Why bake bread?

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Having played through the last Alpha test, I realised I amassed a large quantity of meat simply by walking around the map from point A to B. Not that I want to, but the bears and wolves just won't leave me alone, and they drop meat. More than what I can consume anyway.

My issue is, with this over supply of meat, why is baking bread even important? I have to go back to town, harvest the wheat, grind them, make them into dough and then bake it into bread... all for a 35% satiety. Meat gives me 50% and it is easier to obtain, anywhere out of town.

I also realised that fields are listed as a hotspot in this Myr Cities & Hotspots Map. Why are fields important as hotspots? Is cotton that important? I mean, not everybody wear cotton made attire. How are fields valuable as a hotspot?

I may have missed something and I really do not see the value of fields. Will be glad if anyone can point me to some quote or journal from the Devs that might point to the value of fields or baking bread.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Hey,

I think you are absolutely correct. I wouldn't bake bread if it wasn't required for the tutorial. But that is only true for the current state of the game.

I'm fairly certain once other professions are being introduced and crafting overall gets some meaning, it might be beneficial to grow different vegetables, wheat or so because it might allow you to craft food items that do more than just refill satiety.

In my opinion, that's exactly why fields are shown as hotspots in the dev diary you are referring to. At some point, food will have a decent bonus or is necessary to feed NPCs in your town or such.

But as I said at the very start: as of this state of the game, bread and fields are purely useless as you acquire enough during your adventures.

Silynx

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

During the first open test, people had issues that no 'tutorial' existed, holding their hand to teach them the basics. The developers listened to that feedback and implemented a short tutorial. Baking bread is simply the most trivial form of conveying gathering resources and crafting, which is why the fields are marked as hotspots on the map.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

I don't think that's how we ended up with bread though. The tutorial teaches you to make a variety of things, bread is not necessary in that context but does give the player an easy form of food before leaving town.

Making bandages, armor and weapons seem to teach the same mechanics imho.

When a lot more content gets implemented tothe game, many things that perhaps seem less attractive now will become more attractive later on.

Perhaps you will use bread to feed your chickens, then they will lay a golden egg that you will trade for princesses hand in marriage.

Just a crude example. 😉

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Indeed, I do hope that bread and farmlands become more attractive later on.

One way I see them becoming more attractive is that food decays over time and raw unprocessed meat should decay the fastest. Processed food like bread, should last for a longer time, making them suitable for long journeys without worrying to hunt for food all the time.

Farmlands will then be valuable because they become the only way to produce the raw materials to create long lasting food. Ambitious guilds will then have motivation to fight over farmlands making it a "hotspot" for conflict.

@Silynx said in Why bake bread?:

(...)Making bandages, armor and weapons seem to teach the same mechanics imho.

Most certainly! But you never know where an adventurer is headed. Remember that there are areas where there's no food resource, so it's likely best to have the first step be creation of a food supply that lasts you for about an hour. That's ample time to get you going past the tutorial.

choices i guess

@Logain said in Why bake bread?:

sigh Just think of all those wagons we will have to be toting around to be able to carry all that bread and STONES! OMG THE STONES! we need (so many stonless places think vale of shadows where a good campfire is nice but cant build!).

@Ostaff said in Why bake bread?:

(...)Just think of all those wagons we will have to be toting around to be able to carry all that bread and STONES(...)

Well, we already know that 'preparation for exploration' is one of the concepts supporting the idea of horizontal progression in Fractured, so that is to be expected to an extent? That said, there's going to be plenty more social hubs (cities) around these areas, which, according to the developers, are meant to be used as 'closest base' and hence can drastically reduce the specific amounts to be carried.

• DymStudios - CEO

@Logain said in Why bake bread?:

During the first open test, people had issues that no 'tutorial' existed, holding their hand to teach them the basics. The developers listened to that feedback and implemented a short tutorial. Baking bread is simply the most trivial form of conveying gathering resources and crafting, which is why the fields are marked as hotspots on the map.

^ this! 🙂

@idioticmaddog said in Why bake bread?:

Indeed, I do hope that bread and farmlands become more attractive later on.

Oh, they will, trust me. Just wait for player cities and food maintenance costs to become a thing 😄

@Prometheus AND food maintenance?!! Alright.. that does it. I'm opening up a Food Cart business! It'll be the only way I'd be able to afford feeding my gluttenous self on all those long treks across the realms! and the stones.. the herbs.. the bones... oh.. boy.. Imma gonna need a very big cart... sure hope I can find a proper size donkey for it!

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Why bake bread? The cooked and prepared meats take up more space in your inventory and weigh your encumbrance down.

• I am hoping that different foods give temporary buffs in the future. As of now seems no point.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Prometheus said in Why bake bread?:

Oh, they will, trust me. Just wait for player cities and food maintenance costs to become a thing 😄

Nice!

@Prometheus I am interested to know that does different NPCs or city stations need or favor different kind of food? Because that way various dishes would have more use on top of the buffs what they usually offer. On top of that it would be nice if more complex dishes in general also offers more nutrition to the NPCs or stations.

• @Tuoni
    In Albion different crafting stations want different food (they get bonus nutrition). Maybe Fractured devs want to make something similar?

@Razvan said in Why bake bread?:

@Tuoni
    In Albion different crafting stations want different food (they get bonus nutrition). Maybe Fractured devs want to make something similar?

Yeah it is true that something similar would be nice, however, perhaps that system could be develope somehow further. 🤔

It is okay that some food offer bonus nutritions but perhaps specific foods could buff the NPCs as well. If e.g. a blacksmith favors meat stew that could give on top of the nutrition also a temporary buff so players gets bonuses (+x%) when they craft armors or weapons for example. These bonuses can be resource return rates or a better chance to get higher quality items or something like that.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Again folks, this is an Alpha test. What is in the game now will be developed. I'm sure they're going to make foods have a use other than just stopping a toon's hunger.

@KirwinHansel And you think we do not know that? Even the game is in alpha it does not mean that we cannot make suggestion or discuss about the topic.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured