Houses in the wilderness

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Does anyone else feel there are too many house plots in the wilderness?

it's kinda weird walking every 100 metres and finding a cottage in a un-uniform random location.

Im hoping houses out side of city's are a bit more sporadic or at least partially instanced so the whole world is not littered with half built random houses with monsters roaming around and no roads

@Xzoviac said in Houses in the wilderness:

(...)it's kinda weird walking every 100 metres and finding a cottage in a in uniform random location(...)

I'd assume that's simply a balancing issue likely to be attended during Beta 2 stage, where they have a more firm grasp on the rough amount of customers and their preferences concerning planet and zone.

• Wiki Editor

As i remember, they will add some decay, that means if you don't maintain your buildings, they will be ruins after a while.
    That would prevent tousands of unused Houses.

You will need much housing spots at the start, because people want and need a house.
    But randomly spawning into the world would make it less dense at a special area.

@Xzoviac As there are no town plots yet, it's just a way of giving people a house plot during the test stages.

Perhaps maintenance of houses outside of cities could be more expensive, compared to town houses... and the further from towns they are, the more expensive maintenance is.

Which makes sense, because in towns you have more developed infrastructure, access to materials, and so on. It's easyer to maintain something in civilization, then something in wilderness.

This will naturally lead to houses in harsher wilderness, being more rare, because most people will not wish to bother with (tangibly) increased expenses.

@Gothix

maintenance should really depend on materials used. cheap and easy materials should cost more to maintain but hardy and expensive materials should last longer.

Maintenance should not be to the point that you feel like you are playing to keep your house. Personally I like UO's system where simply logging in kept your house secured. What about when you have to take an extended time away from the game such as for a vacation? I know we have the carpenter option is there anything else? If that costs real cash I can see people quitting over being forced to pony up money to keep their house from disappearing. I also don't feel any houses of the same type should be more expensive to maintain than another.

@Jetah said in Houses in the wilderness:

@Gothix

maintenance should really depend on materials used. cheap and easy materials should cost more to maintain but hardy and expensive materials should last longer.

Sure, but then, wilderness should only contain "raw materials", that you need to process to get the better quality materials. And then best quality processing should only exist in cities. So therefore, most houses in cities would require less maintenance.

You could of course drag these materials from city to your house far away, but that would then require some effort since your house is far away, leading to houses far away require more "maintenance / crafting effort", thus such houses in wilderness being more rare.

You can't honestly expect to get same conditions in city and in wilderness far away from everyone. This would then lead to the mentioned problem of "wilderness" being super populated with house... which in turn will make it ... "not wilderness".

@Gothix said in Houses in the wilderness:

@Gothix

Sure, but then, wilderness should only contain "raw materials", that you need to process to get the better quality materials. And then best quality processing should only exist in cities. So therefore, most houses in cities would require less maintenance.

You could of course drag these materials from city to your house far away, but that would then require some effort since your house is far away, leading to houses far away require more "maintenance / crafting effort", thus such houses in wilderness being more rare.

You can't honestly expect to get same conditions in city and in wilderness far away from everyone. This would then lead to the mentioned problem of "wilderness" being super populated with house... which in turn will make it ... "not wilderness".

It's a nice idear i think that would work 🙂

Making the better materials itself will cost more money/time/effort I assume, so combining the building effort and making the better quality materials also for maintenance, I think overall it will not make that much of a difference.

@Farlander said in Houses in the wilderness:

Maintenance should not be to the point that you feel like you are playing to keep your house.

You can see it like a weekly quest, where you have to gather some mats and repair. It's not more than that (based on information that far)

• This post is deleted!

@Razvan said in Houses in the wilderness:

@Yitra
    How do you quote?
    Anyway, I hope it's not like a weekly quest, but more like a simple task to ensure that the owner is still playing.

Press quote button under the comment you want to quote

I imagine you can stack extra materials pay your repair npc and leave it for a month

@Gothix

not really. a house is a house. those outside city limits still deteriate at the same pace as those in city limits. wood doesn't rot faster because it's x distance from a city center. actually being in a city could be worse because of fire, termites, roaches, rats, (and with Fractured) raids. I'd say having a house out of the city is better and offers more than being within the city limits.

my grandparents house is out of the city limits and it isn't degrading faster than those in the nearby city. Same for my fathers house which is just down the road. The 'city' is a 10 minute drive (at interstate speeds). The grandparents house is made of cypress while some parts are made of pine. The cypress will not rot, not be susceptible to termites, black ants, etc, but the pine parts will be. This is why I said "it depends on the materials the house is built with".

There's a youtube video I watched where a hotel, IE very susceptible to visitor damage, used solid oak on parts of the hallway and rooms. The bath was an all-in-one section (which was cheaper than built-on-site) so they spent more for that solid wood so that the maintenance would be cheaper in the long term.

@Jetah yes it depends on materials house is build from, but do you have those materials (high quality processed materials, not raw ones) far away from civilization?

No, unless you drag them there, and with manual travel using horses and small cart it should be hard effort. Lot harder to build house in wilderness than in city where you have processed materials readily available.

Players will be able to process materials, but my point is that players shouldn't be able to process materials up to maximum perfection in wilderness... such processing should only be available in "civilization area", and then if someone wants to make an effort of repeated long runs to his wilderness home to drag those materials there, sure.

Otherwise, just outright building a house with lower processed materials in wilderness, should result in houses that deteriorate faster.

@Jetah yes it depends on materials house is build from, but do you have those materials (high quality processed materials, not raw ones) far away from civilization?

No, unless you drag them there, and with manual travel using horses and small cart it should be hard effort. Lot harder to build house in wilderness than in city where you have processed materials readily available.

Players will be able to process materials, but my point is that players shouldn't be able to process materials up to maximum perfection in wilderness... such processing should only be available in "civilization area", and then if someone wants to make an effort of repeated long runs to his wilderness home to drag those materials there, sure.

Otherwise, just outright building a house with lower processed materials in wilderness, should result in houses that deteriorate faster.

wood is wood. you just have to cut it down to the thickness you want. there isn't any 'processing' at all. people in the jungle, use a hatchet, axe, etc to get the same boards those in the USA get with machines.

you're trying to act like wood is different if it's cut down in a forest or a city. it's the same wood.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Yitra Right. people are build in the wilderness because ther are no towns.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Jetah

True, but wood is definitely treated in this day and age in order to protect itself from the elements. Take a stained deck vs an untreated deck.

I'm no carpenter, but I'll take the stained deck lol. Whether that applies to Fractured, I could not care less. In fact, I would argue maintenance costs should be more expensive in a city

@Pluto said in Houses in the wilderness:

@Jetah

True, but wood is definitely treated in this day and age in order to protect itself from the elements. Take a stained deck vs an untreated deck.

I'm no carpenter, but I'll take the stained deck lol. Whether that applies to Fractured, I could not care less. In fact, I would argue maintenance costs should be more expensive in a city

if you get cypress wood, you wont need to stain, paint or even buy pressure treated. cypress doesn't rot or wont rot in your lifetime. The wood type has so much more to do with the longevity than processes. If you want pine or even oak then you'll want it treated (paint, stain, pressure treated) in some manor. But those processes can be done with 'magic' that's going to exist in the Fractured world.

I dont like the idea that we'll have to maintain a house that'll deteriorate in a month (which is one game year). That just isn't right to me.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

How else can a civilization and big settlements start? It's not like there's a city to form up at.

if you get cypress wood, you wont need to stain, paint or even buy pressure treated. cypress doesn't rot or wont rot in your lifetime. The wood type has so much more to do with the longevity than processes. If you want pine or even oak then you'll want it treated (paint, stain, pressure treated) in some manor. But those processes can be done with 'magic' that's going to exist in the Fractured world.

I dont like the idea that we'll have to maintain a house that'll deteriorate in a month (which is one game year). That just isn't right to me.

There are building products which are available that make your home sturdier as well as you would imagine that the building techniques used in a city would results in a sturdier home. A cabin in the woods is not built to the same specifications as a home in a city. So I would say that a home build in the woods would not be of the same quality as a home build in the city.

Also I am a little surprised that you dislike this mechanic. You usually seem come out in favor a more 'realism' in your fantasy. Maintenance is the bane of every homeowner.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured