Winter Alpha Spotlight – City Overhaul

• DymStudios - CEO

Hi, fellow gamer and MMO enthusiast!

Here we go with the second update on the upcoming Winter Alpha. The focus this time is on player cities - and it's on video!

Check it out!

Also, you’re all invited to take part to a live Q&A / roundtable that will be taking place this Sunday, January 31, at 6pm CET (12pm EST) on our Twitch channel.

Feel free to leave your questions in advance in this forum post!

Cheers!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Prometheus

I saw in the article where you talked about the major "leeching" and permissions issue for the cities. So I will be posting the referenced forum threads here for you. I do not know how much is needed to discuss in this setting however, since you appear to want us to mostly wait and discuss it during your Twitch stream. But anyhow, here are the links and waiting to hear your reply 🙂

https://forum.fracturedmmo.com/topic/13249/the-decision-for-public-vs-citizens-only-crafting-stations-should-be-made-by-governors-not-dynamight?page=1
    https://forum.fracturedmmo.com/topic/13248/first-impressions-on-the-new-city-system

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Some really solid changes and I think they're for the better! I very much look forward to seeing the updates and changes throughout this year, keep going guys! 😄

• Prepare for resource war

@Prometheus said in Winter Alpha Spotlight – City Overhaul:

(...) on our Twitch channel(...)

You're making sure that the recorded version can be watched at a later point, right? 😉 (Just a reminder 😛 )

Very nice informative video, and very nice improvements to how things work. 🙂

Thank you!

@Prometheus BRAVO!! i think this changes are amazing!

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Looks around and watches all the fellow PVE players get up and leave...

BlueGoblin gets up and leaves too...sigh... “there was hope for this one”

The entire design still caters to “big business guilds” and players can no longer run a small hamlet on their own. You’re now forced to be part of a coalition.

All of the flaws are responded with ‘just kill them’. Well, what if you don’t want to PvP, what if they are literally way too powerful to stop, what if you’re a casual? Now your game hours are spent trying to deal with a uh, “clown,” verse doing what you want. Like farming or mining... It’s just so unappealing now...

If everyone has access to the resources, the resources will never be there. You’ll take your cart, see nothing and then get murdered and lose more than you started with. 100% fail.

How will this system work for Beastfolk?

• @BlueGoblin said in Winter Alpha Spotlight – City Overhaul:

The entire design still caters to “big business guilds” and players can no longer run a small hamlet on their own. You’re now forced to be part of a coalition.

All of the flaws are responded with ‘just kill them’. Well, what if you don’t want to PvP, what if they are literally way too powerful to stop, what if you’re a casual? Now your game hours are spent trying to deal with a uh, “clown,” verse doing what you want. Like farming or mining... It’s just so unappealing now...

If everyone has access to the resources, the resources will never be there. You’ll take your cart, see nothing and then get murdered and lose more than you started with. 100% fail.

Diplomacy. Make friends and get to know the lay of the land. Any guild with sense will make ties to groups like you're speaking to, or they'll wait until they're warring with another guild and offer you the world for resource help. You might be surprised at how many issues can be solved by the player population ingame when allowed to police itself.

players can no longer run a small hamlet on their own. You’re now forced to be part of a coalition.

@Prometheus This is a question I would like addressing on the stream if possible. In regards to the above quote, the recent changes imply that smaller guilds will not be able to have their own settlements, but rather each land mass will only cater to roughly 30 guilds. This changes the dynamic of the game in a huge way, forcing large coalitions and deterring playing in smaller groups or with friends. How do you vision this working? - I must confess I much prefer the idea of more smaller towns than just large cities.

Also, I was discussing the fact that all cities are safe zones with a friend, and he made a valid point that we could essentially go into an enemy territory, hide inside an enemy city and wait for them to leave the boundaries. Once they are outside of their own city, we chase and kill them, only to return and be defended by their own (our enemies) territory. This feels as though it could be very easily abused. What are your thoughts on this?

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@ThrillKill your still proposing a forced play style. One that fails most of the time for PvE and casual players. People that don’t want to get “that involved” do not stay.

@BlueGoblin said in Winter Alpha Spotlight – City Overhaul:

this is not correct, this is a good middle point between solo and guild gameplay, maybe there is more steps so all feel good in the game, but its very good step.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@grofire I disagree. I am correct. I have already been messaged by some friends from other game communities saying they’re not interested in the test anymore. Period and factual. Being forced into PvP when you’re just trying to log in for some morning farming is not fun. Period. This is not middle ground when a small group of players are forced to settle around an Amazon guild. They can’t design there own city or have their own thing. Just a house you can’t do anything in and is essentially pointless outside having the rights to use the city. It’s a dumpster fire.

@ThrillKill your still proposing a forced play style. One that fails most of the time for PvE and casual players. People that don’t want to get “that involved” do not stay.

Aren't you proposing the same as well though?

About the only thing I like about the proposed changes are that resource areas can't be off limits to people not members of a specific town. I like it since if resources are so crucial then make access more then having claimed a specific city. If someone wants exclusive rights to a resource area then they should have to assert themselves for that exclusivity.

I point that out as if I'm understanding your post, it's what you take most issue with. Meaning, you wanted to claim one of over a (prior to this announcement) 100 cities and have exclusive ownership of a resource location by that virtue.

If that's correct, then you very much want to get involved. You simply want to be involved under your own rules.

@BlueGoblin in no point you are forced to PVP...

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@grofire if I can be murdered in this test for mining, I am certainly forced to pvp

@BlueGoblin you can play in the beast world, there you can't be attack at all.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@grofire yes, I can when they actually launch it.
    But how do all of issues get resolved when you can’t simply “kill” them. That is why I asked, how does this system work for beastfolk.

Additionally, playing beastfolk doesn’t change the fact your forced into a big guild coalition.

• Another question -

I posted this on another thread but would you consider a compromise such as say......3/4 NPC cities across a map which are classed as safe zones, and then player towns are restricted to the actual guilds (with obvious benefits over NPC cities). Natural resource nodes could still be contested etc.

This would also allow more smaller settlements, rather than forcing large coalitions. It would also allow more of the smaller guilds and groups to have access to their own land / towns and function independently (or collectively if they wish).

@BlueGoblin

Maybe on Arboreus than can use the smal town - large town style again. Since Arboreus is suppose to be the largest, they could really add a ton of towns, and since it is almost completely PvP free, then there is no worries for them being pk'd.

I do agree that the game at the moment does seem very PvP oriented, however, they have been gearing up for this PvP alpha that is coming up since the last alpha. So hopefully, after this alpha they will start balancing things out versus PvP and PvE again and have Arboreus up as soon as Beta starts if not before.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured