Finally!! Mounts, Fast Travel and Map Markers!!!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Ahhh... it's about time. Some QoL to the game! 🙂

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

How did you guys ever get by without mounts? As long as they don't implement mounted combat like Ultima Online, I'll be happy. No one ever fought on foot in that game.

@d3Sync

We got by with very very sore clicking fingers! 🙂

that and a whole hell of a lot of patience.

@d3Sync said in Finally!! Mounts, Fast Travel and Map Markers!!!:

How did you guys ever get by without mounts? As long as they don't implement mounted combat like Ultima Online, I'll be happy. No one ever fought on foot in that game.

Frenzy + SP Regen.
    And the "taxi deer".

Depends how mount combat is implemented.

If fighting on foot still gives you an edge, it could work. Mounted combat shouldnt be focused on killing people, but rather somehow on supporting your group.

• Wiki Editor

Mounts will make me very happy.

As for mount combat from other games: I find mount combat can be fun, but the moment they add it it normally becomes a staple in fights generally. I see it no difference in a game like this but! (another but) because of how spec'ing works in this game it might work out.

• Mounted combat will make slow mounts useless in anything but big guarded transports. Imo there shouldn't be any mounted combat and we should have a dismounting system in place so when riding a slow mount people can't dismount on you and use abilities to burst / cc your mount right away.

• @d3Sync Never played Ultima but why would mounted combat be bad?

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@ErinOwOErin As one of the earliest MMORPGs - indeed it is credited with coining the term - Ultima Online was a very unbalanced game, at least as it continued to add more and more content and change more and more existing gameplay concepts to attempt to stay relevant in the evolving genre.

In real life (who cares about that am I right), not every fighter who rode was actually trained to fight on horseback, nor was this necessarily intuitive or better when they were - the zweihander and other specialized weapons were designed specifically to confront riders.

In many MMOs, you're not even allowed to fight mounted - your mount vanishes when you enter combat and must be summoned again afterward. (In Elder Scrolls Online, your mount's stamina acts as its HP, and you're dismounted and Stunned if it expires from an attack. IIRC you can get a perk that makes your mount not use any stamina ever to last longer in combat.)

But in the MMOs where you can fight mounted, it is almost always a complete improvement with no downsides to do so. You move faster, you sometimes hit harder, and you almost always get an HP boost. This means that absolutely nobody "competitive" will ever not be on a mount, and therefore, everyone will have these giant gaudy show-off mounts the way some games let you get massive stupid-looking angel wings and auras and rainbow-colored armor.

The only time I played Ultima Online for more than a few minutes, I was ambushed by over a dozen high-end PKers all riding huge, six-legged "swamp dragons", who cornered me the the same as if it was a dozen dudes on foot piling up on me to punch my ribs.

Mounted combat can easily make an MMO look completely ridiculous and generally introduces a huge power gap, both of which can turn away basically all players other than min-maxers.

• Mounts always have an hugh impact to PVP - especially if the mounts themself have also skills like dismount others, stun, ...

I haven't played any game yet were mounted combat was balanced well...

Therefor I like games more where "special" mounts just look pretty and aren't better then "normal" mounts.

• Content Creator

@FibS said in Finally!! Mounts, Fast Travel and Map Markers!!!:

@ErinOwOErin As one of the earliest MMORPGs - indeed it is credited with coining the term - Ultima Online was a very unbalanced game, at least as it continued to add more and more content and change more and more existing gameplay concepts to attempt to stay relevant in the evolving genre.

In real life (who cares about that am I right), not every fighter who rode was actually trained to fight on horseback, nor was this necessarily intuitive or better when they were - the zweihander and other specialized weapons were designed specifically to confront riders.

In many MMOs, you're not even allowed to fight mounted - your mount vanishes when you enter combat and must be summoned again afterward. (In Elder Scrolls Online, your mount's stamina acts as its HP, and you're dismounted and Stunned if it expires from an attack. IIRC you can get a perk that makes your mount not use any stamina ever to last longer in combat.)

But in the MMOs where you can fight mounted, it is almost always a complete improvement with no downsides to do so. You move faster, you sometimes hit harder, and you almost always get an HP boost. This means that absolutely nobody "competitive" will ever not be on a mount, and therefore, everyone will have these giant gaudy show-off mounts the way some games let you get massive stupid-looking angel wings and auras and rainbow-colored armor.

The only time I played Ultima Online for more than a few minutes, I was ambushed by over a dozen high-end PKers all riding huge, six-legged "swamp dragons", who cornered me the the same as if it was a dozen dudes on foot piling up on me to punch my ribs.

Mounted combat can easily make an MMO look completely ridiculous and generally introduces a huge power gap, both of which can turn away basically all players other than min-maxers.

THIS!

Having played since the days of Ultima Online (and MUDS, MUSHes, MOOs, etc... before that) I can attest to this. Mounts for travel and to look cool are fine, mounts for combat just never seems to work in a balanced form...as was stated, there is an entire sub-school of medieval weaponry solely dedicated to attacking mounted opponents and putting them at a disadvantage, considering they often have several major advantages over non-mounted infantry types. (Attacking from 'high ground', Momentum of the mount added to charging attacks, Vital areas being up and out of reach, ability to wear heavier armor as the mount is the weight-barer, etc...)

pole-arms, hook-bladed weapons, etc... almost all exist primarily to counter mounted foes. This is not to mention those warriors trained to go for the mount and in such a way that the rider gets thrown or pinned by the disabled beast.

it's gonna be doooooope

So mounts with lots of pole arms that ground people can use, but mounters can not. Completely different skills that can only be used when mounted and not on foot. Ability to kill the mount leaving the mounted in a bad position as their skills are all mount only skills (less they were smart and kept a couple that are foot related) and of course the ability for the mounted to become unbalanced and fall off their mounts. Which if they are heavily armored, will become a major problem for them standing back up 😄

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured