What is the point of having your own plot of land?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

On the last test we were allowed to build tubs, weaver, crafting table, etc. on our plot of land but now it seems that having your own plot of land is just a place to have your own personal storage.

I have slept at fireplaces in other places more so than my own and the only reason why i'd come back to my own house is just storage.

If NPCs are going to be 'town only', and that reason is one of the key defining features of choosing a city house vs an out of city house, whats the point of not allowing players to have tubs and other crafting furniture in their own home?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Zori There are NPCs?

Z

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

From the role point of view, the house system needs to improve in terms of the possibility of choosing different styles of construction and decoration, customization of colors and textures, etc. In that sense, at the moment it has no use.

Another way to see it would be the possibility of setting up a crafting room, storage and other utilities individually, for those players who prefer to keep their activities concentrated in one place and solitary and isolated. In that sense, at the moment it has no use.

There is also the option to select it as a resurrection point and when acquiring a lot close to a specific area of ​​interest it would be more convenient to appear after a death and continue with the activities. If I am not mistaken at the moment this is not possible, therefore it has no use.

In summary, at the moment there is little that I would be interested to see in the game that is implemented and is useful. Yes I know, it is in alpha state, but it is difficult to know in the future what they will end up implementing and how satisfactory it can be, for the moment the acquisition of land to build a house was something that provided in the previous alpha and I do not think I will try again in the current one.

What's more, in this new alpha my gaming experience was affected by the same problems as in the previous one. Lack of fluidity in the movement of the character, fluctuation in latency, lack of response in skills during combat, imbalance between the life / damage of the most basic NPCs and my character, repetitive and low interest loot, invisible barriers in the terrain, targets out of sight for no apparent reason, unbalanced speed of certain NPCs, etc.

The time this project is in development, the recent lack of communication from developers with the community, the little of what is currently implemented and the waiting times between one test and another that lead to one trying other products. which are much more tempting make me lose interest in this project.

I do not regret my small investment and I really hope that the game is a success, but honestly at the moment I do not have great expectations regarding what it can be.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Znick said in What is the point of having your own plot of land?:

@Zori There are NPCs?

Z

@Znick Not yet but they are in the plans for the towns

On second thought, there is practically no need for people to have their own plot of land if you're a member of a city.

Need storage? the bank is now private, and one person can just build a house and have shared storages in it then that's it.

I find it more useful to have a house outside of a city lot that i can just relocate to whenever i find it necessary. In theory, cities are great but the implementation atm definitely needs a lot of fine tuning.

This entire 'Tub' series of 'stolen leathers' is another issue, if players have the ability to have their own processing furniture in their home, then I can see the need to have your own house and would definitely eliminate a lot of the unnecessary problems.

Cities/Towns would have NPCs after all that out-of-towners wouldnt have, that's distinct enough for a city life vs wilderness life.

From my perspective, players having the option to have all of these furniture in their home might actually entice people to visit cities more so than just using it as a way point for their travels.

dont get me wrong, cities have definitely made travelling a bit more bearable this time around, but after it's built? theres nothing left to it other than a way point. The 'complex' social structure that it would supposedly bring didn't actually provided anything other than group of players building up a city then going off to travel.

I understand that this is an alpha state and not all features are implemented but right now, this is my feedback on what i've experienced on the state of cities/towns.

tldr; make homes more useful other than just a 'very far away storage area'.

• Right now, not much, but I assume they will make more sense when stuff like farming and breeding gets added.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

tl;dr (too long; didn't read - had to look it up)
    here my essay

How I would see it (but who am i):
    Furniture in your own home and furniture in a city needs to work. in the city you should be able to rent a slot. (NPC guards keep track of time and stuff)
    Making the slots available only for local townies is a good step, but not enough.
    the tubs in your house should be regular. Tubs there should be limited and due to smell outside the house making it a risk.
    the tubs in your town should be regular, but have larger capacity. rent one to get more stuff done in the same time. (1 or 100, it still takes 16 hours.) In town you can rent and pay for transfer to your home delivery in your designated chest. This might be a task for other guildies to make a quick buck. They can only accept, transfer and deliver inside the town. (to prevent theft by cunning """thieves""" using a second account to steal.. bla bla bla...)
    I always assume that players are out on bad intent, i always assume they want to kill, steal, demolish and make money in any way they can. (especially with real life economics and -exploitable/npc manipulation- mechanics) They always find ways to bend the game mechanics, circumvent rules or use intended game mechanics to do stuff, find a way to do something unintended. Thats what you learn from 12 years of Eve-Online. If guards are defeatable they will be defeated. if walls are having 10000 hitpoints. one day someone will find a way. Never ever underestimate the power of people working together towards a common goal.
    These things will (imho) will always happen. and it is how the devs deal with the mechanics and intended gameplay.

Does that mean that there is no way to make a game work? sure there is. It just takes time. WoW had all of this in one way or antorher, it still exists. Eve Online just made it "valid" and still exists. and other games are just bad just because of it. Some have good measurements to monitor behavior and find strange anomalies. hat they investigate and sometimes they find a loophole. kill a 1000 accounts in one day and move on.
    curious to what will eb done here to make it work.

@Zori I kind of share your concern and I hope that personal estates can somewhat compete with towns and will have a serious meaning. Perhaps the farming and breeding can make personal plots more sense like @Razvan mentioned, however, I hope other professions would not fall totally in city stations' shadows.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Chapex said in What is the point of having your own plot of land?:

From the role point of view, the house system needs to improve in terms of the possibility of choosing different styles of construction and decoration, customization of colors and textures, etc. In that sense, at the moment it has no use.

There is also the option to select it as a resurrection point and when acquiring a lot close to a specific area of ​​interest it would be more convenient to appear after a death and continue with the activities. If I am not mistaken at the moment this is not possible, therefore it has no use.

Other housing models will be implemented later in the game, you can see this in the founders' packs already by them offering different house models.

Your house is a resurrection point currently in the game. It is probably the most useful feature at the moment.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

The point of having your own plot of land is to use as a respawn point. Also you can use it for extra storage. You can have a personal plot out in the wild somewhere but still be a citizen of a city, you just won't respawn at the city but can use the crafting tables.

The implementation of the player cities really added a lot of quality of life for guild groups who like to play together.

I suppose solo players who don't like group activities don't like it as much 😁 But overall an MMO should focus on social/group playing, because that is the biggest difference between the MMO and a single player game.

@Harleyyelrah
    @Zori said in Solo playing became extremely difficult.:

I sort of agree/disagree, in some sense it did kind of needlessly got difficult by adding an unnecessary stipulation of having to be a city member just so you can use certain crafts.

At this point in time it's not entirely necessary to have those equipment (although they do help a lot) but in the long run, if this ideology of only having access to certain craft/trades by being a member of a city could potentially put off many people. For one, cities are typically reserved for established guilds already, which would push newcomers off to joining a guild straight away just so they can gain access to those trades, this means that players generally don't have the breathing space of deciding which one to join.

Sad part is, once you're a member of a city, you'd find that you don't even need to be in the city or in your home a vast majority of the time, yet you're somewhat tied to the idea that 'you need to come home cause your inventory is full'.

To break down some of the issues that I found, and i do acknowledge that this is coming from a place of ignorance as I do not know what the future features are;

1. There is an emphasis that cities are the only ones to have access to certain processing/trading utilities, i.e; tubs, weavers, work table, etc. which puts a gate/barrier for everyone.

City governors typically would not open up these services to the public, especially not tubs considering the 16 hour wait involved in processing those materials.

So what chance does a player who has not decided which city to join would have? if you're a new comer and all you're experiencing is the not even the very bare bones of the game, and in-order to experience a 'richer' content, you're then forced to join a group of people when you barely even know what's available out there for you. Imagine governors/guilds looking at their application list and going "who the hell are these people in the first place?" naturally they'd prioritise who they already know (guild members).

I'm predicting that you'll have a lot of players abandoning cities/guilds as they experience the game more as they begin to learn or understand what they want out of their gaming experience, would this lead to a productive/positive longevity of a guild/city? I'm leaning on no.

2. Cities are supposed hubs for trading, spawn points and NPCs where players can group/gather.

Yet somehow, only 'citizens' (typically guilds) are the only ones that would be allowed to access much of its amenities, perhaps this will change over time and that these cities would allow for their services to be more open to public, and thus allow for more people to gain access to it, and thus enticing more people who do not live in city to use its amenities but at this point in time where every one of those things are gated, it just doesn't do anyone any favour. This brings me to point number 3.

3. Houses are practically useless at this point.

Other than a spawn point (which can easily be covered by Taverns) and a storage unit (which from my understanding at this point in time, can be covered by a bank), i just don't see the point in building your own home.

Some might comment that perhaps with the implementation of farms and animal husbandry, a house will be more useful, but if you've seen the size of plot of lands allotted in cities, i dont think theres much space for said projects. I don't even see how a 'palace, castle, or manor' could fit in any of those lots, let alone house animals and farms.

From my perspective, starter towns are essentially the model for 'city structures', and at this point in time i don't even see a need for players to build their own city as majority of player needs are covered in starter towns, perhaps the novelty of city building or the exclusivity of having your own semi-public tanning tub and carpenter is the only thing that's requiring people to build a city.

but if a carpenter/wood workshop can only be used in a city, is it really necessary to disallow private lands (both city and non-city) to not have access to their own personal tanning tub, worktable, and weaving station?

it's kind of unnecessary from my perspective. Cities themselves would have exclusive NPCs already, i just dont see the need to gate the most basic things out of 'solo' players, not even 'solo' players at this point, any person with a plot of land for that matter.

4. Having a house in a city actually feels more disadvantageous at this point than having any benefits.

From my perspective, the most 'ideal' thing for a person to do is to sign up as a member of a city but build your house outside of the city (if that is possible).

That way, you as a player would have the opportunity to choose a much more strategic spot for a 'storage dumping ground' and not feel tied to a certain location. Travelling back and forth from one end of the map to the other just so you can deposit things is indeed quite tedious.

But if you're a member of a city but have your house built elsewhere, you still have access to the city amenities whilst still having your personal strategic location outside of it. Not only that, if you feel the need to relocate, you can just abandon that lot and set up a new one.

https://forum.fracturedmmo.com/topic/11780/solo-playing-became-extremely-difficult/5?_=1595797518701

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Zori You linked me to your original post for some reason

@Harleyyelrah said in What is the point of having your own plot of land?:

@Zori You linked me to your original post for some reason

It's a link reference?

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Zori oh there we go. ty

@Zori oh there we go. ty

Anyway, a lot of your points in this thread, as shallow as they may be were easily covered in that post. You'd also find that a lot of players find cities a bit useless once they're built.

I mean they're meant to be hubs but somehow they're just a collection of storage units.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Zori In my opinion, that just means they are in a guild/group that is not doing much group activity in the first place.

My guild uses our city as a central location, meeting up and hanging out then running to other points of interest together, returning together, and working on crafting all while communicating on discord or listening to music together. It is a central hub for groups actually doing group activities. We even have an underwater tavern to hang out in!

@Zori In my opinion, that just means they are in a guild/group that is not doing much group activity in the first place.

My guild uses our city as a central location, meeting up and hanging out then running to other points of interest together, returning together, and working on crafting all while communicating on discord or listening to music together. It is a central hub for groups actually doing group activities. We even have an underwater tavern to hang out in!

it's great that you've used your personal experience and biases to prove a point, i just wish every individual has a group like that. I guess newcomers can just join a guild full of personalities they don't mix well with.

I suppose every other points is redundant and can be countered by "it's your fault for not being in a guild that constantly likes the company of others."

now if you would read what I quoted on the link, perhaps then your views would be broader other than coming from this myopic perspective.

I mean the fact that you keep missing out the point of other people and refuse to address it kind of says a lot.

• Content Creator

@Chapex Actually, the communication with the developers in this game is one of the best I've seen, having been an Alpha and Beta Tester since back in the 1990s. People don't realize how much effort goes into such game development, and how much time a developer has to take out of that to communicate with the population at large. They are doing a top notch job at keeping us informed, far better than 99% of the projects out there.

Time between tests, and test durations are also well above average on the positive side. Many games, after a major test, would take literally months before another test starts, this last gap was just barely over a Month, and part of that was a major Server issue delay for an extra week, and part of things has been related to COVID-19 slowing lots of things down.

Time until ultimate release of the game is also not actually terrible either. It is nice to see a relatively new MMO company take the time it really deserves to do a game right. When you consider, Blizzard, one of the biggest developers out there, took over 10 years to produce Diablo III despite major demands to see it much sooner. Going from Kickstarter in 2017 to a possible game release before 2022 is actually great! I want the devs to take the time it takes to get things right, and this game is trying to be as revolutionary as possible, with a true isometric sandbox feel.

• Content Creator

But overall an MMO should focus on social/group playing, because that is the biggest difference between the MMO and a single player game.

Actually, Solo play has been a major aspect of MMOs since their inception with Ultima: Online. The point of MMO is to have a massive shared world where what you do has an affect, and what others do has an affect as well. There is competition, not just for scores on a leaderboard, there is the chance to group up to overcome very big challenges, like Mega-bosses, but a player can also stay solo, and spend their time in game maybe practicing skills, only to sell their wares to other players instead of just to NPCs. People often focus too much on the Multiplayer aspect of MMOs and think that means it's all about group play. It is about a group shared world, with the option to go solo, or play in a group. Someone said they play with their wife, I know I play sometimes with my Sister, sometimes with my GF, and sometimes with both, and much of the time I play solo, all are viable, and not super-group options. I have created my own guild, but the only members are my GF and my sister at the moment, but in most games, I never even joined a guild unless some quest required it for some reason.

Guild/Large group players just have to realize that Solo players have their place to, and every right to expect the game to also make the game fully playable by them. The one main exception being Mega-boss type battles, and even then, in a Level based game, a Soloist can always take on Mega-bosses once they reach higher levels than the group expectation, but of course in Fractured, that wouldn't be the case, being an Isometric game not based around levels.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@GamerSeuss said in What is the point of having your own plot of land?:

Actually, Solo play has been a major aspect of MMOs since their inception with Ultima: Online. The point of MMO is to have a massive shared world where what you do has an affect, and what others do has an affect as well. There is competition, not just for scores on a leaderboard, there is the chance to group up to overcome very big challenges, like Mega-bosses, but a player can also stay solo, and spend their time in game maybe practicing skills, only to sell their wares to other players instead of just to NPCs.

Guild/Large group players just have to realize that Solo players have their place to, and every right to expect the game to also make the game fully playable by them.

A shared world is my point. Some solo players only want to be able to do everything on their own, without needing to interact with others at all. Solo players do have their place, but one person being able to achieve exactly the same thing as a team of 20 people is ridiculous. If a player doesn't want to become a citizen, that's fine, but then they should not be able to enjoy the privileges of citizenship. If it's about available crafting/being locked out of crafting, then they should either join a city, or trade with other players who are citizens.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured