This game will be p2w?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

why do people ask this question in EVERY mmorpg forum? why dont you wait and see what they put in their cash shop, and if you dont like the things in the cs and you think those items make it p2w, then dont play...

@althalus
    why do people never use the search bar where questions have already been answered plenty of times?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@specter nice

@jetah I'm going to be nice and not answer that... πŸ˜‡

• Wiki Editor

@althalus because you are a Diplomat! ☝

Truthfully, any level of advance no matter how "minor" is still "Pay to...."

It may not be straight up pay to win, but it is certainly "Pay to have a tangible advantage"

Pure cosmetics cash shop = golden
    Anything other than cosmetics = you've entered into the realm of P2W.

Once you have to start defending how P2W it is, and the argument goes to "its not that much pay to win"

Its Pay to Win.

Well, a Pay2Win where you can gain a small advantage, which will be reduced to zero later on I personally donΒ΄t mind.

• Wiki Editor

@jahlon in general you are right, buuut it is a huge difference to implement a subscription system, that gives a bit advantage, to the real pay2win cash crabs.

Fractured will be in it's sense a pay to play game, because you pay once and you can reach all content without paying anything else.
    But for reason we get an MMO and there is the need of earning money by the studio to hold the servers running, there need to be something for that the people are willing to pay. So small advantages for buyer that are not gamebreaking for non buyer is not a classical pay to win.

Games thats classified as pay2win games are such, where the advantage you can buy with real money is really neccessary to win the game. Or even gives real money based content thats just available for buyer.
    Per example the extra Bagslots at POE are a real pay2win, because, you can't get it without paying and the extra inventory slots are quite neccessary for making ingame money.

Let's look to Fractured:
    So, not the small advantage of VIP at Fractured will be pay2win, because it is promised by Devs, that this advantage is so small, that it does not matter at all, because someone who don't have it, still has the possibility to reach same in not so much more time.
    The real Pay2Win for Fractured could be at least the extra Character Slots that you just can buy at shop and that are not obtainable ingame.

But c'mon, to specify this as a pay2win game for this reason is silly as hell.
    It is not fair to place games that have this small advantages at same level as greedy cash crab games.

A Developing Studio don't develope a game just for fun and just because they are nice and want to give us something for a small amount of money. They are not samaritians.
    They are bussinessmen, who want to get a reward out of their hard work.
    And they need money for running the servers, giving us ungoing updates and have something to live in, to eat, a t-shirt and a water glass πŸ˜‰

Problem with answering that is that P2W can have a different meaning to everyone.

Someone thinks P2W is only when you can outright buy gear in cash shop, the gear you can only get there and not in game.
    Someone thinks P2W is when you can buy any gear in cash shop.
    Someone thinks P2W is when you can buy any kind of boost in cash shop that affects combat.
    Someone thinks P2W is when you can buy any boost in cash shop, even the progression speed boost.
    Someone thinks P2W is when cash shop even exists, regardless of what is inside it.

Of course, you can use statistics, and answer based on what (you assume) majority of players consider a pay to win, but then you would have to write this post a lot more precisely, and specify that you answer with that assumption, rather then just answering "yes it is" or "no it isn't". πŸ˜‰

So the best answer you can write in thread of this type is write what will game have, and then let people decide for themselves if they consider a game P2W or no.

For example:

Fractured MMO will have a cash shop that sells cosmetics and possibly some convenience (we don't exactly know what exact items will be available) and there will be optional subscription that will let you progress a bit faster with learning new skills, and offering some extra convenience.

However since players will have no levels, and there will be limited slots on your skill bar, progression speed, as such, only offers a minor advantage, where people with subscription can reach higher ranks of skills a bit quicker, but every player will eventually reach maximum ranks, even without subscription.

There, you can decide for yourself if this is P2W for you or not. πŸ˜‰

Also consider that you can play this game for free forever (by only paying 30 eur, one time, on start, or less if you were a part of kick starter).

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Wouldn't you consider the VIP in Fractured Pay for Convenience instead of P2W? I wouldn't consider anything offered in VIP P2W.

• Discounts on Store items
    • Unique cosmetic rewards for accumulated VIP time
    • Other vanity rewards we might think of in the future
    • Additional study slots(Can study more spells at a time. This offers no tactical advantage in PVP)
    • Increased Knowledge Point gains(Fractured characters are already competitive from day 1 so this doesn't matter)

I don't see anything here that is P2W, Fractured VIP, from what I see, is P4C (Pay for Convenience) .

• Wiki Editor

@gothix said in This game will be p2w?:

Someone thinks P2W is when cash shop even exists, regardless of what is inside it.

Thats one of the most important points. People tend to cry "Mehhh it's pay2win!!11eleven!" if there is just something for real money, even they never tried to think just a second about what they say.
    Whole problem are the real cash crabs who sacrified the whole gaming market in the last 20 years. Combined with all the people who want "Free to play", because they think games are made for their fun and every money Developer/Publisher take is too much.

It is almost like if you go to the supermarket, take an exclusive pizza out of the refrigator and cry at the checkout, because they want money and want even more money, because it is exclusive.

@crowdac said in This game will be p2w?:

I don't see anything here that is P2W, Fractured VIP, from what I see, is P4C (Pay for Convenience).

It would be P2W if R3 spells were same as R1 versions but offered more fire power and lesser cool downs.
    But devs said they are making R1, R2 and R3 as different spells, and not more powerful spells, so this is a good thing. πŸ™‚

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@gothix said in This game will be p2w?:

@crowdac said in This game will be p2w?:

I don't see anything here that is P2W, Fractured VIP, from what I see, is P4C (Pay for Convenience).

It would be P2W if R3 spells were same as R1 versions but offered more fire power and lesser cool downs.
    But devs said they are making R1, R2 and R3 as different spells, and not more powerful spells, so this is a good thing. πŸ™‚

Indeed. It doesn't really offer any kind of tangible advantage over a player without it. In theory at least, it'll just be providing a shortcut to alternatives for those of whom do not wish to take as long getting there. At least that's my perception of how they've explained it so far.

Super reasonable compared to most games with premium. Most these days seem to opt for something you are borderline forced to have or else you aren't going to be having fun. You'll instead spend your time trying to work around an endless sea of intentional roadblocks. So I can see why people are apprehensive of Fractured's monetization. Though nothing I've seen so far has raised any alarm bells for me.

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured