, what is the point of a game you can’t fail at?

100% agreed.

@SmithyJones We've also glossed over the fact that gear will be easily obtainable to a certain threshold. you wont need to raid weekly for a chance to find that 1 piece. you wont need to grind reputation so you can get enough currency and reputation tier to buy that item.

you're playing a test version of the game. the whole test is a waste of your time as everything is reset when the game releases. (just a little nit-pick)

• Content Creator

@StormBug said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

I do NOT, let me repeat that, I DO NOT want to play a game where death has no meaning. It is BORING! Fighting loses all of the thrill it is meant to have. So what if you die; just revive and go at the mob again, and again, and again, and again…. Tedious, Dreary, Dull, YUCK!

There are so many ways to prevent mass loss of your possessions. The worst you really have to worry about if you’re smart is one set of gear and whatever you collected on that particular run; that’s it. You make your own gear so replacing that is relatively easy so we are down to what you collected on that run. You now have some idea of what went wrong the first time. You are better prepared. It is not the end of the world.

You tell'em SIS!

I think that on Tartaros looting your corpse is FFA, on Syndesia, everyone can loot but with a consequence of being tagged as thief.

On Arboreus your stuff is protected.

@Gothix said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

I think that on Tartaros looting your corpse is FFA, on Syndesia, everyone can loot but with a consequence of being tagged as thief.

On Arboreus your stuff is protected.

unless there's a raid on the fury planet. muhahahahahaha

But only specific places on Arboreus can be raided. So if a furry doesn't want to pvp, they don't have to worry about it at all.

@Ostaff said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

But only specific places on Arboreus can be raided. So if a furry doesn't want to pvp, they don't have to worry about it at all.

Yep. Only "edge" parts of Arboreus are raidable, and only for a short limited time can travelers remain there.

Large part is never accessible.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Lohen
    Sorry but I agree that death should have some consequence(s), and not just a tiny inconvenience.

@Umbaalo yes of course... there would be no point in survival aspects otherwise^^

Its all about balance.

You need to have SOME consequence for death so people have to care about what they are doing.

And its preetty nice that different planets have different level of consequences so that different type of players can choose what fits them more.

One also needs to be careful though to not "overdo" the consequences so they dont become gamebreaking and push every type of player away.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Death already inherently has a "meaning". It means you failed to clear the fight you were in and will need to try again or come back later when you're stronger, the same as losing a life in any other game in history. It is not necessary to give death any more penalties than this to serve its purpose.

Fractured currently punishes death ridiculously severely: far walk distances, resurrection debuffs, soft and hard HP (the latter of which generally takes longer to recover), and item drop. With the exception of walking distances, which are unavoidable given the game's scope, none of this is obliged, and most of it is kind of pretentious.

It is not some profound "education" to force players to waste their time remaking all their gear because they died. It's not a disincentive to die - players already wish to avoid that. It is a disincentive to play at all because the game wastes your time for no reason.

Fortunately, we already know that death and loot drops are different on each planet. On Arboreus, for instance, it is supremely unlikely that any character will ever actually die to begin with, as most Arboreus NPCs will stop attacking when your soft HP runs out and never actually kill you. Arboreus is also the sweetheart planet, so players are likely to be able to find more experienced players to help them retrieve their corpses.

Death and loot drops are thus primarily a PVP concept, where they are more relevant... but still an utterly pointless farce that adds nothing to a game except anti-fun.

Without inventory loss and item decay crafting is a bit boring.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured