Why MMO if you like to Solo?

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

I prefer playing solo in MMORPGs because of other solo players.
    Sounds paradox? Not for me.

I do not need guild wars nor competitions who achieved level X first nor the need to keep grinding to compete with others in PvP.

In MMORPGs I need players thinking the same way as I do and these usually are solo players.
    Of course, you could also play a NPC driven world (like Skyrim or Witcher) but having real (un)trustful solo players around you makes the world much more alive to me and much more interesting.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@alcriblp said in Why MMO if you like to Solo?:

Many players (like me^^) like also to play more single, because they are pushed in some groups to hurry up, move and fight faster and grow their level faster. I like groupwork, but I also want to enjoy MMOs in my speed and not in the speed of the fastest member of groups, except if there are important tasks

That 100% accurate in my case too.
    In addition:

• I like to have a feeling that I can make-do / survive on my own, not to have to relay on others in that matter. That I have earned what I have (in game) by myself and not piggy-backing on someone elses skill and prowress.
    • Sometimes I've just got limited time to play and before the group manages to organize itself around, I have to go
    • Sometimes I have to end the game in an instant and I wouldn't want to leave a team hanging or to be wiped out

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Well I love how real other people make a game. Less robotic, but sometimes like to be able to to do my own thing and group on my terms. So instead of forced grouping it's by choice. Plus time restrictions play into wanting to solo play as well.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

game-play wice im 50/50 on solo group , but he main allure for me is that there are always peeps to talk to and things going on in an mmo

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Honestly, for me a lot of it that I don't hate cooperation. Making friends and adventuring with them, or even banding together to form a guild is really fun. What I don't like is PvP. I enjoy more casual gaming; not the intense and sometimes toxic grounds that form around PvP matches. Furthermore, many MMOs have storylines/campaigns that, while you can bring your friends with you, are "solo". A lot of those are fun and well made. MMO is geared towards "cooperative OR competitive" rather than just "competitive" like many other multiplayer games.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@vezin said in Why MMO if you like to Solo?:

I enjoy playing with people, but I hate talking to them.

I'm weird.

I’m the same way don’t worry.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@sparky im antisocial too but mmo without social is not true mmo , thats why BDO private server not p2w is failed because at the game core its anti-social compare to old school mmo , also you have to play with people from time to time in mmo to get good items so you have to be social in one way or another

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@vezin said in Why MMO if you like to Solo?:

I enjoy playing with people, but I hate talking to them.

I'm weird.

i really love talk to them but i stopped because majority of them is stupid people sadly , even in discord just teenager fill the chat with emotes and useless shit and when you ask serious question they start troll or in game chat , so i start PM people instead i get info he start hate me for many questions then i block him and then i ask guy to get info about the game and avoid learning curve so easy by doing so

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

for me i stopped being social in guild because simply people will treat you like slave and you have to follow orders , so if game force you to group up and being slave then there is issue , BUT i am social person with very small group so and i believe mmo without social worth nothing , otherwise i would already playing moba and overwatch/fornite , singleplayer games instead

• Wiki Editor

I like to play in socialized and hand picked groups.
    Some times i like to play alone, when im exploring, because i want to go my own speed and don‘t want to wait for others or sprint to reach someone else.

But i think an MMO is more than just being social.
    Every interaction with other players in an MMO is something social, and if it is just being unsocial to each other.

There is nothing wrong to be a lone wolf in an MMO, as long the lone wolf knows, that an MMO is made for player interactions and not complaining about interactions.
    For me fits an lone wolf same into an MMO as the Mother of a gamerfamily, a godfather of a secret society or the warlord of a cruel PVP gang.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I would rather run a guild of like 6-12 players, each with their own specialties. But I have solo'd most of the other MMO's I've played. I find that going solo allows you to find and do things 'secretly' and not share the loot obtained. Guilds tend to implode quite often because of the political nature and disagreements that many of the members have with the Leadership. Joining a group of in-game friends is much more enjoyable than guilding up, albeit with less benefits, but I do it to avoid the BS. Solo adventurers can have a lot more fun because you don't have to get into the middle of making anyone else happy. Some groups will have one or two players who like to Zerg or will kick you before looting and it just ruins your gaming experience.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Quite an easy answer. I prefer play solo, but there is only so much single player games (that i like that is) and when you complete the game and waiting for some new release, mmo is a perfect place for doing so.

@evolgrinz said in Why MMO if you like to Solo?:

I don't want to solo. I just don't have any friends to play with so I am forced to play alone.

I appreciate your honesty.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

@vezin Inside the game community be weird is so normal.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

i'm a buddy player. I play together with my buddy. (i'm not playing with my buddy. just saying)
    I do like group efforts, but I don't like the forced must do 4 people things. I don't know 4 people. I do certainly not have 12 friends or more. so I would need to join a guild/org/group/corp/clan etc.
    since I am not competitive I am always uninteresting for the group.
    the exception was eve-online a few years back. there I had a few months of utmost pleasure of running in a team with very good leadership. and as former military / veteran I know when leadership is worth (ingame) dying for. I certainly would have those times back. (even though I suck at pvp)

I also have to mention my short period in a german team in R.O.S.E Online (does that game still exist?). They where the best teammates ever. never giving up. kudos.

However, after all these years... I still do play all things with my buddy. (or solo, but it gets boring rather quickly). My buddy will ofcourse also join this game. He rarely wants to be in the lead. he just wants to play 🙂

@dulu bruh you have made my day and i know for fact you are a demon

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I play MMOs solo for

reasons:

Reason #1: Shitty Schedule, Tumultuous Time

For all of my life, my schedule for playing video games has been unpredictable, prone to shifts and interruptions. I didn't know when I could play, or how much time I would have.

For obvious reasons, this makes it quite difficult to synchronize with other players, which you need to do if you want to regularly play non-solo.

Reason #2: the Piñata in the room

I hop around MMOs a lot, because I literally - and I mean it - can't enjoy MMOs where mobs feel too artificial. I've played 26 MMOs so far, and only 3 feel right.

However, out of the three:

I don't have really all that high hopes for Fractured, since I have some upcoming alternatives, but it looks promising.

Reason #3: MMOs are for meeting nice people

In virtually all types of multiplayer games, other players are either sworn allies you're chained to, or sworn enemies you have to fight. In open world MMOs, however, other players are strangers and passerbys, and your relationship with them is entirely up to you to decide.

That is the most important feature that draws me to MMOs, and it's completely not affected whether I'm playing solo or not. Just a bit of kindness can make someone's day. (Gods, I miss Firefall's beta; doing drive-by healing, saving people's thumpers, reinforcing them in the last minute and pushing an event from near loss into a clear victory...)

And you can actually meet people there, too, since they are not bound by whatever goal of the match they're chasing. There is nobody to shout at them for getting distracted from doing their in-game job, or shoot at them for sweet, sweet KDR.

Reson #4: I have no social circle

Apparently there are a lot of people who drag parts of their social circle - their friends, acquaintances, colleagues, work buddies, barbers, dog groomers, frenemies, husbands, wives, secret lovers, overt lovers, "it's complicated" paramours, vicars, and fellow FLGS attendants - into multiplayer games they play.

Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I don't have a social circle. If not for my family, where noone else is interested in video games, I'd be alone as a dog.

So whenever I hear some insensitive self-appointed MMO gatekeeper say "hurr durr em-em-ohs are social games you shouldn't play them without a group and the devs should stop catering for carebear casuls like you", I get pretty salty. (Especially since, as I pointed out in Reason #3, MMOs are one of the few games where you can actually meet people.)

@Gamble - I hope you feel sufficiently smothered with reasons, mhm? 😉

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

I can explain it from my perspective. I better play solo, cause it's hard to make people play as efficient as i can. But why MMO then? Because in MMO everyone can see my progress and how good I am :3

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@dragomok said in Why MMO if you like to Solo?:

I play MMOs solo for

Reson #4: I have no social circle

Apparently there are a lot of people who drag parts of their social circle - their friends, acquaintances, colleagues, work buddies, barbers, dog groomers, frenemies, husbands, wives, secret lovers, overt lovers, "it's complicated" paramours, vicars, and fellow FLGS attendants - into multiplayer games they play.

Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I don't have a social circle. If not for my family, where noone else is interested in video games, I'd be alone as a dog.

So whenever I hear some insensitive self-appointed MMO gatekeeper say "hurr durr em-em-ohs are social games you shouldn't play them without a group and the devs should stop catering for carebear casuls like you", I get pretty salty. (Especially since, as I pointed out in Reason #3, MMOs are one of the few games where you can actually meet people.)

@Gamble - I hope you feel sufficiently smothered with reasons, mhm? 😉

I have a social circle (two players of course are not a circle.), but somehow never in a game that I am playing. I still don't get why people get upset if a solo player is gaming in an mmo. (other mmo-not-solo users are so much social. yeah right. mostly -as far as all the games I have played mmo-teams end up in solo players showing off and a bunch of mindless repeaters that want to shout their opinion. why I have an opinion? as a former military I know there is no 'i' or 'me' in 'team'. ) and to form a team you need players that are not part of a team. and if mmo players would be more social there would be less solo players.
    so I like the #3 as well.. mmo to meet other players.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured