Discord Store 90/10 Starting 2019

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I do love Discord and they've recently published a thing where they intend to keep 10% of the sales and put the other 90% into the developers pocket.

https://blog.discordapp.com/why-not-90-10-3761ebef4eab

I'll encourage DS, again, to consider putting Fractured on the Discord Store!

edit:
    in today's (Dec 20, '18) update they added:

We added early access games! Now, devs can release their games as early access and players like you can support them during their development. Help create some awesome game experiences! Yeehaw!

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

How does the discord store fare versus the standard steam or the slightly cheaper GMG?

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@troismurs GMG is not exactly a good example for comparison since it's only a store / reseller while Discord Store and Steam are platforms with functional apps + stores.
    I'm curious how the next years will play out, maybe Steam will finally get some good competition other than GOG with the Discord Store and the Epic Games Store having potential to rise in 2019.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@nozy epic games just riding the wave of fortnite kids these days. They think all they need is a good game with a shit ton of people to start a store (it helps a ton), but boy kinda hard to do business with epic if you're afraid they'll just plagiarize your game since they also support the game engine. Well, who knows~ I personally like discord store too so....

@chrightt said in Discord Store 90/10 Starting 2019:

@nozy epic games just riding the wave of fortnite kids these days. They think all they need is a good game with a shit ton of people to start a store (it helps a ton), but boy kinda hard to do business with epic if you're afraid they'll just plagiarize your game since they also support the game engine. Well, who knows~ I personally like discord store too so....

Epic has had that game engine for years. i doubt they'll create a copy of a game when they're getting revenue by someone using their engine.

Discord Store - 10%
    Epic Store - 12%

Steam - 30%

Not too hard to see the future here. Steam will have to lower its cut to 18-20% if they want to attract games

Do you want the real deal or the cheap knockoff?

As developer I would still choose Steam as platform to sell on, simply because of the much larger user count.
    Yeah, I would make less money per sale, but that is balanced by the amount of extra sales I get by selling on Steam.

• @jahlon said in Discord Store 90/10 Starting 2019:

Not too hard to see the future here. Steam will have to lower its cut to 18-20% if they want to attract games

They already kinda did a couple weeks ago.

I'm worried about the direction these PC storefront platforms are heading with Epic paying for third party exclusives instead of trying to offer a better service than Steam. It's hard to take these other platforms seriously when they don't even have reviews, let alone the massive pile of features Steam already has.

Steam has plenty of services but they aren't that popular as far as I know. Personally I don't even open Steam nowadays that often but I have Discord running all the time (PC and mobile app). Discord has all the basic stuff I need so their store is a nice addition.

• Wiki Editor

I think we need to watch the progress of the Discord Store to see if it will be a good alternative to the other gaming platform portals.

But IF Discord can build up a good service for it, i think it could be a good thing for DS later for Release.

Lets see, what the future will be in this case.

Discord has a good chance to kick the Steam off its current throne, cus every gamer and his mother is ALREADY using it.

• Forget Origin, we've got Discord. At the end of the day it's all going to come down to exclusives.

More competition more cheap games for me. ✌

@target

With that in mind, we’ve created new revenue share tiers for games that hit certain revenue levels. Starting from October 1, 2018 (i.e. revenues prior to that date are not included), when a game makes over $10 million on Steam, the revenue share for that application will adjust to 75%/25% on earnings beyond $10M. At $50 million, the revenue share will adjust to 80%/20% on earnings beyond $50M.

Yeah, but I mean look at those numbers $10 and $50 for your tiers?

At $10M you've given steam $3M

At $50M you've given steam $11M

If you took 12% from Epic

At $10M you've given Epic $1.2M
    At $50M you've given Epic $6.0M

I'll be honest, Steam hasn't convinced me to buy a single game. Ever.

Humble Bundle yes, Steam no.

I don't roll around Steam looking for games to play

@rofus said in Discord Store 90/10 Starting 2019:

Steam has plenty of services but they aren't that popular as far as I know. Personally I don't even open Steam nowadays that often but I have Discord running all the time (PC and mobile app). Discord has all the basic stuff I need so their store is a nice addition.

There is Steam Workshop, one of the best services Steam offers, next to the reviews.

Price isn't always everything. You can buy a margarita pizza, because it's cheaper than all the other pizza's, but it's a plain empty pizza without anything. I'd rather spend some more on a pizza and get something like a meat lovers pizza or for some a pineapple pizza.
    Also, the amount of people you reach with your platform is also very important.
    You might make more per sale with the epic of discord store, but if by going there exclusively and end up selling only half or even less than you would have done on Steam, there isn't much of a change in total revenue.

It would be a mistake to accept the exclusivity Epic is doing to try to compete with Steam. As a developer your best bet is to put your game on all 3 stores. Then you reach as much players as possible and you will get the biggest number of sales for your game.

And by the way, don't expect games to be cheaper on Epic and Discord, just because they ask less %.

I really hope that epic-thing and the discord store will encourage steam to lower the part of the sales they keep.

I really do like steam.
    Using discord every day i rarely opened the store so far and honestly it's not even close to encourage me to buy something.
    And i don't want to install the epic one because ... reasons.

@evolgrinz said in Discord Store 90/10 Starting 2019:

As developer I would still choose Steam as platform to sell on, simply because of the much larger user count.
    Yeah, I would make less money per sale, but that is balanced by the amount of extra sales I get by selling on Steam.

Discord is boasting 200m users. Not to mention the included games with Nitro.

@jetah said in Discord Store 90/10 Starting 2019:

@evolgrinz said in Discord Store 90/10 Starting 2019:

Discord is boasting 200m users. Not to mention the included games with Nitro.

They have more users perhaps, but most of them are only there for the communication tools, while all the users on Steam are purely there to buy games. It's quite a different market.
    I personally haven't even looked at the discord store to be honest.

@evolgrinz when they start to advertise some good deals, you will. 🙂

• Wiki Editor

@evolgrinz Exactly my thoughts about.

If i buy something it is not all about the price.
    If i get a good service or a good quality of the product and a plus in usabilty, then i am willing to pay more.

The spiral about cheap, cheaper, cheapest just will end in a flow of quantity and a loss of quality.
    Thats with almost everything in our life, not just at games.

Sure, you can buy a T-Shirt for 5 Euro at Primark, or even a 10 Euro at the countless fashion stores with trademarks. Yes it is easy to go to a big outlet store and come back with a brand new filled closet for less money.
    But at the end we all pay for it, because we destroyed lifes at third world countries and on top our planet.

If we compare it with the gaming market:
    Yes, we can buy cheap games, but at the end we just have cheap games produced by wage slaves.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured