Why this game is not fun

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Hello,

yesterday i started to play with 5 friends. We all are veterans and playing full loot games since 10+ years.
    All have stopped playing after 2 days already because of the following reasons:

• Fighting system: Stupid left click on hard mobs without any progress, Killing mobs getting more skills yes we know but still the skills don't get better.

• Mage: Playing a mage in the beginning is pain in the ass. Following the tutorial questline does not make it better. Killing goblins as a mage is ... lets say not impossible but you have to be a try hard because you will die every 2 minutes and than you have to walk back for 15 minutes. Sounds good doesn't it?

• Getting gold for a house: This is the most crappy thing we have seen in a game. Farming 500 gold. hm ... Sounds easy in the beginning and it is but you need a few hours to get 500 gold to be able to buy a house plot. Why is it a few hours? The mobs we found were insane strong. As the abilities do not get stronger we need to hit 100 times to kill it. The next .. killing this mobs alone was impossible .. so we did it as a group. But the mobs drop 5-8 gold only. Each of us wanted to build a house not only one.

• Map size/farming and death: If you die a few times you don't get auto revive anymore. We saw the logic behind buuuuuut ... imagine you have to walk 20+ minutes to get to a mob spawn. Does that sound like fun if you die? Death has consequences right now is consequence is that people leave the game.

I know there a lot of old players who feeling like in old times when they started to play UO. I never played that game. I don't get nostaltic like others.

For me it was not possible to hold my friends in that game. They don't want to walk 20+ minutes without any progress, without any reward, without any fun.

I hope they will change the game 100% to make it more common accessable so not only UO nerds like it.

Thats our opinion and now you can start flaming. It doesn't matter ...

• TF#10 - CONSUL

It's a very early alpha release. Not much of a "game" yet, more of an advanced proof of concept.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

For one people should not flame you for posting your opinions on what would improve the game for you 👍

I tend to agree on the left clicking spam for attacking. Reminds me of Diablo. I have always preferred a more strategic combat system with targeting lock. I loved SWTOR combat system with target lock/cycle and a skill bar. However, this is the system they chose and for players who know their crap it isn't about spamming but about cycling the right combos of skills. I was never really good at that fast paced button mashing style of console playing though so I feel ya lol.

I've seen several players say in past threads mages were OP. From what I have seen in those threads it is a matter of correct spell types for combat.

MMOs and sandboxes have always been hard work for what you earn in the game. Thinking that a house is something you are entitled to at creation is not the proper way to approach the game. Not just UO but many other games buying your first house was one of your first major achievements.

Dying and losing everything while spawning back at a location too far to retrieve your stuff does stink. SWG started out that way but soon after release made some changes. There is supposed to be quicker ways to travel in the game from what I have has been discussed via mounts and gates. Whether your mount dies as well when you do or it is something bound to you I'm not sure. No matter though in this game you are going to have to expect to lose your stuff when dying. I fully expect that I will either keep tons of extra gear in storage or I will be done each day with exploring after each death to make/buy new stuff. Crafting is supposed to be easy and in turn supposed to be easy to rearm and get back at it.

With that said every game has a learning curve and growing pains. Alpha/beta testing is not the time to make a rash decision to quit playing a game. It is a time to take a break and come back later when it is released to see if you like it after being polished. This is the reason I don't do testing anymore lol..

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Shirax said in Why this game is not fun:

Hello,

yesterday i started to play with 5 friends. We all are veterans and playing full loot games since 10+ years.

• Fighting system: Stupid left click on hard mobs without any progress, Killing mobs getting more skills yes we know but still the skills don't get better.

• Mage: Playing a mage in the beginning is pain in the ass. Following the tutorial questline does not make it better. Killing goblins as a mage is ... lets say not impossible but you have to be a try hard because you will die every 2 minutes and than you have to walk back for 15 minutes. Sounds good doesn't it?

• Getting gold for a house: This is the most crappy thing we have seen in a game. Farming 500 gold. hm ... Sounds easy in the beginning and it is but you need a few hours to get 500 gold to be able to buy a house plot. Why is it a few hours? The mobs we found were insane strong. As the abilities do not get stronger we need to hit 100 times to kill it. The next .. killing this mobs alone was impossible .. so we did it as a group. But the mobs drop 5-8 gold only. Each of us wanted to build a house not only one.

• Map size/farming and death: If you die a few times you don't get auto revive anymore. We saw the logic behind buuuuuut ... imagine you have to walk 20+ minutes to get to a mob spawn. Does that sound like fun if you die? Death has consequences right now is consequence is that people leave the game.

I know there a lot of old players who feeling like in old times when they started to play UO. I never played that game. I don't get nostaltic like others.

For me it was not possible to hold my friends in that game. They don't want to walk 20+ minutes without any progress, without any reward, without any fun.

I hope they will change the game 100% to make it more common accessable so not only UO nerds like it.

I play this game for first time on this open play test.

Targeting system is kinda bad right now I agree with this point. But it is not a game yet just a test.
    I also played mage, it is not that bad. Mages are somewhat hard in the begining in most games. Things change drasticly once you get magic misiles and Frost Armor this are must have skills. I started in the south east.

I farmed zombies and spiders, I didn't find skeletons or goblins, once I found out the skeletons it went a lot faster. Yes dieing every two minutes is normal but you don't die you get knocked down when the green bar goes to 0. I made the newbish mistake you did too. I didn't know that red bar was my health so it got to 0 and I actualy died and had to walk back losing everything. I played solo all the way so was a lot more harder than your expirience in a group. But after the first dead and 10 minutes walk I learned that you make campfire and rest to restore all your red bar. So now you can get knocked down 100 times just resting at a campfire make you never die.
    It is game changer, you just keep 10 stones and 5 branches at all time and you are good, just rest regulary and no problem.

After a day or so learning, I learned everything, now I can do everything with ease got a decent build and I can solo every single monster in the game with no problem enchanments are key!

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@AcOrP

tyvm for your hint.

Well ... we did it totally wrong because we didn't know it.

Would be nice to get this information in the tutorial, so my friends would still play .... That's what happens if you jump in a new game without any knowledge and preparation.

I link the newbe guide in this thread if anyone reads it. In hope they will not do the same errors like we did.

https://forum.fracturedmmo.com/topic/10945/fractured-newbie-guide

The first time i need a newbie guid in a game ...

There are some really important points made here, and I appreciate them. I'll confess that having had both of my toons die twice was a real buzz kill this time around.

In the first test, the house plots were free and so I'd set my toons up on different ends of the map and meant to build in the middle. Got all the way there and found out I needed 500 gold 🤦 😥 Died on the way back to Goblin Hills.

So I started over, and started farming goblins for gold. Got knocked down a LOT but managed to gather 100gp. Brought it back to town bc, not having a house, there was no place but on my person to carry gold and I'd already died w a bunch of gold on me once.

Realized that by the time I got 500 gold pieces to build my house, this test would be over.

SooOOoOooo, I'm gonna wait to build a house until I know my toon will persist, cuz that's a hella job. KUDOS to the folks who got that done quickly!

Probably would be much easier as a guildie, but I had trouble logging in the first few days, so the guilds were pretty much filled up by the time this realization hit me. Oh well.

On the plus side - this game is REALLY immersive. Hours fly by for me when I'm exploring w my little toons. I love learning about the various plants, and wish I'd been able to find a working enchanter's table in the starter town (did I miss that?) Would've made goblin killing a whole lot easier - in the first alpha, I even killed a bunch of wisps by myself with well buffed gear.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Hello,

I'll answer each point you made.

Fighting System- If you are only left clicking on mobs, you are only using your auto attack. You aren't using your skills on your hot bar at all. Also, there are levels planned for the skills in the future, they are just not implemented yet.

Mage- Once again, you need to get skills unlocked to fight the mobs. Did you try killing spiders? You get an ability called Magic Missiles from the spiders that's pretty strong against most normal mobs.

Getting gold for a house- 500g is EASY to get. Fight goblins or zombies or elementals. My guild has about 24 people actively playing the alpha test right now and about 12 of us have houses built. We even stopped looting gold from mobs because for now it serves no other purpose.

The auto-revive you are talking about isn't a death. It is when your Endurance runs out and you get knocked out. You finally die when both that AND your red bar (HP) run out.

You are entitled to your opinion, but it really sounds like you and your friends just ran around with no combat skills equipped and were trying to auto-attack everything.

• Content Creator

I was going to leave a well thought out reply but I decided to just say "you need to leave".

This game is obviously not for you. What you are asking for is an entire revamp of the game and the development design. This game is not for you. Move on.

• @PeachMcD said in Why this game is not fun:
    ... and wish I'd been able to find a working enchanter's table in the starter town[/quote]

Hit my place up -2799 W -30N for public tables (all of them) and crafting services. Public chest at front door - take what you can use, leave what you can't.

If not, catch me next go 'round, eh? 🙂

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I'm sorry you feel that way.

The game keeps progressing from stress test to stress test. It is still in mid Alpha. It looks like you found the newbie guide - hopefully that helps. My biggest tip is to pick up all the small stones. You can (usually) find trees to shake for branches anywhere. When your red bar gets to about half, make a campfire and rest. You've also got to move! If you're overwhelmed, run away and heal. Get range from the mob so it doesn't damage you.

I played for about 6 hours yesterday. Farmed my 500 gold (skeletons) , found a plot near Heartwood and am about halfway through building my house. The house has been a bit of a pain in the butt because all the stone nodes around are camped by wisps - but it's been fun! Today I plan on finishing my house, and then heading to Heartwood.

• @Shirax If you think this game is hard. Then this game is definitely not for you bud. We appreciate the feedback tho.

I would highly recommend that they switch away from the point and click method of moving. That part just doesn't work well for a game like this, I believe, and tends to have a whole lot of problems like we are experiencing. As for the other parts of the original post here, I think most of that is just due to lack of implementation. I think they are headed in the proper direction on those areas, they just have not gotten around to putting in whats needed at this stage.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Ostaff The point and click moving is perfectly fine for this game. Some of the targetting/hitboxes need a bit smoothing out, but if you read this guy's post pretty much they were just running around trying to auto-attack instead of using combat abilities and then saying it's hard...

Of course it would be harder then.. you are missing more than half the combat system..

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Shirax Also I suggest that you update your original post with your later comment in this thread here... because it explains a lot more about why you felt that way in your original post. Pretty much you had no idea how the game worked, tried it out, and then made your post without looking into any of the features of the game.

@AcOrP

tyvm for your hint.

Well ... we did it totally wrong because we didn't know it.

Would be nice to get this information in the tutorial, so my friends would still play .... That's what happens if you jump in a new game without any knowledge and preparation.

I link the newbe guide in this thread if anyone reads it. In hope they will not do the same errors like we did.

https://forum.fracturedmmo.com/topic/10945/fractured-newbie-guide

The first time i need a newbie guid in a game ...

@Harleyyelrah said in Why this game is not fun:

o idea how the game worked, tried it out, and then made your post without looking into any of t

I seriously do not see how point and click could work. We have trees that occupy much of the screen at times that make it impossible to click on a mob that is beneath or behind the tree. So they end up hitting us while we run around trying to be able to get them clickable. Also, moving, its a pain trying to move at times only to have your mouse press hover over a clickable and stop you in your tracks. I strongly feel they need to switch from point and click movement to key press movement. Their strategy for everything else I believe will be fine once they finish implementing them.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

@Ostaff I think you are correctly describing current issues. But I don't think this is necessarily a click-to-move problem. Let's say your left mouse button would always and only be movement, then interactions with trees and other object would require a shift-click (or pick any other button combination). Default attacks could be right-click only and the problems that you described no longer exist.

I don't think there is a reason to abandon the click-to-move style, but more so to figure out a decent way to not get hung up on trees, plants or corpses

Silynx

Another thing to take into consideration is combat. With a point and click, it will be very difficult to implement complex move and attack combos since both attack and movement are click based and entity mouse over selected. Not to mention controller supports and etc.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

But there are also decent examples that even that works. Path of Exile, while being a generally different game, works great. It's popular, fun and utilizes a click to move for combat. In fact, having to combine combat and movement controls is part of the challenge in those games.

I guess my bottom line is: Don't throw click-to-move out of the window, but let's describe the current movement issues and come up with ideas on how to solve the challenges we currently face.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Why this game is not fun:

• it's in alpha with literally less than 10% of the content of the game implemented, and what is implemented is barely serviceable

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I played a mage and farmed goblins easily. Shamans were a little tough, but not really. I used magic missiles, the frost cone starter spell, poison starter spell, the net spell from the goblin archers, and the speed spell from goblins as well. I had over 1k gold and still hadn't finished all my goblin knowledge, I think just needed a few more shamans.

Shamans you could say were difficult, but if you are dying you should consider getting better at the game before calling it trash. All other goblins died so easily it wasn't a challenge at all.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured