Goodbye Grind?

• Wiki Editor

Will there be option to repair item instead of replacing it? Something like use the same resources you would use to create new one to repair the old one so you could preserve modifications you made to the old item...

• @GorTavaro
    Unless they changed it meanwhile

There is a repair system, but it always requires resources.

source

• Wiki Editor

@Razvan
    Thx

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@Zori I don't know whether to call it concern, perhaps personal interest.

Interest in debating a highly discussed topic, but from another perspective and seeing how feasible its implementation is.

I do not worry that there is zones or Guilds locked content, it is something common in every video game, not something that I like but far from worrying me.

My interest is to discuss the lack of alternatives to achieve a goal and the persistent presence of unique mechanics and clearly focused on a certain style of play behind which specific objectives are hidden.

As an example:

0372dbc8-89fb-4e1b-b8eb-4968d0804796-image.png

Difficult to implement?

Difficult to balance?

Greater investment of time and money?

Surely, but I don't think this is the only limitation. It seems to me that in general, this type of mechanics is usually used to intentionally create niches of players of a certain style and focus on them in isolation from the rest.

This is what I usually call induced "fragmentation".

In this way specific groups of players are created in a controlled environment.

The problem with this type of practice is that it turns a virtual world ready to be explored from end to end in a series of content islands, each containing a different player style.

Taking into account the present game, I cannot let go of the relationship that exists with this concept, a fragmented world (¨Fractured¨) in which there is the possibility that those isolated content islands (¨planets¨) have a certain type of interaction .

Does this represent greater diversity and the possibility of achieving the same objectives for different styles of play?

Time will tell...

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Chapex said in Goodbye Grind?:

My interest is to discuss the lack of alternatives to achieve a goal and the persistent presence of unique mechanics and clearly focused on a certain style of play behind which specific objectives are hidden.

i've already mentioned how/why 'too much alternatives' doesn't actually favour anyone in the long run. Refer to previous post for context.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@Zori Choice paradox, choice overload, etc. Many studies on psychology refer to the different reactions when facing a large number of options.

In this sense, numerous psychological manipulation techniques were established to be applied among other things during the development of video games in order to generate a controlled environment in search of the expected results.

Limiting the number of options available when making decisions is one of them, but this does not mean reducing them to a single option.

On the contrary, this type of practice leads to a state similar or even worse than the previous one, the frustration of not being able to choose and this effect is intensified when the only option available is also unpleasant or not very gratifying.

A controlled amount of options that allow a certain degree of freedom without reaching the point of being overwhelming turns out to be the best option when generating a greater degree of satisfaction.

• Community Manager

@Razvan @GorTavaro That information is outdated. The current plan is to have no repair system at all.

@Specter said:

@Razvan @GorTavaro That information is outdated. The current plan is to have no repair system at all.

seriously? 😵 😥 😞 Those high-level reagents are sometimes really tough to gather/find & a well-buffed piece of gear is precious in my sight. I can't possibly be the only one who'd beg for at least a possibility of repair, even if it was a specialized craft requiring hard-won skill.

PLEASE ask the devs to reconsider!

I personally like no repair system. Repairs can get tedious.

With the huge possibility of theft i dont think repair system is needed. We just need disassembly system, when i steal lots of gear from others to be able to dissasemble it to % of base materials, and use them for other purposes.

In Arboreus some mobs need to steal your gear when they kill you. Humanoid thief NPCs and similar.

@PeachMcD Typically gear repairing works as a gold sink because it is easily the most effective mechanic to remove ingame currency from the game and avoid inflation. It is very easy to implement, e.g. city blacksmiths could offer repair services. If gold can be effectly remove from the game via other methods then repairing is not necessarily needed.

If there will not be repairing that means items will decay and eventually be destroyed, this of course works as an item sink making more demand for new stuff. However, this might lead to situation that people do not want to use their best equipment so it will not be destroyed, however, if every gear is easily replaceable then the decaying does not matter that much or at all.

If the items will be unrepairable that will have huge negative impact for trading used items. If we think on top of that the enchanting variations, there will be way too much different options for sales making the listing of all items a nightmare and system where most of the stuff will not just sell.

One option is that most of the stuff is meant to be salvaged like @Gothix mentioned and trading is build around resource markets rather than crafted items. This sounds of course really bad for players who are interested of meaningful crafting and also for players who like full loot system where you can actually get gear rather than just resources.

Therefore, I predict huge design issues what developers will need to struggle with.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

Hey I say we just let them allow us to log in and pick to have what we want with out any work.
    IE its a grind to log into the game everyday so i need them to install TeamViewer in my PC and have it log in for me. Once this is completed i would then have them auto log in (what a drag am I right?). As I will obviously will have to grind away in make/buying food to survive we would need to them take that machinic out of the game to Grindy. Ok that is all easy... No one thing that kept me coming back to WOW was the lvl 40/50/60... City sitting cause i did everything and while i waited for more grindy content .

You realize taking the way you're looking at it would make the game stupid. If you don't want to do some or anything repetitive most games wouldn't be your kind of game. The term grind in most gaming comminutes is something that is a time dump for the lack of real content. Dailies are a grind for sure. Raiding the same damn thing everyday to get that .000% drop drake pet that's a grind. Getting money from passively killing mobs to then get a house is not a grind.

Thats my 1 cent

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured