Question about enviromental damage/effects

• If it´s still planned: will "warrior / assassin archetypes" be able to use environment to their advantage just as much as mages?

I mean in videos mage can jolt and stun me in water with Lightning damage as water is conductive. Probably can freeze me as well with cold damage. As there is Conjuration school, my guess (and hope) is mage can also summon puddles or water in general to further work with it (like in Divinity original sin).

So to question: can warrior (heavy armour) and assassin (medium) archetype characters use such spells as most spells are only available to cloth (light) armour? If so how?

Thank you.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Maybe if you are under effect of bleed, some environment will further reduce your movement speed (you are in pain, body cutted, cant move through high grass, or rocks easy).

Stuff like that.

• I don't know anything about this being confirmed by the devs, but there are possibilities of medium and heavy armor using the environment as well.
    The most intuitive usages would be: medium armor being able to grab into trees/ledges and pull themselves to that location. Heavy armor being able to push creatures into walls / off ledges and CC them.

• @Gothix Would be nice, but still you wouldnt be able to "summon" such environment, so if you aren´t lucky on place youre standing on, too bad for you 😕

@Razvan Same case imo - nice to have such possibilities, but once there are no trees / no ledges or walls, there is not much use for this. Also why wouldnt dude in cloth be able to pull himself to a tree - its easier in a shirt than in 15 kg chainmail 🙂

• @asspirin said in Question about enviromental damage/effects:

Also why wouldnt dude in cloth be able to pull himself to a tree - its easier in a shirt than in 15 kg chainmail 🙂

Because, of course, mages don't have grappling hooks in their backpacks, but rogues do. 😄

• @Razvan Touché 😄 But anyway - if noncasters were dependant on environment this much and couldnt affect it in any way, they would be disadvantaged.

@asspirin said in Question about enviromental damage/effects:

(...)my guess (and hope) is mage can also summon puddles or water in general to further work with it(...)

I'm not convinced that's going to be possible. And I'm not even sure if that would be a good design decision for a truly multiplayer game. How long would the water persist, where can it be summoned, how does it interact with other players and the environment. That's less trivial than what first meets the eye when there's other players, property and different already existing environmental conditions are involved.

• @Logain well sure, but in first video devs stated that "spells will interact with each other", imo they ment such thing; if it´s supposed to only affect terrain with appropriate material (water, sand, rock) and you cant do anything to use the terrain you need (aka summon it), then it probably doesn´t have big importance for gameplay

To be honest I don´t really care about that feature, but if it´s going to be part of the game, non casters shouldnt be disadvantaged.

• Wiki Editor

Here you can see how spells can interact with environment

. Some shock spell electrifying water

Heavy Armor and Medium armor already interact with the environment.... in colder terrain you stay warmer, in hotter terrain you burn up faster 🙂 Other than that I really only see negatives for environment effectiveness. When trying to cross water you drown faster. While crossing ice you break it faster. When climbing, errr.. climbing in heavy armor? are you nutz??!!!

Nope.. leave environment effects to the casters, makes a lot more sense I believe 🙂

• Wiki Editor

I hope there will be some spellcasting options for heavy/medium armor as well. I would like too see people try to build Paladin, Dark Knight or Bard. So far you have only paralyzing touch if you don't want to go full int

@GorTavaro said in Question about enviromental damage/effects:

I hope there will be some spellcasting options for heavy/medium armor as well. I would like too see people try to build Paladin, Dark Knight or Bard. So far you have only paralyzing touch if you don't want to go full int

I would think that any type of heal, curative, support spell would disregard armor type like the Cleric does. Offensive type spells I think should never be useful in Heavy, but weaker spells should be fine in Medium Armor. Unless they add another Talent or Skill (or handicap of some type) that has to be used in order to cast in armor that is not Cloth. Also, we can already cast in Leather, so that would cover your bard and thief specs 🙂

• @Ostaff

any type of heal, curative, support spell would disregard armor type like the Cleric does

Youre right, that has been confirmed by devs.

Offensive type spells I think should never be useful in Heavy

also correct

but weaker spells should be fine in Medium Armor

I thought so far only Necromancy offers offensive spells in medium, but regular offensive spells are only castable in light.

Shields can also be used as matter of defence while casting, but only the smallest kind (buckler?) and except Invocation and Conjuration schools.

LOL this old hippie saw the post title and thought it would be a discussion of how a city full of toons would impact the nearby environment - like fishing out the river or cutting down all the trees.

The actual topic is also interesting. I love the idea of casting lightening on an area of water and watching the fish float into my net - kinda like when my Northern Wisconsin forebears would throw dynamite into the lake to speed up catching dinner. 🤣 🤣 🤣

986bfb7b-9e8d-4a48-b687-1fbd3689c595-image.png

@PeachMcD Not to mention how Shrek does it by jumping into a pond and farting!! Now that's some real player interaction with the environment!! 😄

(...) "spells will interact with each other"(...)

There are plenty of ways for spells to interact other then summoning elemental objects on the map.

(...)you cant do anything to use the terrain you need (aka summon it), then it probably doesn´t have big importance for gameplay(...)

I'd argue that the whole concept of horizontal progression versus vertical progression is a rather massive impact on gameplay by itself. And situational advantages are basically the main incentive behind horizontal progression (both character and equipment wise), since this allows best adaption and hence highest performance on each specific environment.

@Gothix Would be nice, but still you wouldnt be able to "summon" such environment, so if you aren´t lucky on place youre standing on, too bad for you 😕

Well it's same for "mages", they can't "summon" water to electrify you in it 😛 so if you aren't standing in water at the moment, that skill interaction will be useless for them. 🙂

And if mages will be able to "summon watter", maybe a druid spell can "grow grass". 🙂

And since you don't actually have to be a certain role to use the spell, you would be able to grow grass as a warrior as well, just not be as efficient in it.

This is why teaming up (of different "classes") will be good idea, not only for number advantage, but but skill interactivity.
    In this way it would be more usefull for different "classes" to group up, then for everyone and his mother playing same class and 5 mages or 5 warriors going around in a group.

Which would be a good thing, to encourage diversity.

• @Gothix

And since you don't actually have to be a certain role to use the spell, you would be able to grow grass as a warrior as well, just not be as efficient in it.

And if mages will be able to "summon watter", maybe a druid spell can "grow grass"

Not role, but you probably have to wear certain armour (light) to cast Conjuration spell and not many tanks will probably use these. Mage classes (both "druid" and "mages") might be able to cast such spells, warriors will depend on environment.

Well it's same for "mages", they can't "summon" water to electrify you in it

Well, we dont know many spells yet, do we So far like 20% or so abilities have been revealed, not counting their variations. And I don´t necessary mean "summon water", maybe bleeding will make conductive "blood puddle" like in Divinity or so.

But my question is "will mages use environment better then non mages"?

also here is fire arrow made of normal arrow + fireball similar to combinatory abilities from Guild wars 2. If system of Fractured will work like it, then magic (light armour) will be necessary anyway.

@asspirin

I believe that mages will always have better utilization of the environment than a non-mage will. A non-mage just doesn't have that much going for them in order to interact with the environment. It would all just be mundane interaction, set as snares and other traps.

• @Ostaff
    Going to the most 3 basic archetypes in RPGs (warrior, rogue, mage), the rogue also has great use of environment interactions. On top of my head, they can find secret passways and chests, blend in the night/grass, use and detect/disarm traps, pass difficult terrain*.

*probably not really applicable here since they use the d&d system where athletics is an STR check

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured