Will Animation Cancelling become a combat mechanic one day?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@gothix No. You can solve ping issues with better internet as well, also from your point of view devs should make the combat more boring just because some people may have ping issues? lol
    And even if you add global cooldown, with ping you get delays, you'll get delay in the global cooldown as well, so people with ping issues will have the same disadvantage with or without global cooldown. The one thing people hate about FFXIV is the global cooldown, the combat sucks cus of that, and most tend to leave the game.
    You have your opinion, I have mine, and certainly a lot of people may have others as well, but in my opinion, I hope we donΒ΄t have global cd here. ^^

I quit playing multiple games due to lag: it's extremely frustrating to aim dead center on a target on your client, and have the shot go somewhere crazy on the server.

I'm hoping combat is designed to minimize ping issues...

• DymStudios - CEO

I know I'm quite late with this reply but let's clarify the issue a bit.

In Fractured, most actions require some time to be completed and can (almost) always be canceled if you order another action. For instance, if you're mining a rock and issue a Move command, your character stops mining and starts moving. If you're casting a spell and issue a command to pick up a mushroom, your character stops casting the spell and starts picking up the mushroom. You get the idea πŸ™‚ Obviously, this execution time is always coupled with an animation.

In most cases, the action is completed only when the time required (= the animation) is fully elapsed. If you're mining a rock and cancel the action before it's over, you get nothing. This typically applies to spellcasting too - you can cancel the spell you're casting, but then you just do nothing.

Attacks are an exception to the rule above, also for the sake of realism: if I throw a punch, the character extends the hand and pulls it back, and the damage should come when the hand is fully extended, not in the end of the animation. In this case, you can issue another command (start casting a spell or move, usually) right after the damage is done, performing what is called "animation cancelling". This is not only useful in PvP, but also in PvE for kiting and so on, and it's really not a "exploit" - it's a feature and it's fun! Of course, weapons are balanced also taking that into account πŸ™‚

So far, we haven't really felt like animation canceling is only doable by people with low ping. We already host our dev cluster in US East while we all play from Italy (120ms latency or so), and it can be done just as well as with 10ms latency. This is also because in Fractured we make heavy use of client prediction, as customary for action games, which means you typically don't have to wait for the reply of the server when you issue an action to see it executed, unlike what happens in RTS and MOBA games with RTS-like controls.

Does this, among other things, mean that you have to have quick reflexes and quick fingers if you want to be a "pro" in competitive gameplay, other than being knowledgeable? Yes, it does, but that's something we've publicly stated since day one πŸ™‚

@prometheus thank you for clarification! πŸ™‚

If lag will not be an issue, that indeed sounds very good.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@prometheus Thank you for the clarification! I'm kind of curious about one thing - archers and mages who have cast a spell - I assume you can safely move once the projectile is in flight? ie - The projectile is a separate animation, not tied to you, so you can fire and run without cancelling the hit once it's in the air?

• DymStudios - CEO

@therippyone said in Will Animation Cancelling become a combat mechanic one day?:

I assume you can safely move once the projectile is in flight? ie - The projectile is a separate animation, not tied to you, so you can fire and run without cancelling the hit once it's in the air?

Yes of course πŸ˜„

• @Prometheus Thank you, sounds great!

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@prometheus Sounds quite reasonable. Can't imagine it not working out well. Lots of good news there I'd say.

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured