Stretch Goals

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I know i asked in Discord, but i wanted to post it here as well so that others who missed it can see it.
    Now that we have reached the taming goal, will there be any other stretch goals added to the list that we can work towards?
    Would adding more dungeon levels or maybe adding the ability to do player crafted dungeons that can be approved by the dev team and mixed into the world through the use of some crafting tool? Not sure if anyone else may have an idea, i am just tossing it out there 🙂

• Community Manager

@Tilaras This is what @Znirf had to say about it:

Hello! At the moment we don't have anything scheduled, we'll see how these Alpha tests go and then maybe we will add other goals.

i seen that on the discord, just wanted to make sure it was up here as well for anyone else wonder is all 🙂

I personally hope devs end up to add new stretch goals after A1/P2. They can break the pattern and raise the milestones from 10 000€ to something much more if needed. I have always seen stretch goals good way to get new people to pledge, but also to get current backers to invest more. Most important part is to invent very appealing goals, which people are really keen to achieve. Maybe we could make some goal suggestions to this thread even we are not sure are we going to see new goals or not.

Like in the couple other threads I'm still opposed to the idea, simply because feature creep is a real problem with software development. As soon as they have a solid firm grip on the minimal viable product, sure, but until then, there's a plethora of problems and stuff that could go wrong that is bound to delay the launch of the game enough without further stretch goals.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

While new stretch goals are indeed a good way to keep the money flowing, a proper Taming system will requires some really hard work to be implemented: different kind of animals, different stat, different abilities, different needs for each one (food, training time, etc.) and so on.

It something that probably will take lots of resources so I don't know how much "spare time" may be left for other big new things.

"What Is A Stretch Goal?
    A stretch goal is an additional goal you set for your campaign in case you exceed your initial funding goal, and is generally used to finance another specific aspect of your project. Note that stretch goals are not a feature that is built into the Indiegogo product. Rather these are optional ideas for you to implement and are a way for you to incentivize your backers toward helping you achieve your new goals.

What Are The Benefits?
    When your audience sees you've reached 100% of your initial funding goal, they may not see a compelling reason to contribute more. A concrete stretch goal is a great motivator to do just that — especially if it rallies around a specific purpose — and a hugely successful campaign might even have more than one! Stretch goals are especially helpful if your project has a high budget.

What Makes A Good Stretch Goal?

It's Reasonable
    Hitting a $10,000 goal on day one is great, but it doesn’t mean that a $50,000 stretch goal is reasonable. While there’s no rule of thumb, remember that you should be able to fund the main portion of your project with your initial goal. If your aim is to raise funds beyond twice the total of your initial goal, consider a series of stretch goals that breaks that total into smaller compelling steps. Similarly, you probably don’t want to promise a stretch goal that will double the amount of work you have to do to fulfill your perks or campaign objectives.

It's Concrete
    "We want more money" isn't a compelling reason to contribute. We recommend that you find another concrete goal for your project that justifies asking your funders for further support.

It Benefits Previous Contributors
    The best stretch goals mobilize your contributors by offering them something else they want. Skullgirls built and distributed new game levels – and because that extra content benefited all contributors, it motivated everyone to share the campaign or contribute a second time because they wanted the new levels for themselves."

Source: Building Stretch Goals

I understand the want for more features but I still think they should focus on the basics game figure out how to do all the things they already promised before adding more workload

@dj35 said in Stretch Goals:

I understand the want for more features but I still think they should focus on the basics game figure out how to do all the things they already promised before adding more workload

Stretch goals are not only about adding optional features. Idea is also to get help from backers to achieve goals that developers wants to be in the game.

"Rather these are optional ideas for you to implement and are a way for you to incentivize your backers toward helping you achieve your new goals."

So stretch goals aims for win-win situation if planned smart. That is why we should not worry about how the devs can handle the possible stretch goals. They will arrange a survey to value the need of more stretch goals, then they build a strategy and later more detailed plan if needed. They have enough data from previous stretch goals what they can use to evaluate the situation.

@Tuoni said in Stretch Goals:

(...)That is why we should not worry about how the devs can handle the possible stretch goals(...)

Chronicles of Elyria, Star Citizen, No Man's Sky,... there are many examples of projects where players definitely have to worry about the budget and scheduling of a game.

@Logain
    A stretch goal doesn't mean it has to be released at launch. it could be scheduled for the first expansion or dlc or content patch (whichever you wish to call it).

They could add in 5 Goals for 3 dungeon levels and 2 randomly generated levels. They could then release this after the game launches.

They could add goals for new races, new weapon types with x cosmetic options (which any backer would get when it's released). These could be released over 6 months after release of the game.

@Tilaras
    I played Neverwinter Online and they offered a way for players to build story content via developer tools. Only problem is people were releasing exp grinds where they'd place high exp mobs and you could AoE them down. It was a great feature but it was easily abused.

DS doesn't have the manpower to test or look over all the submissions.

@Logain said in Stretch Goals:

(...)That is why we should not worry about how the devs can handle the possible stretch goals(...)

Chronicles of Elyria, Star Citizen, No Man's Sky,... there are many examples of projects where players definitely have to worry about the budget and scheduling of a game.

And the reason for delays has been stretch goals?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

So far, the Fractured team has impressed me with their realistic and measured approach to goal implementation. I think that regardless of whether they add in stretch goals for release, or for things to look forward to eventually, they have a minimal risk of dipping into feature creep. Honestly, I would personally like small, achievable stretch goals, even cosmetic ones just for the simple pleasure of seeing the achievement bar creep forward and the milestone celebration - but that's just me!

@Syllah
    offering cosmetic options would be great for a few stretch goals.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Jetah Yes! I would very much support this.

I see two kinds of stretch content: scaling existing mechanics (adding new levels, mobs, dungeons, continents, etc.), and adding new mechanics (fishing, taming, etc.).

As a developer, I wouldn't mind seeing expansion of existing mechanics wait until after launch, but I think I'd want to see as many unique mechanics as possible in place and balanced before launch.

And the reason for delays has been stretch goals?

A mixture of feature creep, perfectionism and an absurd amount of confidence in a team.

The idea is quite simple, people are willing to spend x amount on a game (a little more if you can nickle and dime them into pay to win). If you can use that funding to develop the main product, you can 'ease out some bumps and roadblocks along the way' and thus have a better chance to deliver and within a reasonable time-frame.

Stretch goals were for the kickstarter lol. If there are funding problems at this point I'd suggest working more on the main content and getting it out there advertising it hard. Seeing a working polished game will spark interest. Nothing is worse than a game that hits setbacks and misses release goals or worse yet released with bugs. The hype starts to fade the longer it takes to release. New content can come in expansions 👍

@Logain With proper planning and gathered data from earlier stretch goals, and there won't be such a thing as feature creep. Implementing realistic goals which are really wanted/needed from developers behalf are the key here. Basic project management stuff.

@Farlander said in Stretch Goals:

Stretch goals were for the kickstarter lol.

Not only. A lot of stretch goals have achieved after Kickstarter Campaign and the last one about 10-11 months after that. Funding is still going on even KS has ended. Nothing denys developers to continue stretch goal policy if they consider that would be helpful and needed to reach important goals.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured