Necromancy skills

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Pet builds are okay, but in a game where everyone has to be balanced it just means you, yourself, are weak. There are times where the advantage is worth that, and that actually is stronger with multiple weak pets... but the resultant issues such as lag and load may not be worthwhile. Especially if multiple users flood an area with them, and extra-especially if there are collision masks to consider.

Pets and the like are a solid idea for world design, but making them balanced is the entire problem. The whole cool factor outside MMOs works, the pet does not mystically make the human weaker than other humans, but within MMOs... I think it is that outside idea that people really crave, and thus it is always disappointing. Maybe I am just self-projecting though.

In short, I believe that for necromancy to really work like this and be what people are picturing everyone would have to have such pets in some manner, which negates the entire purpose of a pet build.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Charisma is the skill that determines how many 'creatures and companions' you can control at once. That might extend to raised dead, although necromancy isn't listed as a charisma based school, mainly intelligence based, so I dunno

I wouldn't be surprised if the limit is based on your charisma, but at the same time, how charismatic do you have to be to tell something with no free will what to do? It might just be based on your intelligence or maybe on perks you learn in the necromancy tree

Edit: It is charisma/int based, I must have looked at the wrong skill

• TF#10 - CONSUL

As I said necromancy will require a body to re-animate. So multiple necromancers won't necessary work well as they will be fighting for dead corpses 😉

• Wiki Editor

@squidbit said in Necromancy skills:

Charisma is the skill that determines how many 'creatures and companions' you can control at once. That might extend to raised dead, although necromancy isn't listed as a charisma based school, mainly intelligence based, so I dunno

I wouldn't be surprised if the limit is based on your charisma, but at the same time, how charismatic do you have to be to tell something with no free will what to do? It might just be based on your intelligence or maybe on perks you learn in the necromancy tree

Necromancy is an INT + CHA based school

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@tulukaruk

Which is really how it should be

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@kellewic said in Necromancy skills:

@squidbit said in Necromancy skills:

Necromancy is an INT + CHA based school

^_^

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@kairosval Now I want my undead band. I'm trying to decide if we are going to be Deth Metal, or mariachi.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@tulukaruk said in Necromancy skills:

As I said necromancy will require a body to re-animate. So multiple necromancers won't necessary work well as they will be fighting for dead corpses

That is not necessarily true since anything that dies from that group of necromancers can be turned to yet another undead. The more (or longer) they fight, the bigger their army can get.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@kellewic said in Necromancy skills:

@dybuk conjuration as well - summon items and creatures from faraway locations – or even parallel dimensions! – to be used to its own advantage.

I wonder if combining Necromancy + Restoration + Conjuration will allow you to have more of thralls 🙂

@dybuk why restoration? i assume healing spells damage undeads

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@codetsilon

In Feature #4: Skill Galore it was mentioned that Restoration allows to bring in-animate objects to life:

"or even infuse it into constructs and other inanimate objects – without the corruption created by Necromantic spells."

I'm not sure if your own Restoration magic will harm your own Necrotic thralls, but if so, you would only have to be more carefull which spells you cast on which creature.

Well, the spotlight only says that "most abilities of this school uses ______" so some abilities may use slightly different stats for sub-sections of the school. Like an odd duck just randomly using Constitution instead of Intelligence.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@fibs I think if Necromancers can keep the undead raised and have UNLIMITED amount of minions it would be pretty interesting to make them like bosses and such in the game...however to have so many minions the requirements have/should be met I would assume....such as have a corpse for each minion you raise...that already limits the amount of the minions the necromancer can have. But I love other spells especially with the terrain corruption! Sounds dope and cool lol. Hope to honestly find such spells in the game. Makes me wonder if I will be able to use arcane arts and the death magic.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Few things to make necromancers really cool and not simply a zerg:

Unlimited Undead summon possible but need to require corpses, and will have time limits.

Desecrated ground shall negate said time limit, but have its own time limit.

A multitude of support skills for undead, aka. cadaver explosion, undead rage, life siphon (to caster via killing of own undead), buff undead with DoTs' aka make them plague carriers, and so on (i could literally keep going for half an hour here)

As for a more fun, less diablo esque undead combat, which thrutfully sucks as your stuck to watching your minions slaughter everyone with little to do yourself except spam curses/ more summns, be able to have undead array in formation and only target selected "areas"/ targets so as to actually have any gameplay as necromancer which would also increase their defensive capabilities and make them less swarmy overall

curses to bring enemies down in strenght so as to not make strong undead a necessity, but make them relevant nonetheless simply by making everybody else just as irrelevant

All of this would make necromancer hordes rather tricky to pull off but a possibility and a fun one at that which would require a multitude of tactics and coordination to pull off and not have them simply point at an area which to obliterate.

Not to forget there are like a thousand spell possibilites that have nothing to do with undead minions. Hope there are cool original spells among the necromancy school and please, for gods sake, have everything be skill shots, nothing i despice more than sure-hit spells

Thou seeing how the necromancy introduction video has the caster raise 3 skeletons from nothing alrdy dispenses lots of these ideas.

• @Jenaut Posting in this thread was quite a feat of necromancy 😉

I'm fine necromancers having giant undead hordes, and it's actually something this game is uniquely positioned to take advantage of because of SpatialOS. I would just want there to be counters to that playstyle, like an AoE skill that gets stronger the more enemies it hits, or piercing arrows that allow you to shoot the necromancer through his horde, etc.

I think it would also be cool if this game had dota-like RTS controls that allowed you to control other units directly and assign control groups, so you could micro other units individually or as a group. It would open up a lot of potential for necromancers, summoners, illusionists or anything else that could take advantage of multiple units and allow some really high skill play. It's a super unrealistic suggestion, but it's fun to imagine.

• Wiki Editor

@Target counters, especially from the Restoration school, would definitely make sense; not to mention the Lich character, being undead, would be susceptible to the same.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

Another interesting mechanic to have would be in order to summon stronger permanent minions, you would have to kill an npc and raise them up again. This would cause you to have the murderer tag, which would make the consequences more interesting.

Granted, this would make it hard to be a good necromancer.

• Wiki Editor

@wolfkomodo46 said in Necromancy skills:

Another interesting mechanic to have would be in order to summon stronger permanent minions, you would have to kill an npc and raise them up again. This would cause you to have the murderer tag, which would make the consequences more interesting.

Granted, this would make it hard to be a good necromancer.

Not if the NPC was evil 🙂

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured