Suggestion: Disable ability for fresh accounts to post

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@jarek I don't see the point of awarding or removing points for flagging. If ever it should be done for the sake of keeping a good engaging community.

• Wiki Editor

I think we are fine if we get a captcha for the first day for posting and this spamfilter that Jacopo was implementing yesterday.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

@jarek That may create a perverse incentive among particularly point-hungry individuals. If only for guaranteeing the health of the community, I'd argue more conventional anti-spam methods should be used.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Well I was only suggesting it as a better alternative to essentially banning new people for three days! And having read the previous posts there seemed some worry that the mods might be overwhelmed. But I agree conventional moderation would be preferable. Having said that I am sure that point hungry peeps who tried to work such a system would soon become obvious using some simple analytics.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Banning new accounts from speaking temporarily will do precisely nothing to combat spam, except for the first three days after implementation.

After that, the three-day old spam accounts will start spamming. When you ban them, they will switch to one of the other accounts also created three days ago. In the event that spam is a major concern to begin with - which means it is being automated with bots - every minute a few hundred spam accounts will become three days old and be usable for spam.

@FibS that's why I also suggested their posts not be visible until approved by moderators (full chat ban wouldn't even need to exist at all).

So instantly after an account is made, they get to post (spam) but no other user (besides mod) sees such spam cus their posts are invisible to other players by default. Moderator comes and if post is ok, he makes it visible to other players, and if he sees spam bot, he bans the account without his post ever becoming visible to normal players.

Once account matures and moderator sees he made enough posts like a normal human and over appropriate amount of time, he can mark account as verified, and he can now post with his posts instantly becoming visible without moderator action.

This would make things much harder for spam bots, because each account would require a whole week of normal active human usage before it could be turned into bot account (practically no one from spammers would bother with that).

Big minus is that this would require a lot more moderator work, so that's why we all hope this new measures that were installed recently will work nicely. So far they do. 🙂

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Nothing's worse then restrictions that are more annoying for legit users then for spammers.

Best way to deal with spam as I see it is having a bot check in account creation and also having a rule where you need to have made X (usually 10) amount of replies in forum threads, before you can create a thread for yourself.

• Wiki Editor

@evolgrinz said in Suggestion: Disable ability for fresh accounts to post:

Best way to deal with spam as I see it is having a bot check in account creation and also having a rule where you need to have made X (usually 10) amount of replies in forum threads, before you can create a thread for yourself.

Not really useful, because then we are back at this "post 10 replies-Foundation Quest"-Time, when we got useless "spam" by new people, because they wanted their Quest done.
    We still have "Create a topic"-Quest, so people would just spam randomly 10 posts to get this quest done.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@gothix said in Suggestion: Disable ability for fresh accounts to post:

@FibS that's why I also suggested their posts not be visible until approved by moderators (full chat ban wouldn't even need to exist at all).

So instantly after an account is made, they get to post (spam) but no other user (besides mod) sees such spam cus their posts are invisible to other players by default. Moderator comes and if post is ok, he makes it visible to other players, and if he sees spam bot, he bans the account without his post ever becoming visible to normal players.

Once account matures and moderator sees he made enough posts like a normal human and over appropriate amount of time, he can mark account as verified, and he can now post with his posts instantly becoming visible without moderator action.

This would make things much harder for spam bots, because each account would require a whole week of normal active human usage before it could be turned into bot account (practically no one from spammers would bother with that).

Big minus is that this would require a lot more moderator work, so that's why we all hope this new measures that were installed recently will work nicely. So far they do. 🙂

As I understand it, @Specter is the only moderator on the forums (or at least the only very active one), and he's a volunteer which means he probably has another job and other life things to worry about.

There's just no way he'd be able to keep up with this added duty. We would need more moderators. I think the existing system of reporting spam posts or flagging spam bot profiles is sufficient, alongside whatever other system Fractured is employing.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured