Bummer for me: "Hello Governor! A few city-claiming tips for you..."

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

Hello Dordolio here
    Well... thats a bummer... last mail "Hello Governor! A few city-claiming tips for you" has some notes that made me less exited.

"Also, please notice that if you don't reach the MINIMUM number of citizen required by your city territory before the launch of Alpha 2 - Test 3, it will NOT be set as CLAIMED. The minimum is 5 citizens for small plots and 15 for large plots."

not hard. i always have all my friends join all my games. then i only need 4 more... that is why i leave games. the locations you can only do with 4 people or 6 or 12, 25 people mandatory raids and mandatory fun 15 people things. will have to see where this leads.

"After this test we're going to improve the World Map page to allow multiple governors to compete for the same spot. For now, however, we'd like to ask you to please move to a small city if you've claimed a large one but aren't planning to reach 15 citizens soon. There's no competitive side yet, hence no good reason to prevent other large groups from claiming a large city!"

compete? why? i did buy a governor package to have fun with a city. not to compete with others.. but maybe i did not read the fine print. we will see.

for me this is the message in a nutshell:
    i am a governor of nothing unless i find other players.
    i am NOT competitive at all. so... competitive side? why is there a competitive side?
    sigh... i just want to fiddle with a city. i don't need / want to "win, conquer or whatever"
    ah well.... the game is probably aiming for other kind of players.

Dordolio sings a sad song...

• Wiki Editor

@Dordolio
    It has been clearly stated several times that purchasing governor+ pack only gives you option to found a city before start if you fulfill claim requirements as normal player would have to otherwise it would be pay to win.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@GorTavaro said in Bummer for me: "Hello Governor! A few city-claiming tips for you...":

@Dordolio
    It has been clearly stated several times that purchasing governor+ pack only gives you option to found a city before start if you fulfill claim requirements as normal player would have to otherwise it would be pay to win.

Essentially this.
    It just means that you'd have to build that city in the 'normal' means, but whats a city with a population of 1?

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

I understand the fear of Pay to Win. I don't 'win' by having a city. i have to manage it. NPC normally should not want to go to war. so there is no my city NPC war versus your city NPC war. ergo: no pay to win.

For me a location (be it 1 or 100 players) is on its own no city. There need to be lots of NPC. (otherwise there are less people in one city then i have in my street. so. 1... or 100... should not matter.

What should matter is the fact that there is a city filled with NPC and hopefully players want to join because i manage my npc well to do profitable trade trade and such. Or did you think a siege against another city will work with all 15 players? i wonder how that would go.

and i don't mind that i only help development with a governor pack. If i can't manage a city i will gladly join someone elses, donate my $$ and venture forth.

@Dordolio

Don't forget that you get some exclusive cosmetic out of it, so even if you can't have the 'city' that you wanted, at least you get to walk around looking like a governor 😛

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@Zori ahhh. now i am satisfied. having a chuckle here. reminds me: i have an open spot in my town for you.... may i suggest a 'Jester' ? i'll provide you with a room and all.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

UPDATE: although i stand by my points made here in this thread, i am also (very) happy to see that i actually may welcome some people who already joined up in my town.
    i didn't expect that, but i am very pleased with it.

@Dordolio said in Bummer for me: "Hello Governor! A few city-claiming tips for you...":

i am a governor of nothing unless i find other players

Of course - and what's so strange about that?

You can't rule without support, not now, not later in game. If you don't have support you will just get de-throned and another governor will be elected. Or your city will get attacked, and without support in defense, you will easily lose it.

Did you just assume you buy governor pack, and you are governor for life without any support? Forget NPCs, this is not a single player game mate. 🙄

You need to activate yourself, find friends / citizens, and with their help and support, lead.

These are just hard facts, a little realism, that will hopefully shake you up, and put you on the right path. 🙂 Consider this as a practice for the real game later on, because that is exactly what this is.

• Content Creator

@Dordolio said in Bummer for me: "Hello Governor! A few city-claiming tips for you...":

"After this test we're going to improve the World Map page to allow multiple governors to compete for the same spot. For now, however, we'd like to ask you to please move to a small city if you've claimed a large one but aren't planning to reach 15 citizens soon. There's no competitive side yet, hence no good reason to prevent other large groups from claiming a large city!"
    compete? why? i did buy a governor package to have fun with a city. not to compete with others.. but maybe i did not read the fine print. we will see.

I can understand your position if you truly feel you were misled. I can say for certain that they did state that you have to meet the requirements that other players have to meet to avoid pay to win

Lets assume you understand that at this point but are not happy with the competing aspect of cities still. Land is not instanced in this game, meaning that there are limited available positions. If we do find that EVERY city spot is claimed but you still want one for yourself or your guild then we need a "competing" aspect there to allow for you to "oust" someone from their claimed city and take it.

Without a way to compete you may find that city spots are taken for months on end until the owner quits or leaves the city. That wouldn't be fun in my opinion. Additionally we lose an awesome PvP feature if we remove the competing aspect. Sieges baby! Can't wait for them!

• DymStudios - CEO

Hi @Dordolio! Let me explain to you why things work this way in Fractured 🙂 (which is not only about avoiding the P2W mentioned by @GorTavaro and @Zori).

You have to forget the idea of a classic MMO city that is populated by NPCs, where at most the NPC shops can be owned by players (like in Albion Online).

In Fractured, cities are the places where players actually live. The land claims in the wilderness you've seen so far are going to be used only by those who really want to live by themselves, we expect most players to claim a private land parcel in a city and build their home in it.

NPCs in cities will exist, but their role will be limited - most of the work will be carried out by players... and you really can't be in a city without players, since to rank it up and unlock new technologies you need both prestige and citizens. The highest rank for a city (30) requires 100 citizens, specifically.

Also, I see you've decided to stick to a large territory, which requires 15 players to be started. If that looks like a high number, it's because you haven't grasped how large a large city is - if you didn't have to make roads, you could stick 300+ buildings in it! Since you have to build roads it's probably half that, but you get the idea. Once the game is well populated, we expect 100-200 players to live in a large city and 25-50 to live in a small one 😉

Hope that made it clearer! 🙂

@Nekrage

This as well.
    While city sieges may happen due to strategic spots, it's highly unlikely at this point for it to happen due to 'running out of space', as a matter of fact we're having the opposite problem right now as there are still low number of players.

In the future however, city sieges are most likely to happen out of...

1. Strategic spots.
    2. Competing guilds.
    3. For the sake of conquering - Which wouldn't work so well in Syndesia, Tartaros maybe.

As of this moment though, there is absolutely no point for people to purchase a governor pack (or beyond) if they're not running a guild or a community. Sure it helps the developers with funding, but for you on the receiving end, it's not necessary. This is also what @Prometheus has mentioned several times, even if you email them about purchasing an Aristocrat pack - "Keep in mind that you don't need a governor pack to start your own city."

I was keen on buying one myself until I realised that this pack isn't necessary for a relatively solo-player like myself, i'm much better off joining a guild instead.

There are plenty of land slots available for players outside of cities that can even stand as their own semi-formal community, however they still need the benefit of a city as it can provide NPCs and other services that are only available in such said settlements.

So, with that being said for you who bought a governor pack, you still have the access to all of the governor perks, you can still establish your own city/settlement at launch but you would have to wait until more players join your city to make proper progress in it.

While that is happening though, other cities will/can experience the game much better than you would so it would be much preferable for you to join one instead and perhaps one day build your own city, i'm certain that there would be lots more 'stragglers' who just joined the game at that point in time.

I would also strongly suggest to watch the Q&As available on the website, some of them are probably outdated as some things had to change overtime but it will still give you a good foundational basis of understanding with the mechanics of the game.

So in other words, and for those who will run into this discussion:

Governor/Aristocrat pack would only benefit you as a person if you have a guild/community ready to go, if not then it won't really be much of a use for you.
    and given with what @Prometheus has said about the size of large cities, it looks like the entire population could easily fit in one city right now, and most cities being built aren't even enough for a small city.

• DymStudios - CEO

@Zori said in Bummer for me: "Hello Governor! A few city-claiming tips for you...":

given with what @Prometheus has said about the size of large cities, it looks like the entire population could easily fit in one city right now

Well well well, there are actually about 1,500 players with Alpha 2 access, let's not exaggerate 😛

@Prometheus said in Bummer for me: "Hello Governor! A few city-claiming tips for you...":

@Zori said in Bummer for me: "Hello Governor! A few city-claiming tips for you...":

given with what @Prometheus has said about the size of large cities, it looks like the entire population could easily fit in one city right now

Well well well, there are actually about 1,500 players with Alpha 2 access, let's not exaggerate 😛

Well these idiots lovely folks better start waking up and begin signing up for cities haha

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@Prometheus Thanks for the heads up. As for city selection, of course i go for the biggest. 🙂 i am a human after all, and from holland.
    So, some reply is needed as i also raised the post 🙂

Ok. i'm going to 'forget' the classic MMO idea.
    As for the decision to 'stick' with it... i was on the move to remove myself from the city (as there is no guild to back me up - i guess i used 'them' up after three failed games) only to notice that i actually had 12 members. (heroes!) So not going to abandon them. I'll prefer to make some noise and attract some more.

@Nekrage I understand that PvP is integral part of the game. no problem with that. In light of what Prometheus said i can understand the mechanics. If and how they work out (as being fun and such) i have to wait and see. I'll ponder over the game mechanics as we progress in alpha and such...

@Zori I am not focused on the governor pack. I took it because i can. I knew there would be some form of PvP and i knew also i can loose towns, benefit etc.) not a problem. i gave my $2k pledge away to someone with more hope/confidence and patience in CoE when it was clear to me it would technical be impossible.)

as for my thoughts: Prometheus is way more communicative and clear in his goals and ideas, there is actually game to be played and i still hear the right things. Way more realistic then CoE ever was. So no reason for me to drop out. That said, I still hope my fellow Viking players from CoE will read this and join up. **so if you read this, fellow Viking: King Ulfberth has reincarnated and demands your presence. stop loitering, bickering and sobbing... **

@Dordolio

well, no one's really questioning anyones financial capabilities here.
    the discussion was mostly about whether a certain pack would be useful for people or not.

Hopefully you find it useful, the cosmetics and the other benefits are there i suppose.

• Community Manager

@Dordolio If you want to avoid the PvP aspect of town management you can always claim a spot on Arboreus. 😉

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

oops edit: did save msg too soon 🦆

@Specter you are right of course. But i wonder if there would be fun things. If i want followers i surely should not go the safest way. (unless they all agree)

@Zori its the P2W (not there! - never said that either, but good it isnt there!!) vs money invested vs fun to have.. Cosmetics... dunno. and other benefits.... depends. we will see. 🙂

@Prometheus said in Bummer for me: "Hello Governor! A few city-claiming tips for you...":

The land claims in the wilderness you've seen so far are going to be used only by those who really want to live by themselves, we expect most players to claim a private land parcel in a city and build their home in it.

Hmm. Based on what I saw in Wurm Online, I wonder if the opposite will be true. There, a player-run city was basically a place for new players to get started.

Once they were on their feet, however, they usually struck out on their own to build their own place.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@Roccandil i'm normally one of those people. No reason to stick to a specific location where (games have lag) nothing special to stay. I am sceptical, ask questions, and question game mechanics and assumptions (made by devs). I am curious to what actually the game turns out to be. 🙂 As long as devs answer my questions and give me an idea of what they want to do... They might surprise me.
    Even if the game ends up not bieng fun for me, then i am not the one to say what it is. I might have my thoughts about game mechanics and why i think they are good or bad. I always hope that the game is fun for the intended audience. (with or without me)

Cities will provide safety from thieves and murderers, unlike "a place of their own" that players may build in the wilderness.

Each option has its own advantages and disadvantages of course. Advantages of living in a city are safety from attacks and theft, proximity of other people with various professions that you may not have, proximity to marketplace, richer social life,... and you may still venture on a journey to the wilderness when you want to harvest own resources, or collect knowledge.

Advantages of living in the wilderness are proximity to resource spots for harvesting, shorter travel times from harvesting spots back to your home where you can deposit them or convert them to other materials using your workbenches, the thrill of living in a wilderness itself, not depending on city politics that may ask the taxation of you, or evict you from your home.

There will be many people roaming around, so cities will never be empty. On the contrary, cities will be hotspots for market and services that people will offer.

Various people will chose various living options, but bare in mind, that even if you chose living in wilderness, you still do not have to live alone. 😉

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured