Gender of Heroes

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Specter, plz spare me, this one's actually related

Yes, of course, in some terms, the male character is the personification of strength and brutality, but let's not dissemble, we all love to look at the ass^^
    Yeah, and then there's lolicon... Neko Chan....And other nyashka

characters don't have "gender". they can't reproduce so it's irrelevant.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

male for me, i just feel weird playing a female char. Altho most of the time they look absolutely stunning and the Armour looks cooler to

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@jetah said in Gender of Heroes:

characters don't have "gender". they can't reproduce so it's irrelevant.

Gender is not a biological concept; it's an expression of presence or identity. For instance, in most languages, words have genders.

Where humans are concerned, gender is mostly a social role; it's whether a person is seen as a masculine or feminine presence (or neither) by their society. While the West mostly-consistently conflates physical sex with social gender, the Hindu culture has for a long time recognized a semi-religious third gender whose definition varies with the region and which has evolved alongside sexual identity culture.

The point is, a fictional character has a very real gender regardless of any sexual organs or reproductive capabilities either in fictional canon or in reality, because gender, while often influenced, is not dependent on such a thing.

And I will be a cute deer lady. (More preferably a bunny lady.)

@fibs
    deer taste pretty good. deer jerky is delicious.

i just don't like the whole 'gender' thing being thrown in my face. it's a video game. gender doesn't change performance.

@jetah No, it's just we're skin - wankers and we're enjoying the picture. It is the main aesthetic for us

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@fibs

i just don't like the whole 'gender' thing being thrown in my face. it's a video game. gender doesn't change performance.

Nobody threw anything in your face! It's just asking if you're going to play a male or female character, gosh.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

I hope there wont be any gender-locked race. This thing disgust me...

What about gender locking professions? ๐Ÿ˜›
    Only males can be carpenters, only girls can be tailors?

(waits to be cursed upon and raged on by game community)

They've answered about gender locking before, the answer is no gender locking.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@gothix Well that would be one way to get PR, just not the good kind. I can see the flames and pitchforks coming out already.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@greenfire cant stand games with gender locking

• TF#3 - ENVOY

gender lock is pure evol
    there is never a good reason for it to exist
    so rly hope it won`t happen in Fractured

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@fibs

It very much does change the enjoyment of the game for a lot of people. Being a female, I really don't relate to male characters that well.

If I'm playing the story of someone else, a game about a specific person, I could care less. That is their story that I'm experiencing. I love stories, and if it happens to be about a specific male or female or other, I'm completely happy experiencing the story through their eyes.

If I'm playing an online game with a character that is representing "me" - a character that I either get into the role as playing or simply just the character I am building the story and life for - I relate far more and get much more enjoyment out of playing a female character.

Feminine or masculine characteristics are something you can see. They absolutely do have a gender one way or the other (and yes, there is gender neutral as well).

This also was a simple playful question someone was messing around with just asking people which they'll choose. There was no reason for hostility levels to increase or debates to ensue! ๐Ÿฑ

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Those who purchased a high enough tier on KS to get VIP should have quite a lot of character slots. It makes it more likely for people to create characters of both genders (though they may not use them quite often).
    I think it would better to ask what would be the gender of only the main (or the two most used) characters.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

I tend to play 4 or 5 "characters" in an MMO - 4 ladies, and, if I get the room, 1 dude - blame Dofus, my first MMO - the men originally looked flat out dumb, and the ladies looked kickass, so I played ladies mostly. Each Dofus race tends towards 3 or 4 play styles, and I used each character to play a different style, depending on how I wanted to play at the time.

I have, since then, played re-interpreted versions of those 5 in every subsequent MMO, doing my best to maintain those play styles, and switching as usual. For example, my current hero profile is "Sollarium" - Originally an Ecaflip's Luck. Major aspects of that class are high risk, high rewards maneuvers, with a strong tool chest of secondary abilities. For me, Sol is a very free spirited wanderer who emphasizes buffs and debuffs, movement/cc abilities, and played up the "luck" aspect of the class. In this game, luck is Charisma, so she's an Uno this time around. The fact that Uno powers are a movement buff and a group buff also "fit" - as does the bard/illusionist emphasis on the non-damage tool kit - and her personality is still intact - including her following the luck god, despite that god being "human." An easy translation, as it were.

Similarly, Bloody Ash was a Sacrier's Blood - a class that grew powerful on taking damage - An Infernal in this game, obviously XD How well an infernal tank that emphasizes Agility and Constitution is going to do, we'll see, but it will be interesting.

And so on.

Because I've had such a long history with these characters, I can't really see playing them as different genders than what they "are." Feels a bit like forcing a friend to change genders for your convenience - ie, not right at all.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I don't have any preference ๐Ÿ™‚ I can play as a woman as a man (on SWtOR,I've got 11 characters, 6 women and 5 men). It depend more of the aesthetic of the race (not like some people, I look more the head than a little lower ๐Ÿ˜› )

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@mewmew said in Gender of Heroes:

This also was a simple playful question someone was messing around with just asking people which they'll choose. There was no reason for hostility levels to increase or debates to ensue!

Very well said.

I have played both male and female and it is the aspect of each Character and what they wear will greatly influence what I play. Each person chooses what they play on their own criteria.

A large consideration for me choosing an avatar: Are the females wearing metal bikinis? and/or are the males look awesome in the same Armour that would actually offer proper protection from sharp pointed objects? If the first is a no, then my first avatar is female.

I have had some interesting moments while playing MMORPG with peoples assumptions about the gender of my avatar and my own gender. I was once told "Dude. I just wanted to let you know, the way you put your words together is very feminine".. to this day it both boggles my mind and makes me laugh. This was back when females were in the vast minority of players.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@trelia I once had a newbie I was assisting/getting acclimated ask if I was a grandparent - because I typed in complete sentences. XD

Copyright ยฉ 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured