Travelling&Exploration

• I have played in the last two test phases and I observed that travelling is big problem right now. It takes a lot of time going from a place to place. Devs said there will be very minor fast travelling options. What do you guys thing should be done in order to solve this problem?

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

I think waiting for the mounts is the best option really.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I don't think it is actually a problem. The key idea behind exploration is taking a long amount of time traveling unknown territory, not going from 'place to place'.
    Why does it pose a problem for you?

• @Logain For example, I was exploring creeping woods and my home was very close to it. So I could go back and forth to eat and sleep and etc. However, after learning all the skills from there, I decided to go to Goblin Hills and the it took more than 45 mins just to reach there. The journey was not very entertaining and I was very far from my home and my items in the chest. I think this is kinda problematic.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Clinion I actually found it to be part of the fun to prepare for my journeys: clean the inventory, stock on healing objects and food, prepare objects for a campfire... I can see it might not be appealing to some, but it overall gives a very precise game experience to it. That said I would have liked some "safepoints" like a inn or something that gives me a spawn point.

• @Balderly Not all areas are equal. After a while you unlock all the skills you want so you'd rather farm a certain area for reagents and other mats. If you picked a bad spot as your home, doing a 40min trip every time you PVE stop being fun quite fast. Then you have to account for the fact that 2/3 planets will have open pvp (and ganking). Anyway, in the release we will have mounts and fast travel.

Travelling on foot/mount will be fine when you haven't seen the area and are exploring it. However, once you have explored a place then it is just tedious getting to areas where you want to hunt. I completely agree we need some sort of fast travel options in the game. Maybe some kind of travelling circles that can be built in you house that can be set to areas you have been before. That way you are only allowed to go there if you have traveled to it manually for the knowledge. Or maybe something like the moongates in UO that at least can shorten your trips where you want to go by creating short cuts to general areas. Allowing such creations in towns would be nice as well so people can go from town to town. Limit them to individuals and not carts, wagons etc.. so the transportation system isn't circumvented.

If the game is going to require players to sit at the computer for hours on end to get anywhere then casual players will be eliminated from the game and that will severely limit the success of sales. Some people only have an hour at a time to play a game and if there are no safe logouts other than your home then everything has to be a round trip for fun.

I can appreciate wanting some kind of fast travel skill, that we can learn by traveling over and over again to a particular location, that might allow us to learn how to travel back to it quicker. I know we won't be able to travel between the worlds without learning a skill first in order to open a portal to do so (forgive me if I'm forgetting the correct wording on this one) so I think it could also be possible to add a way for us to learn how to open a portal to a far away city once we've visited it a few times? Certainly it would have to be as hard to learn and expensive to cast as traveling off world would be. Or add in some alchemy potions that allow for increased movement speed?

• DymStudios - CEO

@Clinion @Razvan @Farlander there's one part of the game that's still missing which is at the core of your issues here: cities! 🙂 The closest one will always serve as respawn point if you die, will provide local storage for your items, will allow you to rest in a tavern, etc. It will truly make the travelling experience feel very different, without taking away that "preparation" part that players like @Balderly enjoy, which is actually a core component of the Fractured experience 🙂

@Prometheus said in Travelling&Exploration:

@Clinion @Razvan @Farlander there's one part of the game that's still missing which is at the core of your issues here: cities! 🙂 The closest one will always serve as respawn point if you die, will provide local storage for your items, will allow you to rest in a tavern, etc. It will truly make the travelling experience feel very different, without taking away that "preparation" part that players like @Balderly enjoy, which is actually a core component of the Fractured experience 🙂

oh, yes. the "closest" doesn't include it being around the mountain so your trip back is 3 hours, vs the slightly further one away that's a 15 minute trip back.

• @Jetah If we will have free naked (no items on you or inventory) teleportation between the towns, spawning in the "closest" town and not in the one you wish wouldn't be a problem. But you bring up a solid point about the game: it's hard to tell if a certain area is passable or not based on the minimap. Unless you already know the map well, starting the journey to your body from the closest town could be a long and frustrating experience.

• DymStudios - CEO

@Jetah @Razvan we'll try to make the system as smart as possible, but in general we don't have such long impassable mountains on the map. The only exception is the chain surrounding the Vale, but there will be no towns within it, so that won't be a problem 🙂

I like that you have considered storage and respawn at the closest city. However, the problem still lies in getting to that closest city that is close to where you want to hunt. If it still takes an hour to get to that city from where you last logged out it's still going to be a big time sink. If there was a way to teleport between cities that would be awesome.

Teleporting (even naked) between cities would bring up another issue, and that is ability for large armies quickly moving through the world which could cause much bigger issues than having a little time sink while traveling.

Traveling is in fact the point of Fractured, the world is meant to be big, and not simple to roam through, without investing time and effort.

• @Gothix To my understanding, each planet will have multiple islands such as the one we played in beta. I can see why there should be a time restriction when traveling between islands for the reason stated by you - which will most likely be passed by big guilds via alts. However, I don't think such a restriction should exist within the same island, considering that it would take maybe 20min to travel from one end to another with mounts.

@Prometheus said in Travelling&Exploration:

@Jetah @Razvan we'll try to make the system as smart as possible, but in general we don't have such long impassable mountains on the map. The only exception is the chain surrounding the Vale, but there will be no towns within it, so that won't be a problem 🙂

honestly i think having us select the city would be better. show a map of where we are, where cities are we can respawn to. this negates the whole 'auto spawn in a bad area' situation. now i'm thinking of this mostly from the testing aspect. i think at launch the character should be a ghost at their body (or graveyards). being a soul having to navigate back to a body is pretty doable. otherwise the gods are just creating bodies at will for every death.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

There is always an option to play Beastman and travel faster on 4 legs 😉

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured