Question about Syndesia guards

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

So from spotlight 6, we were able to learn that guilds (alliances) that control cities will be able to hire NPC guards (if they have good city) that will patrol through landscape outside of the city and will attack "bad" players on sight.

My question is, for balance purposes, if a guild controls an evil city, can they also hire NPC guards that will patrol around the area and attack "good" players on sight?

Syndesia is supposed to provide equal opportunity to good and evil players and let GvG determine what happens. So it would, imho, be only fair that if good guilds get to hire good NPCs to help them, that bad guilds also get to hire bad NPCs to help them.

Will they be able to? (Because nothing about this is written in spotlight, only good patrol guards are mentioned).

@gothix WELL, they could be called mercenaries, and like in all cities can be NPC guards

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

The way I understand it: Being a 'good' player gives you more protection on Syndesia. Being a 'criminal' player, gives more reward but also more risk. 'Good' players will be able to enter any city without a problem. 'Good' players can be attacked outside of cities, by 'criminal' players.

@jozef im not sure your right, i think that a "bad" guild could choose her NPC to repel good players too.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

The entire surface of Syndesia isn't going to be covered with towns, and they won't all have the same laws.

Chances are there will be "bandit towns" alongside the typical "if a criminal shows up we axe him instantly" towns, separated by very large stretches of semi-lawful free lands.

It would be nice if a controlling guild gets to decide how their guards react on different events, with some city configuration UI.

Simplified examples:

• attack any negative karma character on sight
    • attack any positive karma character on sight
    • attack characters on sight based on their current alignment
    • if you notice 2 characters in combat (one good one evil) engage and help the good character
    • if you notice 2 characters in combat (one good one evil) engage and help the evil character
    • attack on sight if character has thief or murderer status (or aggressive status)

More options could be added, and town guards could be configured separately from patrolling guards. And perhaps separate configuration could be possible for different times, during siege, during eclipse, during normal hours,...

I know this would be some amount of work for the devs for sure, but it would be awesome. ๐Ÿ™‚

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I believe that is fair. I also believe that those guards too should be at the level of being strong enough to balk single players. Tartaros is there for the single player jumping of people, after all!

In terms of guild vs. guild, I think enforcement should be the aspect of guards. I think that should apply regardless of what the guild wants enforced in their area.

And yes, basic AI options would be great, but maybe a minimal amount at least to start. I think something like the standard 'aggressive, reactionary, and stationed' could work well (renaming for a reason, of course)!

Aggressive would be for dealing with any player that is known as 'bad' per the local rules, reactionary would only act if attacked or in case of some conflict or breaking of those rules right in front of them, and stationed would be tied to a certain spot as a guard that only works within a tiny area (and won't chase too far).

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Don't forget that all cities may not be hiring guards to patrol their territories. You get a limited number of NPC's based on the prestige of your town, so it's possible that only the larger cities will be able to afford both patrols and city guards, and still have enough NPC's left over to man their shops.

• Wiki Editor

@gothix This idea points interesting possibilities.
    With detailed controlling of defenses you can think from an totally good holy might town, till the badass Bandit Town.
    But to prevent, that Towns tend to totally protection only, there should be benefits depending on the guard status.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@gothix said in Question about Syndesia guards:

It would be nice if a controlling guild gets to decide how their guards react on different events, with some city configuration UI.

Simplified examples:

• attack any negative karma character on sight
    • attack any positive karma character on sight
    • attack characters on sight based on their current alignment
    • if you notice 2 characters in combat (one good one evil) engage and help the good character
    • if you notice 2 characters in combat (one good one evil) engage and help the evil character
    • attack on sight if character has thief or murderer status (or aggressive status)

More options could be added, and town guards could be configured separately from patrolling guards. And perhaps separate configuration could be possible for different times, during siege, during eclipse, during normal hours,...

I know this would be some amount of work for the devs for sure, but it would be awesome. ๐Ÿ™‚

If Dynamight Studio's does it right they do all of the above, plus the option to add guildtags and player names to attack list (and don't forget the option to have neutral alignments on KoS list)

Copyright ยฉ 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured