How will work the repair system?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Good evening to all, I`d like to ask the developers or anyone that knows how will work the repair system in the game? I have been playing since 2019 and do not listen nothing about it. With this new alpha and the implement of metalurgy and mining will be difficult to create lots of equipments, the video of Prometheus show us that even large guilds will have difficult to do production quantities. A repair system that uses just a certain quantity of materials equivalent to how damaged is the equipment will be a good news for the community. I'd like to thank all people involved in the game and apologize for my english.

• To my understanding, we won't be able to repair items.

No repairs is good for crafters I guess. For those rare items it will hurt to have to find the materials again and I'd make sure to write down quantities for the results I liked.

But there is the problem to enchant everytime when equipment broke. I`m sure that is good for crafters but the time wasted to mine, process, craft and enchant will make these kind of equipment just used to city wars or some specific content.

• @Elex
    Maybe the item durability should be increased a bit, but other than that I don't think it's such a big problem. If you want to always wear top gear, I guess you can bulk farm regeants and then craft a few sets (that's what I did in the previous tests anyway).

I may be overstating or even partly missing the mark, but this feels to me that Lvl grinding has been replaced by resource grinding.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Stacy555 said in How will work the repair system?:

I may be overstating or even partly missing the mark, but this feels to me that Lvl grinding has been replaced by resource grinding.

I'm not 100% certain of the direction they will take it. But my experience with Ultima Online tells me that item sinks are good. If you want a system where players have control over the economy, items having durability is hugely important in making that happen. I don't believe items should be repaired indefinitely though. I'd like to see something similar to Escape From Tarkov, where the max durability is reduced every time you repair the item. And at a certain point, it will no longer be as effective as an item, requiring your to replace it entirely. Perhaps, that can be extended to the enchantments on the item as well.

I think people look at grinding as a negative thing far too often. A game must keep our interests, especially so in a MMO. And not just keeping our interests short term, but for long periods of time. There should be some grind in any game that you play. If you are able to replace your gear with ease, no consequence, then why even have that system at all? With a city siege system as well, losing must have consequences. Being choked of your resources should be viable. I'd even argue that with the absence of a level system. There is even less to do. So grinding will likely be inherently more prevalent.

• @d3Sync could not agree more, item turnover keeps us busy grinding and guilds busy working together! you get diff guilds grinding materials and they will be butting heads fighting each other. That is good content generated by grinding right there. so long as it isnt the sort of grind thats an excuse for lack of content i think most people will support it.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

I wouldn't put too much stock in the alpha. This one I doubt will have repairing. Maybe beta.

• @d3Sync
    You can have item sinks even with a repair system. For example, in Albion, when someone dies, each item in their inventory has a 30% chance to trash.

• Community Manager

@Razvan said in How will work the repair system?:

To my understanding, we won't be able to repair items.

Yep, this is the current plan. The devs want to try it without a repair system.

@Specter So I was right? I want another cookie!

• Community Manager

@TrueCrimsonFTW Not entirely. At the moment there are no plans to implement repairing at all. 😉 Not now and not in the beta.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I don't really understand a system with no repairs. Meaning, no degradation. Will there be an alternative degradation system? If items remain in existence forever, then eventually, the game will be saturated with high level gear. Only in rare occasions, IE PvE, will items be lost forever. I can understand wanting to try something. But a player economy with no item sinks sounds impossible to succeed.

• Content Creator

@d3Sync said in How will work the repair system?:

I don't really understand a system with no repairs. Meaning, no degradation. Will there be an alternative degradation system? If items remain in existence forever, then eventually, the game will be saturated with high level gear. Only in rare occasions, IE PvE, will items be lost forever. I can understand wanting to try something. But a player economy with no item sinks sounds impossible to succeed.

They said there would be no Repair system, not a lack of degradation system. They already have a degradation system in place actually. The only difference is, as gear degrades, you can't repair it, it must be replaced when it reaches 0% durability, that's all. A distinct item sink program, but without any kind of real dampener. I mean, you can use enchantments to increase the durability of an item, so it lasts longer, but this of course takes up one of the item's enchantment slots (or more, depending on the tier of the enchantment used)

One idea could enchanting like they do in Minecraft.

• @TrueCrimsonFTW
    You have to expand on that because no everyone played Minecraft.
    You can already improve the max durability of items, with durability enchant or using a base material that gives a durability bonus, but these just increase the maximum decay value.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I wonder if there is a way to mix metals and produce better endurance in the metals, for plate or chain mail armor for instance?

@Scortch said in How will work the repair system?:

is a way to mix metals and produce better endurance in the metals, for plate o

We will be able to mix metals for alloy ingots, however, I do not think we will be able to mix metal for crafting (though I would like to see this as an ability later in the game to increase the amount of different stats affected and thus a wider range of equipment that is not all cookie-cutter equipment).

• @Ostaff
    It will most likely be the way it is with items crafted from wood: each alloy has a specific bonus that is applied to the item. Making it otherwise would make other crafting trees less powerful compared to smithing since they can't mix different types of leathers or wood.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured