GO F2P LEARN FROM OTHER

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

Opinions are like Aholes. We all have them some better then others. You can play something else if you don't like it. Why is it people feel the need to always make their opinion a fact lol. I guess the same people that play a game on steam for 5 mins and write a 5 page negative review. AWESOME ! lol

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Superman0X sharing that he's a pro gamer who has professionally managed f2p conversions is a fascinating turn. Very interesting perspective to have on our forum, and truly intriguing if he's invested. It would never have occurred to me that 'freemium' wasn't a starter position for a game in development. I'll be following to see what other insights you share!

My experience of freemium games is much like @FibS - a small group of spendy whales running the show and harvester bots making it necessary to verify my humanity w annoying frequency. When @Tuoni says some f2p games are successful, I'll take their word for it - aside from Game of Thrones Ascent, I haven't run into one that I stuck with for very long. But I keep downloading them on my phone, cuz I can't seem to survive w/o a phone game anymore. 🤷‍♀️

One's definition of 'success' definitely plays a role in how a person approaches a project of any sort. This is where @Oxfurd's reminder about the universe of opinions comes in....

Do the devs want to make a sustainable living or join the 1%? Will a steady # of players in a variety of cities and situations be satisfactory, or will we be sad if we never need to buy a bunch of new servers? I've got an opinion, but not a crystal ball...
    9a8bb535-6656-4ec4-8b8b-6ddaff002ae0-image.png

@PeachMcD The cool thing about forums is that your OPINION instantly transmogrifies into FACT, if you just repeat it enough.
    @Oxfurd I have more often heard the rest of you quote as 'and they all stink'...

@PeachMcD said in GO F2P LEARN FROM OTHER:

(...)Do the devs want to make a sustainable living or join the 1%? Will a steady # of players in a variety of cities and situations be satisfactory, or will we be sad if we never need to buy a bunch of new servers? I've got an opinion, but not a crystal ball(...)

I doubt that it's just the developers making that call. They've stated they have investors, which is why they could continue developing the game, even thought the Kickstarter wasn't a stunning success (but simply 'managed'). So these investors likely have some form of influence.
    And in this stage (during development), the situation is still different from after launch.
    I'd say that, even though I don't have a crystal ball either, it's best to keep things as they are now, but plan for a switch. If you need to switch, you are prepared, if you don't, even better since you have a stable financial environment.

@Oxfurd said in GO F2P LEARN FROM OTHER:

Opinions are like Aholes. We all have them some better then others.

How do you compare which one is better? 🤔 🙃

I say nay to this comment

• This game actually no need to be casual F2P shit like albion ty (0_-)

@Gibbx said:

The cool thing about forums is that your OPINION instantly transmogrifies into FACT, if you just repeat it enough.

A well-known marketing/propaganda technique, unfortunately not limited to forums. good article on the use of repetition in manufacturing consent here: https://propagandacritic.com/index.php/everybody-is-biased/repetition/

TL;DR summary: Social scientists Christopher Paul and Miriam Matthews state, “repetition leads to familiarity and familiarity leads to acceptance.” When audiences are repeatedly exposed to a short slogan or tagline, they are encouraged to accept these themes and associate them with the targeted ideas or groups. Propagandists use repetition to prevent further discussion when convincing members of their group that the opposing side cannot think rationally.

@Logain said in GO F2P LEARN FROM OTHER:

@Jetah said in GO F2P LEARN FROM OTHER:

(...)and this game wont be a game to know that with a few day trial.

You have me curious. How long do you think it takes (is it going to take in the future) to know if you like Fractured or not? And is that pure game time, or just real life time? What factors prevent people from getting to a conclusion faster?

the knowledge system will prevent people from knowing faster if they want it. this game will need at a minimum a 14 day trial (actual referral would be nice). but even then if the person only has the weekend then they might not know well enough in 6 days (assuming F/S/S x2).

@FibS
    you really need to try Path of Exile. only thing you'll want to buy are stash tabs but you can play without them (it'll be hard but possible).
    BDO isn't F2P though.

i actually hate that everyone (or 99.99%) are comparing Fractured to Albion Online. The two games wont be similar even if Fractured pivots to F2P.
    Path of Exile is free and it has a great cash shop. Fractured could be on that same level if it removes some things.

(...)the knowledge system will prevent people from knowing faster(...)

As in horizontal progression compared to vertical progression, or as in unlocking skills though exploration, or something else? And 14 days still sounds like something you could easily accomplish with a 'free trial' period, even more so when you simply create three 'meteorites' for the trial players, preventing the 'botting'/'spamming' influence on the real economy/players with next to no effort required programming wise for the developers.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Well lots of strong opinions. However, I don't know about everyone else. but I have never played a f2p game that I didn't spend any money on. In fact most of the time, a small payment initially usually saves me money in the long run.

Also supporting start ups in gaming seems like something gamers should be able to get behind.

@Purplefairy said in GO F2P LEARN FROM OTHER:

However, I don't know about everyone else. but I have never played a f2p game that I didn't spend any money on.

That is because some people understand the F2P model as it means you can actually play the game free and have all its content as well. The base idea of F2P is that a player can start the game free but they should expect to face different kind of payment methods. The payment methods is another story and can vary a lot but intend is to offer the players easy access to test the game without need to buy that first.

i actually hate that everyone (or 99.99%) are comparing Fractured to Albion Online. The two games wont be similar even if Fractured pivots to F2P.
    Path of Exile is free and it has a great cash shop. Fractured could be on that same level if it removes some things.

Says a person who clearly has not much experience of Albion and who uses Path of Exile as an example instead. 🤣

@Tuoni said in GO F2P LEARN FROM OTHER:

Says a person who clearly has not much experience of Albion and who uses Path of Exile as an example instead. 🤣

i played albion in alpha or beta. realized it was p2w and stopped after it went live. i've never had that thought for path of exile and have played it off and on since beta.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Jetah I've played Path of Exile. Yes, you can 90%-optimize your gameplay for a one-time payment of less than $15.00 (which I've done.) I have many, many criticisms of Path of Exile, but the cash shop is not one of them.

It doesn't change that the norm in F2P games is to be a predatory, fake-PVP-focused, P2W scam however.

F2P no, but something like Mortal Online can be a compromise.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@PeachMcD

Just to clarify, neither I, nor the company that I work for are investors in Dynamight Studios. We sold our (MMORPG) publishing company a few years back (it is now owned by Gamigo), did mobile for a few years, then tried MMO's again just last year (our non compete has expired), but are not actively publishing any games in the North American Market (or are looking to do so anytime soon).

Any comments I make are my personal feedback, not that of an investor, or representative of my company. I do have a different perspective on most of this, as I have been involved in many aspects of the industry, other than just being a gamer. This does not make my opinion any more valuable than anyone else's but it does sometimes make it different.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

without some type of method to try the game, you really never know if you'll like. and this game wont be a game to know that with a few day trial.

Nowdays you have streams for that. There is no (legal) way to try single player games and people are still buying...

Each model have pros and cons. I'm ok with B2P so I've put my money in Fractured. Will it change to F2P at some point? Probably. But I wouldn't expect it in the first year.

@Superman0X :

@PeachMcD
    Any comments I make are my personal feedback, not that of an investor, or representative of my company. I do have a different perspective on most of this, as I have been involved in many aspects of the industry, other than just being a gamer. This does not make my opinion any more valuable than anyone else's but it does sometimes make it different.

Thanks for clarifying! But I'm easily confused 😉 When you say 'I'm not an investor' I'm hearing 'I'm not a big @$$ backer' - but you have invested in this game as far as buying a backer's package, yes?

I figure if someone who has that much experience is interested in this game, it's a good sign. And your sometimes-different perspective is one I'm looking forward to hearing more of. See you in-game!
    🖖

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I'm agree in parts with the topic owner.

In some countries the currencies are very devalued, I think the company should think about regions like USA, South America, Europe etc ... And add a different price for each region.

There are games that will launch like New world etc, from big studios, this game costs 5 times the most basic plan in my currency.

But I really liked the graphics and the game idea. It looks like a promising pvp and pve.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured