Feature Spotlight #6 - PvP, Alignment & Crime

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@emopausal said in Feature Spotlight #6 - PvP, Alignment & Crime:

Can you play the game as long as you want while completely avoiding all PvP?

e.g.: You will never be flagged and/or attacked?

From reading the blog post, my take is that there always exists a risk of getting ganked...

tia...

if you want to progress your knowledge (thus adding skills) you'll have to venture out. I doubt anyone will completely avoid all PvP. This is an open world PvP game after all.

@ganytaj It's been announced as being full loot for a while now. Eve Online has full loot and it's over 10 years old now.

• Community Manager

@esher said in Feature Spotlight #6 - PvP, Alignment & Crime:

The most awaited spotlight is here ^^ What happen if a beastmen become an Abomination or a demon an Angel ? Do they earn special abilities and lossing some ? Is there a modification in their skin (for example, a beastmen who is perverted by evil can see his body change). When you talk about real-world hours, does it count hours offline ? Or the countdown stop when we disconnect ?

Yes, they will actually transform. Looks, stats, etc.

@lovechildbell said in Feature Spotlight #6 - PvP, Alignment & Crime:

So with only the human planet Syndesia mentioning guild pvp/land claim does this imply its the only place for guilds to take land and control it?

Guilds can create cities on all 3 planets, but it's only possible to conquer areas on Syndesia and Tartaros.

@immdev said in Feature Spotlight #6 - PvP, Alignment & Crime:

So being evil restrict you from some of pve content on Arboreus, right? Or it's the same for good characters and Tartaros?

Evil players can't access the good-only areas so content within those areas is off-limits to them.

From reading the blog post, my take is that there always exists a risk of getting ganked...

tia...

You are safe within the good-only areas on Arboreus. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@jetah

Been gaming since 1981 and I loathe open-world PvP... so I guess I'll pass. Game looks awesome tho and I'm sure it will be a success.

Thank you for the reply and best of luck!

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Sounds like a good concept

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Great read! getting more and more excited for this game.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@evolgrinz said in Feature Spotlight #6 - PvP, Alignment & Crime:

Lovely read and I am getting excited about the game now.

In the spotlight it's said that humans with good alignment can only stay on Arboreus for 20/40 hours.
    I had this plan to make a Demon and get it to good alignment and live on Arboreus, but by the sound of it, I guess this would be impossible...

20/40 maybe ๐Ÿ˜‰

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Seems somethign like that but you will never discover all knowledge spells ๐Ÿ˜‰

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

This is going to be a real hardcore and fun to play as demon :man_lifting_weights_tone5:

awesome job on the update. it was worth the wait. also thanks for addressing the hottest topic amongst the community even though you had planned to cover other information first. always good to see a devs responsive to the community.

I really don't understand why folks that don't care for PVP are baling already. if you play as a beastman (any why wouldn't you ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) and are home on Arboreus it sounds like PVP will be avoided totally and also while on Syndesia it sounds like it will be pretty easy to avoid PVP as well... oh well

Cheers and keep 'em coming!

• DymStudios - CEO

@finland said in Feature Spotlight #6 - PvP, Alignment & Crime:

Why not make it to go far behind the +/- 10k? like if a evil assassin wishes to became the most dangerous it could try to reach deeply over -10k same way one that would like to play as a justice paladin cound try to go far behind +10k for his personal pride.

We'll see - all the numbers in the update are temporary anyway, proper balancing comes much later in the development cycle :slight_smile:

What about to add an option for guilds like: When kicking some one for a good reason like an "exploit" to flag and restrict that player as:

Spy. You get this when sabotagins a Good or Neutral guild. It leasts for X real-world hours, and forces you to pick an Evil alignment.

It wouldn't work to give such powers to players, I'm afraid. Exploiting bugs is a different thing and is punished in a different way (temporary or permanent ban).

What happen if a beastmen become an Abomination or a demon an Angel ? Do they earn special abilities and lossing some ? Is there a modification in their skin (for example, a beastmen who is perverted by evil can see his body change). When you talk about real-world hours, does it count hours offline ? Or the countdown stop when we disconnect ?

They earn new racial abilities and also change look quite radically - it's like belonging to a whole new race! As for real-world hours, offline time counts, yes.

@lovechildbell said in Feature Spotlight #6 - PvP, Alignment & Crime:

So with only the human planet Syndesia mentioning guild pvp/land claim does this imply its the only place for guilds to take land and control it?

Nope, it works on Tartaros too :slight_smile:

@immdev said in Feature Spotlight #6 - PvP, Alignment & Crime:

So being evil restrict you from some of pve content on Arboreus, right? Or it's the same for good characters and Tartaros?

Yeah, it cuts you off some PvE content on Arboreus - but there's no real reason why you'd want to get that content too if you're Evil. Good characters instead have access to the whole of Tartaros - it's just hard to make it out alive ๐Ÿ˜‰

@ganytaj said in Feature Spotlight #6 - PvP, Alignment & Crime:

Interestingt to read but open PvP with full loot is not good for any game. Does not matter what system you make up ! This is end for me, good luck.

Why not just rolling a Beastman, @ganytaj? No hostile PvP and no looting - we've made a home for players with your preferences! :slight_smile:

@morridin said in Feature Spotlight #6 - PvP, Alignment & Crime:

One thing that stood out to me is the โ€œunconsciousโ€ player state that seems like it will be interesting. Does a player just go unconscious automatically at low health? Or are there special skills to knock out other players?

You get knocked out when you reach 0 Endurance. You die when you reach 0 Health. It's two separate bars. Attacks and most spells hurt your Endurance only, but some could affect your Health too. To die in full by the hands of another player, he must deliver a killing blow once you're unconscious.

Also, the timers for the flags could use sone clarification. If a person is flagged as a theif then goes out and steals again does the timer just reset or does it add on to the time left over on the first theft?

It resets - or so is the plan today. These are relatively small details we could tweak once we have enough feedback from testing :slight_smile:

@evolgrinz said in Feature Spotlight #6 - PvP, Alignment & Crime:

I had this plan to make a Demon and get it to good alignment and live on Arboreus, but by the sound of it, I guess this would be impossible...

We still have to decide how to treat Angels (a full transformation is the only way you can have a "Good Demon") when it comes to living on Arboreus, since in many ways they are already subject to the same limitations of Beastmen. Perhaps they'll be allowed to live on Arboreus... We'll see!

@tulukaruk said in Feature Spotlight #6 - PvP, Alignment & Crime:

Shouldn't that be "isn't enough"?
    And important questions: how are good demons treated on Arboreus and how are evil beastman treated on Tartaros?

Abominations are treated just like Demons. Babilis loves them - what could be better than a Beastman who has left the light? ๐Ÿ˜‰

As for Angels, see my reply above!

If you're a Beastman on Arboreus, the chance to be attacked exists you're out of a Good-only area, but is very small. If you explore Syndesia, it's more likely. If you travel to Tartaros, very likely... But then again, you don't really have to get to Tartaros! :slight_smile:

@jetah said in Feature Spotlight #6 - PvP, Alignment & Crime:

if you want to progress your knowledge (thus adding skills) you'll have to venture out. I doubt anyone will completely avoid all PvP. This is an open world PvP game after all.

That's only partially correct. You can build a fully effective Beastman character and never have to leave Arboreus. Of course if you want some more options, "venturing out" a little is necessary... In that case, just plan a trip to Syndesia with a good group of fellow Beastmen when there is no Eclipse ongoing. It's unlikely you'll be bothered then!

I like it... yes sir I like it lots. I love that being a beastman pretty much forces you to play nice with other beastmen. Makes it a little less shady and you can bet it will be a strong PvE planet.

@prometheus

I was not expecting to see a reply to this many people :D! I was thinking more of a 'more than basic kit' when I said that.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@prometheus said in Feature Spotlight #6 - PvP, Alignment & Crime:

It wouldn't work to give such powers to players, I'm afraid. Exploiting bugs is a different thing and is punished in a different way (temporary or permanent ban).

So do you consider sabotaging guilds (as spies) an exploit? If yes I supposed that will be able to report. I really hate those who join just to check the movements of a guild only to inform their main guild and organize gankins and so on.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Prometheus
    really seeing what i hoped to see from this spotlight. although i have some concerns.

Depending on your Alignment and your victimโ€™s, attacking, knocking unconscious, looting or executing a player triggers a Karma gain or loss.

is there going to be a big difference of karma gain or loss between executing, knocking unconscious or just attacking or looting since that would point to support type players falling behind just because of their choice of skillset.

Coherently to the spirit of the game, the Alignment of your character is not set in stone โ€“ youโ€™re free to choose it any time you take a Resting phase

it would definitely be better if we weren't allowed to change our alignments but the things we did changed our alignments and we had to live the consequences of it. "alignment" is not a thing that you can control by just saying you belong to one. i believe the reason for this alignment system is basically for what kind of players you want to be able to attack to but even then assuming the karma system was set in stone, putting everyone between maybe 1500 to -1500 in neutral and the good and evil on their positive and negative karma points would be far better in my opinion.

This is so cool. I'm so going to make a Demon for the express purpose of turning it into an Angel.

@gynz ew..

but i admire the challenge of it.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

IVe been waiting for the empire building post for ages

(...)What about to add an option for guilds like: When kicking some one for a good reason like an "exploit" to flag and restrict that player as:

• Spy. You get this when sabotagins a Good or Neutral guild. It leasts for X real-world hours, and forces you to pick an Evil alignment(...)

Since there is no way to mechanically validate 'good reason' (spying), that would be prone to heavy abuse (people luring 'beginners' into their Guild just to mark them as spy and then kill them).

(...)When you talk about real-world hours, does it count hours offline ? Or the countdown stop when we disconnect ?(...)

(...)Also, the timers for the flags could use sone clarification. If a person is flagged as a theif then goes out and steals again does the timer just reset or does it add on to the time left over on the first theft? I could see players getting very long flags if it just adds on time, whereas if it just resets a player would be more likely to go on a crime spree since the relative additional punishment is less.

+1 on that! If people can just sit out a penalty while playing another character, that kind of defies the intention, doesn't it?

I'm going to start with what I liked about the information. The idea of Divine quests / champions really appeals to me and the trade off for being a follower of Tyros on Tartaros is really ingenious.
    That said, I would have preferred you giving a rough figure on what 'large area' means in context of PvE only. I'm sorry, but I don't see what you said here in any shape or form:

@prometheus said in [Major Milestones Approaching! (Or: Why We've Been So Silent)]

(...)That being said, won't be gentle with botters.

People can flat out state that they are going to bot in the game on this forum, or even state that they have hacked and stolen items from people on other games (a real life crime) with no consequences to them. And there's going to be 'large areas' of a botters dream. That's kind of... the opposite of 'not being gentle'?

There's still some important answers missing from your spotlight as well, most notably 'you are quickly drained of all vital energies if you step into a Good-only area'. Which would imply that you can enter these areas and can initiate a fight in them as evil character (which I'd appreciate)? But what is 'quickly' in this context?
    And you haven't explained the 'in game mechanical benefit' to being a Demon. Actually, it seems to be far more enticing to choose a Beastman for a competitive PvP player, since the Beastman has a better grasp on resources, can decide when and where to initiate combat and have an easier time to retreat.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@logain time limit for evil alignment players is 30 min so if you get drained will be really less than that.

what 'large area' means

I think it is not important anymore cause you (evil people) got just 30mins time to stay on Arboreus.

ohhhh yes
    a new spotlight * _ *

Copyright ยฉ 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured