Is this game using these Unity Asset Store assets and why?

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/2d/gui/rpg-mmo-ui-6-99450

alt text

Why is this game using bought assets from the Unity Asset Store?

I know it's easy, but it gives the game a bad name when such lazy practices are being used.

How much else of the game is made out of purchased assets?

Considering how the stress test was a complete failure and almost nobody was able to play, I'm curious will this game ever amount to anything...

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Counter-question, if you're going to to put a picture on a wall, do you shop nails, or do you first search for iron ore, refine it to iron, forge a nail and then use it?
    Whenever you can cut corners in software development, you do, that saves time and money and allows you to deliver a cheaper product of higher quality faster.
    Now that doesn't mean you should use bad assets, but as long as the quality suits your standards, there is no harm in doing so, just benefits.
    As to why the stress test revealed issues under load, that is what a test is meant for, it was rather successful in that regards. If you expect a flawless experience from a test two and a half year before the product launches, you might want to reconsider your exposure to early production stages.

@TianlanSha said in Is this game using these Unity Asset Store assets and why?:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/2d/gui/rpg-mmo-ui-6-99450

alt text

Why is this game using bought assets from the Unity Asset Store?

I know it's easy, but it gives the game a bad name when such lazy practices are being used.

How much else of the game is made out of purchased assets?

Considering how the stress test was a complete failure and almost nobody was able to play, I'm curious will this game ever amount to anything...

Why does it give the game a bad name?

Who are the assets aimed at if not people making a game?

Not like DS is a massive studio...

Surely game assets (that imo are high quality)
    Are aimed at the demographic of companies like DS

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Placeholders!

Well I do always judge the merits of a new game by the quality and uniqueness of its login screen... so yeah

• TF#10 - CONSUL

All paid assets are for use if it fits your theme. We should be happy that instead of wasting time they use ready assets when it fits the game.

@tulukaruk

and they can always be changed or updated later.

It makes sense to use graphical placeholders at this stage while they work on the mechanics. Standard practise.

Now If they became like Shroud of the Avatar and sold expensive houses that are from the Unity Asset Store then that'd feel shady to me.

@Psymantis said in Is this game using these Unity Asset Store assets and why?:

It makes sense to use graphical placeholders at this stage while they work on the mechanics. Standard practise.

Now If they became like Shroud of the Avatar and sold expensive houses that are from the Unity Asset Store then that'd feel shady to me.

why put the resources into the art team to create a 'unique' login screen when you can get that pack linked above for 35$. there's no way a hired artist can do that for that cheap. they can use the salary for that person to do other things that'll work out better for us.

and i completely read the statement wrong. that does feel pretty pathetic if that's what Shroud did.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Using store assets to free up time for more important aspects of the game is a no brainer. Especially for indie studios.

• Small independent team.. Ask yourself, do you really want them spending time on a login screen at this stage?

• TF#5 - LEGATE

I really don't get what the problem is with using pre-made assets. I'd rather the focus be on the actual gameplay mechanics, rather than trying to make some fancy UI when a good one already exists. Opportunity cost is a thing after all.

• @Basileus said in Is this game using these Unity Asset Store assets and why?:

I really don't get what the problem is with using pre-made assets. I'd rather the focus be on the actual gameplay mechanics, rather than trying to make some fancy UI when a good one already exists. Opportunity cost is a thing after all.

If you wonder why people have trust issues with devs that use unity store assets, it's because there's a long history of of indie games (often crowd-founded) who did this and in the end they either failed to deliver or were borderline scams. After checking Fractured for half a year and actively participating in discussions for a month now, I came to the conclusion that Dynamight are passionate about Fractured, but I can understand why people who just discovered the game take this as a red flag

• TF#10 - CONSUL

The whole Unity is a ready "asset" 😉 In old days they would have to code everything from the ground. No point in reinventing the wheel.

I can see the level of concern as many of us backers have been burned before in other projects.

I will say that the team (even though small) seems to be very capable and supportive so far with any questions or concerns.

Could this all blow up later due to low funds, etc? Maybe, but it's a game and team worth checking out in my opinion.

• @tulukaruk said in Is this game using these Unity Asset Store assets and why?:

The whole Unity is a ready "asset" 😉 In old days they would have to code everything from the ground. No point in reinventing the wheel.

No, Unity is a game engine. Writing your own renderer alone takes a lot of time and it won't look as pretty as an industry-standard engine, so it makes sense to use one. On the other hand, when it comes to assets (the ones that will be in the release), you want a homogenous graphics style, which is kind of hard to achieve by gluing together cheap assets from unity store.

@Razvan said in Is this game using these Unity Asset Store assets and why?:

@tulukaruk said in Is this game using these Unity Asset Store assets and why?:

No, Unity is a game engine. Writing your own renderer alone takes a lot of time and it won't look as pretty as an industry-standard engine, so it makes sense to use one. On the other hand, when it comes to assets (the ones that will be in the release), you want a homogenous graphics style, which is kind of hard to achieve by gluing together cheap assets from unity store.

They are making there own monsters and spells, apart from the UI , and some animal mobs such as rabbits and deer (hardly need a unique rabbit).

The UI could always be updated later if its necessary (take black desert for example)
    I Personally think the ui looks fine atm and looks like it fits fractured

• @Xzoviac
    I know and I'm on the same page with you. I was addressing the fact that some ways of dismissing other people's concerns on this topic are not exactly healthy and can raise questions for the newcomers.

If game ends up:

1. fun to play (immersive, addictive, not grindy, not dull)
    2. smooth performance wise (both lag free and offering good FPS on mid range machines)
    3. balanced PvP and PvE wise, with lots of activities of both type to perform
    4. filled up with nice community of players

...then I personally don't care if graphical assets are from asset store or custom made. If they are custom made it's a bonus. If they aren't, and above 4 points are filled, I don't care. 🙂

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured