Attacks on settlements by NPCs

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Will this be a thing especially on the PvE world?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@SatelliteMind89 Because there will not be sieges in Arboreus and management of the cities centre to be handled by politics it would be so cool if guilds and cities would need to deal with NPC attackers. Even we are talking about PvE planet that should not mean that the most exciting activity is picking flowers or hugging trees.

Therefore, I suggest that different continents in Arboreus could be furnished with different dangerousness level and that way offer also a hardcore PvE content for those who are interested. This should not be just limited to defend NPC invasions but also the environment in general could offer challenging mobs and animals, rare rewards and maybe even the most dangerous areas could contain lethal enemies which will not just knock you down but also cause full loot drops by killing players.

I'm anticipating that NPC aggro will be a thing in Arboreus. The circle of life includes both cooperation and predation.

If a lone traveler along the road is liable to be set upon by mobs of various sorts and strengths, it makes sense that a town/city where players aggregate food and resources would be attractive to hungry mobs of various sorts and strengths.

I lived & worked in Alaska 4 summers. In the spring, moose moms with new calves would make their way to our encampments because the grizzly bears were waking up hungry - the moose moms felt safer around a bunch of people bc griz specifically DON'T LIKE groups of people.

The moose moms weren't looking for trouble in town - they were looking for safety. But moose are known for being irascible, and moms are always scary when defending their little ones.

So keeping one's distance was always advisable unless you decided to eat mom meat & leave an orphan. This is an example of zero aggro on the part of nature setting up possible confrontations in a settlement. What kinds of npc mobs will inhabit Arboreus, only @Prometheus & the devs know!

But this thread might be a good place to give them some ideas? 😉

2dbbf2ee-9dba-4102-9a01-9f4fae4de6f8-image.png

@PeachMcD Hostile NPCs would be easy to justify and your predator example is one good option. It is also easy to use NPC factions like goblins or invent something totally new like outcasts. If these invasions wants take to another level then players actions could have impact how often invasions will happen and how strong are those attacks. Meaning, depending how much players have for example killed certain mobs or animals or even if they have gathered too much a specific resources.

New World MMO will actually have some kind of invasion system and perhaps some ideas could be borrowed from there: New World: Invasions

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I think having NPC demons etc. to make up for gaps in player demon attendance would be cool.

NPC centered large scale events in UO were high server activity events. I remember the Battle of Trinsic being so heavily attended on Great Lakes that the queue was awful trying to log in. We had a dozen guys where I work call in sick and they had to shut down our shift lol. Bosses weren't too happy. My dialup was so lagged that I could barely move. I did get tons of pics that day though.

@FibS said in Attacks on settlements by NPCs:

I think having NPC demons etc. to make up for gaps in player demon attendance would be cool.

This is one really good option as well.

@Farlander said in Attacks on settlements by NPCs:

NPC centered large scale events in UO were high server activity events. I remember the Battle of Trinsic being so heavily attended on Great Lakes that the queue was awful trying to log in. We had a dozen guys where I work call in sick and they had to shut down our shift lol. Bosses weren't too happy. My dialup was so lagged that I could barely move. I did get tons of pics that day though.

That was a shame if performance of the game could not answer to the interest of players. However, I guess this still shows how events like NPC invasions really interests players and those are content what they are looking for. I presume this is the case also today.

Perhaps... demon players could do rituals to spawn demon NPCs, and send those to Arboreus.

The more effort demon players put in, the more NPCs attack. This could be used to distract furrys, while demons go grind mats on outskirts of Arboureus, outside of safe zone. Less resistance, cus many furrys get otherwise occupied with those NPCs.

i think the pve world is moRe like farming and stuff not really attacking anything besides animals/monsters the human world is more that style

I played a small mmo that was developed out of a hobby. they had small areas for housing which the players could fix up. (they could fix lamp post, trusses, roads, etc, while also building houses). there were random times where NPC would smash the place up and if it wasn't defended most of the properties were destroyed in various amounts. it was a neat little call to arms to defend the bigger houses which housed the crafting tools while it wasn't annoying in that it happened every day/week.

@Jetah But if you cannot be there at time, then you lost all your stuff what you build like 2 days (for example) ? I don't know, it is better to not be forced to be online at any time, because of work and other things in our life ! 😛

• TF#3 - ENVOY

I would also like to see a guild karma based on the general alignment of the members. That karma number should determine how often and how heavy the possible NPC attacks will be on towns and cities.

@Bramibal said in Attacks on settlements by NPCs:

I would also like to see a guild karma based on the general alignment of the members. That karma number should determine how often and how heavy the possible NPC attacks will be on towns and cities.

This should not determine the amount of attacks.

This would be more for determining what type of NPCs attack you.

@dj35 said in Attacks on settlements by NPCs:

i think the pve world is moRe like farming and stuff not really attacking anything besides animals/monsters the human world is more that style

PvE does not equal to farm in peace. It is true that in Arboreus lifeskills and RPG elements are highlighted but that planet is also about cooperation so it should offer players meaningful group oriented PvE content like killing world bosses, or running dungeons and raids. A lot of people likes to play challenging PvE games which offer competitive and hardcore content. Therefore, because Arboreus will be huge (the biggest one) it would be reasonable to have a different kind of continents which can offer different level content. Some of continents can be peaceful and super casual, and some in other hand can offer hardcore PvE activities. There can be some middle ground as well, but my point is that the game can easily offer different kind content for wide PvE audience if they just want to.

@Gothix said in Attacks on settlements by NPCs:

Perhaps... demon players could do rituals to spawn demon NPCs, and send those to Arboreus.

The more effort demon players put in, the more NPCs attack. This could be used to distract furrys, while demons go grind mats on outskirts of Arboureus, outside of safe zone. Less resistance, cus many furrys get otherwise occupied with those NPCs.

What kind of demon wants relief for possible open world PvP action? Or is the PvP wrong kind when the hunter might become the prey? 😉

@Fortie said in Attacks on settlements by NPCs:

@Jetah But if you cannot be there at time, then you lost all your stuff what you build like 2 days (for example) ? I don't know, it is better to not be forced to be online at any time, because of work and other things in our life ! 😛

the game is a mmo. if it were a single player i'd agree with you but each community had people there nearly all day. and it wasn't as though the mob would just spawn in the town and start wrecking it. it would spawn in the camp of it's species and walk, really slowly, and wreck stuff as it traveled. you could kill it early and it wouldn't do much. as it walked, those that see it would relay that it's on x road near y camp heading toward z city if they couldn't kill it.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@Gothix I get your point but that's what I implied with how heavy the attacks were going to be. Some NPC's will be stronger than others.

I guess I could've used a different wording.

Y'all, please don't assume that PvE is all purely farming and crafting and kumbaya, and then make 'furball' or 'farmer' jokes about it. That's just insulting af.

Anytime a party goes into a D&D dungeon (whether online or in-person), they're doing PvE. The mobs and bosses can be fatal to a toon/PC. I look forward to that challenge and enjoy it.

I have zero way of telling you why I enjoy that type of mayhem but not the PvP kind, just like you didn't wake up one day and choose which gender you wanted to turn your crank, or which foods would nauseate you, or what music you like to dance to. It's called 'preference', and it's a personal thing.

In a past life, I was a chef. Some folks loved my cooking. Some folks didn't. Taking that stuff personally or hating on/making fun of people who didn't care for my cuisine (or anything else determined by preference) would be ignorant bigotry.

In a game environment, we're free to enact stuff that would be completely unacceptable irl. Folks who identify as demons might be ok with ignorant bigotry and all kindsa evil 💩 in-game, huh? 🤔 Violence and mayhem can be cathartic - even for a pacifist like me! But let's try to keep that shizzle in-game, ok?

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

If it does end up being a thing. I have a feeling you’ll need a strong Mercenary Guild to protect you and your own. Please feel free to take a look at the guild tagged in my quote, Glims Mercenaries.
    We are the most well known mercenary guild on fractured and have been since the beginning. We look forward to working with you.

Sincerely, Glimheim Barrows.

Maybe in Arboreus "safe zone" (mind that "safe zone" implies safe "from PvP" and not "safe from everything" 🙂 )... there could be NPCs that certain player guilds or cities could pay off, to attack another guild or city.

That's how political confrontation could get extended to physical through PvE, still avoiding direct PvP conflict.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured