Suggestion - herb gardens and a spice trade

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@gothix said in Suggestion - herb gardens and a spice trade:

Hmmm, a garden in cellar where one can grow some (illegal) herbs...

But if NPC guards catch you with those on your way to town market, they should attack you on sight. 😉

Khajiit doesn't know what you're talking about. 🙀

This one is a moonsugar farmer, he would never do such thing.

In all seriousness, we know we can farm so I don't see why we wouldn't be able to grow herbs.

• Wiki Editor

@target said in Suggestion - herb gardens and a spice trade:

I believe one of the reasons devs usually spread these things around the world instead of allowing the farming of them is to promote exploration, and I feel like that element should still be present in Fractured in some way. Maybe finding wild herbs and spices should be the primary way to harvest seeds? Then that harvester can use those seeds in their own garden or sell them. For example: harvesting farmed herbs have a 20% chance to yield a seed, but wild herbs will have on average 5 seeds. This opens up a possibility of a seed market that relies on exploration.

This is sort of similar to how Project Gorgon did it and I thought it worked out well. Not everything growable re-yielded seeds, but some did like cotton and barely. Collection yields increased as Gardening skill increased as well. At a low skill, you might get nothing; but a high skill at least 1 was guaranteed.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@therippyone said in Suggestion - herb gardens and a spice trade:

@jetah just be sure to not eat the herbs when you devour the corpses of your enemies XD might be tastier, but you want to use them when you need them XD

https://i.imgur.com/au1w48O.gif

@kellewic
    I don't understand why a plant wouldn't bear seeds.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

I'm not sure if someone else has mentioned it but Life is Feudal has an interesting take on herbs. Combinations of certain herbs and plants give you different results and all combinations are different for each player so the discovery is always present for everyone. You cant just google every combo. I like it that way. Having some sort of version of this?

• TF#5 - LEGATE

@gothix said in Suggestion - herb gardens and a spice trade:

Hmmm, a garden in cellar where one can grow some (illegal) herbs...

But if NPC guards catch you with those on your way to town market, they should attack you on sight. 😉

Okay, all joking aside, I really like this idea. Herb gardens should grow different things on each world to encourage inter-world trade, and illicit drugs would be perfect for demons to grow, and then get out on the black market on Syndesia. The only problem is that there are a lot of rules and regulations regarding video games and I think that drugs and alcohol are a big no-no. I seem to remember that LOTRO had some real hurdles when it came to tobacco.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@Needlehawk Well, Skyrim, like @Vengu mentioned, has the whole moonsugar thing, so it is possible that Fractured could have drugs.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

But what to do with drugs in Fractured? 😄 Influencing Karma?^^
    Anyway, there are many nice things in crafting to do with planted herbs etc, and it would fit perfectly in the style of horizontal progression in Fractured 🙂

@jetah the "logic" would be that not all harvested plants would be "in season" and thus wouldn't produce viable seeds. Given that the world has just seen an apocalypse, of a sort, and unleashed all kinds of supernatural bs across three planets and countless asteroids, this isn't entirely unreasonable.

but really, it would (hopefully) be a carefully tailored algorithm to support a stable state of availability and economic effects while promoting mastery through probabilistic internal means.

@alcriblp well, I've played Eternal Darkness, so, yeah, if you want drugs in a video game, expect some truly trippy things to happen XD I wouldn't mind that, actually. OD on something and the game acts like it's formatting your hard drive, or "turns off" your monitor, or disconnected your keyboard as critters close in XD all sorts of nasty mind screw stuff cause you tripped to hard on shrooms XD

I will make a business out of selling hallucinogenic mushrooms 🙂

It doesn't need to be RL drugs. Just some invented herbs (that don't exist on Earth) that would be outlawed in Fractured worlds. They might have some effects when consumed (these effects can be discussed, for example temporary attribute boost but followed by having negative attribute effect in after effect, or whatever, or if you stop consuming them regularly they cause hallucinations).

There can be many ideas, that don't interfere with RL laws, and could cause tricky legal situation for the game.

@target or maybe some really rare plants can only be found in the wild they have better stat boost / uses ect but can only be found in the wild not planted

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Having illegal herbs sounds like it'll be fun. To add on, what about drugs that could temporarily change one's alignment?

Also, would having some system for herb hybridization be too complicated? It might be an interesting way to somehow combine the effects of different herbs, or find a way to grow similar herbs out of season.

@therippyone NICE! i love this idea. but with that said...lot of memorising or just plain winging it xD

@therippyone

if there are no seeds then the plant won't reproduce. that would be like planting pumpkins but you never get any pumpkins from it.

@codetsilon well, it's not all that much. figure 6 types of dishes - chicken, pork, beef, fish, vegetables, grain (breads and the like), 8 herbs, and 6 spices. Even if you don't remember exactly what some combination does, you'd be able to guess just from knowing the basics. XD

@jetah right, but just because there are seeds, doesn't mean the seeds are ready to reproduce - take them out to early, and there may not be enough nutrients in the seed to sustain the newly sprouted plant, or the seed coat isn't ready, so the seed is unprotected and dies in the elements before it's buried. you take a cucumber from the market, plant the seeds from it - 99% of the time, nothing will grow, even though there are a tonne of seeds in a cucumber, normally. sure, part of that is the hostile and adverse conditions that a farmer puts on the fruit, and continued by the grocer, but

I will once again note, "sudden supernatural bs all over the place" - maybe it takes longer for a plant to develop seeds in a hostile environment, one saturated with this weird magic stuff?

Like, exposing a seed to Arboreus' aether means it grows explosively, and ends up dying unless its stored enough material to survive the unnatural growth? and maybe plants on Tartaros need extra protection from the ravening effects of the hellscape? Syn's theoretical plant issues are harder to come up with, but a decent writer can bs an acceptable answer without too much trouble XD

(ps - I vaguely doubt that this will actually happen - remember, the devs don't like rng in terms of drops, and this "maybe you'll get a seed, maybe you won't" is pretty much that. Still, a proper algorithm on something of this nature is a way to fight some of the effects of deflation on player controlled resources)

• TF#5 - LEGATE

OK, so it would be hilarious if the only thing that came out of this thread was illegal drugs in game. 😂

@unicon I had thought about skills in plant genetics to create hybrids, but that sounds to me like an additional stretch goal if they make a lot of money with pledges on the store.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Needlehawk: Yes, that would be a bit hilarious 😄

So let's get back to the topic 🙂 Healing, buffs or debuffs, food quality, many things are possible with plantations, gardening or something similar. And the big garden of houses out of the towns are really perfect to include something.

@TheRippyOne: Sounds very nice what you think about the seeds, it should be like finding seeds somewhere in the wilds and then you may reproduce them when you cultivate plants, but if you have no high wisdom in gardening, you will not get many seeds, or if you harvest them to early. Gardening can also be a nice way of increasing your wisdom, by the way 🙂

@alcriblp said in Suggestion - herb gardens and a spice trade:

@Needlehawk: Yes, that would be a bit hilarious 😄

So let's get back to the topic 🙂 Healing, buffs or debuffs, food quality, many things are possible with plantations, gardening or something similar. And the big garden of houses out of the towns are really perfect to include something.

@TheRippyOne: Sounds very nice what you think about the seeds, it should be like finding seeds somewhere in the wilds and then you may reproduce them when you cultivate plants, but if you have no high wisdom in gardening, you will not get many seeds, or if you harvest them to early. Gardening can also be a nice way of increasing your wisdom, by the way 🙂

the problem with this logic is that the seeds vary by the person picking them, instead of the item. You'll find a good amount of seeds in a pumpkin regardless how your knowledge is of that item.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured