Empty World

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I had mentioned my issue with the world when the first Alpha came and the quick glimpses of the latest Alpha there doesn't SEEM to be any changes. maybe its the top down view but to me the world gives off an empty vibe. Maybe it's like that that due to the top down view of the game but I have played other top down games and this one just seems... IDK... off somehow. it feels very flat. the trees are far apart and every thing seem too far apart. I don't get the feeling of a forest, I get a feeling of a bunch of trees. Same with everything else it doesn't FEEL populated. anyone else feeling this way?
    Re: First impression of Alpha1 -T1 with screen shots

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I think this comes with the territory with a isometric game that allows you to cut down any tree. I think trees have a 24 hour timer on them (Or something close to that, right?). This points out they don't want an over abundance of them.

I would say they can increase the number of trees and increase the spawn time but... They will end up cut down and the same feeling would be there lol.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

I think the isometric view plays a large role in it. You can't have a dense forest while still being able to see anything else on the screen. You'd be eaten by a group of snapping turtles without even seeing where they are. And if you make the canopy see through, then...well, it doesn't feel like a dense forest anymore.

@Mindark yes I think thats part of it. but I think it's also their art style 🤷‍♂️ not sure if you've ever played Seven: The Days Long Gone and the environments are stunning. Even Albion feels less stark. Maybe its the color pallet? or maybe even its this biome? idek what it is but it just seems stark...

• Wiki Editor

@Althalus I was today traveling from Goblin hills all along the coast till Northgard Mountains and then down again back to the Heartwood.
    I was enjoying it much.
    Even i know it is still empty, i can imagine what they are able to add.
    Was at this small place left from the Northguard Mountains at the Shore... and i really being curious about, what there will be in future.

And of course i saw very difficult Vegetation while my travel.
    From Desert like Area, till the Oakwood Forest, where you just find Oaks.

I do not really know, what you are expecting.
    We know, that the most areas are not filled up yet with POIs, but we also know for sure, they will get filled up till release.
    You just need to get some more fantasy mind and you will be able to imagine. 😛

@Whisper

they can have forest. they can keep the timer the same. only problem i can see is the click to move would completely fuck people if they were fighting in a forest (unless there's a harvest mode' which prevents harvesting).

i've played crowfall and they have forest and all trees can be harvested.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Jetah said in Empty World:

@Whisper

they can have forest. they can keep the timer the same. only problem i can see is the click to move would completely fuck people if they were fighting in a forest (unless there's a harvest mode' which prevents harvesting).

i've played crowfall and they have forest and all trees can be harvested.

That's fair. I should have been more specific and said in an isometric game. You are 100% right even with the amount we have now there are a few times while playing that we choose to cut down trees so we could fight the mobs we were farming without getting our view blocked.

@Jetah @Whisper they confirmed a combat mode toggle soon to prevent that happening in todays ama 🙂

Which areas of the game have you been visiting @Althalus? As an example, is the wood in Heartwood dense? How many interactable objects do you expect per screen?

Its Alpha. Focus right now is on getting mechanics working correctly and smoothly. Base graphics lookin' good, and smooth. Polishing combat,...

Content is usually added throughout beta (late beta 1 / early beta 2) in MMO development. 🙂

@Gothix

alpha is getting the mechanics in, beta is for balancing. at least that's how i've understood it.
    yeah, there might be a few more mechanics added in beta but all combat, city, crafting should be in alpha.

This post is deleted!

• Community Manager

@Althalus Keep in mind that city building hasn't been implemented yet. Once large cities start popping up all over the place it'll change the landscape considerably.

So when you cut a tree down or mine a rock the graphics disappear from view? It's not like UO where the resource is just not obtainable and the tree or rock is still there for aesthetic purposes? If so then I will expect as the servers grow when the game goes live the landscape will be barren lands much like LIF was when our group played there. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. It's nice to be able to clear a land for building purposes when you have the ability to sprawl all over with walls and such. But if all we have are max 5x5 plots then the whole map will look like urban sprawl if the respawn timers are long.

@Specter Thank you, that is a valid response! and yes I must admit I did not even consider that! well, I will look forward to that! ☺ ✌

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Farlander said in Empty World:

So when you cut a tree down or mine a rock the graphics disappear from view? It's not like UO where the resource is just not obtainable and the tree or rock is still there for aesthetic purposes? If so then I will expect as the servers grow when the game goes live the landscape will be barren lands much like LIF was when our group played there. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. It's nice to be able to clear a land for building purposes when you have the ability to sprawl all over with walls and such. But if all we have are max 5x5 plots then the whole map will look like urban sprawl if the respawn timers are long.

Negative. Tree's leave a tree stump. Rocks leave a base of the rock. My land claim is in a forest area and I would say there are enough tree's there to give me the forest biome feel. Especially when compared to the other areas. Though I might be lucky because my biome feels more full. There is always a group of deer to the left of my land plot and if I go to my right some spiders. North I end up hitting Fox's/wolves. A little more north and I will see some rabbits.

But there are some areas where the land is pretty empty. So either I got a primo land spot or the area where my land claim is more polished and a lot of other spots are not as polished yet and I think this is the case. There are a lot of land spots where it looks like something will be but nothing is really there yet. I imagine once they start filling those in, other areas will see the same love.

For your last point I think it really depends on how the city building goes. I highly doubt cities are going to lack supplies. For example the starting city. We see a farm area with a ton of cotton/wheat being grown. I imagine we will see cities specializing in certain trades (Or having smaller amounts of a few). So we may see some cities that want to focus on wood, or rocks, plants, etc.

Right now land claims are kind of scattered enough that even if they were all taken there is plenty of room for nature between them. I am not sure if Cities are their own land claims like that, or if people bundle their current claims and form a city. But either way I don't think they are going to allow all the map to be claimed via the city system with the way the current system looks.

@Whisper That's good to know. I hated the feel of LIF with alot of players on the server. It gave the feeling of scorched Earth anywhere you went. There was also nowhere to hide lol. Since there was no target reticle no one highlighted. So you could actually hide behind trees and rocks. Made it hard when they were all removed. This was an advantage removing the resources around castle walls so it did have pros and cons.

@Farlander

oh! i like the idea of removing the resources around a village. this is a pro/con for the village and attackers!

e1161cb3-0ec5-4d61-99c4-18ccf6574867-image.png

another game that has similar art style to Fractured but feels different b/c of the grass/ foliage that seems to make the game feel more occupied

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Althalus said in Empty World:

e1161cb3-0ec5-4d61-99c4-18ccf6574867-image.png

another game that has similar art style to Fractured but feels different b/c of the grass/ foliage that seems to make the game feel more occupied

As much as I enjoy foliage like that in my single player games. Am I the only one that always turns it all the way down in PVP games for that performance boost?

I think it would be a nice addition but I would put that pretty low in the priority list.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured