This game will it be free to play someday?

• i know the game is in developpement but someday could it be free to play?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

That's something only the future could tell you. There has been no open statement about such plans, so I wouldn't count on it to happen, but it is always a possibility with games when they are forced to seek a different revenue model.

Hello LadyDemona!

LG
    Mata

There are no 'free to play' games, in reality. There are freemium games where players can enter w/o payment and play w/o paying, but in reality those games are impossible to play for free SUCCESSFULLY for any length of time.

This is because games exist within a capitalist universe and game developers need to eat. The result is that, in supposedly FTP games, the strongest players ('whales') are folks with a LOT of $$ invested in the game.

The model for this game is different. The dev's are trying to avoid the imbalance found in 'freemium' games by asking players to pay, up front, a set amount of $$, and then giving them access to EVERYTHING. The playing field is even, and the top players will be top players because they play well, not because they dump a lot of $$ into game currency.

Many of the people on this forum - me included - are folks who have invested in Fractured exactly because of this difference.

I'd encourage you to wait and see whether the game that develops, when made available to the public, is something you can afford to purchase and enjoy.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Fingers crossed it doesn’t go free to play

I prefer the model it has now; buy the game and then you play for free. Free to play means tons of microtransactions all throughout the game. I don't mind cosmetic purchases but anything else will ruin the game for me.

@Farlander said in This game will it be free to play someday?:

I prefer the model it has now; buy the game and then you play for free. Free to play means tons of microtransactions all throughout the game. I don't mind cosmetic purchases but anything else will ruin the game for me.

path of exile is free and it isn't a mobile game financially. f2p could work but i feel most developers/publishers push the cash shop over gameplay at that point.

Yes, it is always bad, and sad, when a B2P (buy to play) game goes f2p.

@TekNicTerror said in This game will it be free to play someday?:

Yes, it is always bad, and sad, when a B2P (buy to play) game goes f2p.

it's pivot or die. more gamers are expecting free games with mtx in some form. Warframe actually did better by switching to f2p and allowing their mtx currency to be traded.

If the model ever changes to "free to login and walk around" there will be some other monetization system involved. You will never get a MMO that is completely free because developer time and server costs have to be payed somehow.

@Gothix said in This game will it be free to play someday?:

If the model ever changes to "free to login and walk around" there will be some other monetization system involved. You will never get a MMO that is completely free because developer time and server costs have to be payed somehow.

that's paid for by those that buy mtx. typically they spend more than games without.

That is why I still like FF14 and WoW B2P + subscription, but everything is available for everyone at a fair price.

@Yitra said in This game will it be free to play someday?:

That is why I still like FF14 and WoW B2P + subscription, but everything is available for everyone at a fair price.

FF was the last game to start and continue to be a subscription. all other games that tried has to swap to a different monetization. Now that FF has been out longer than 5 years, no game in the past 5 years has launched as a subscription and maintained it.

• Wiki Editor

@Jetah said in This game will it be free to play someday?:

path of exile is free and it isn't a mobile game financially. f2p could work but i feel most developers/publishers push the cash shop over gameplay at that point.

Well yes, you can play PoE for free and can do all stuff without paying anything.
    BUT...
    Without the extra Stashes, that you only can get in the Item Shop, you won't be happy to play it. Because too much stuff you will collect while playing the game.
    That means, to enjoy really the game, you should at least spend between 20 and 40 Euros to the game to be fine.

And PoE has much more stuff to sell at the Shop, not just the cosmetics for your Charakter, but also the extra nice Furnitures for your Hideout.

Yes it is a Free to Play game, but it earns much much money with their packages, especially the seasonal ones, that you just can get a period of time.
    I doubt someone who really play it for longer time will never spent money on the game.

@Kralith

i've used PoE as the prime example on how to have a cash shop. but i also like Warframe as f2p is allowed to get mtx via trading.

I used to like subs for mmos because that evened the playing field for all players. However, I realized a sub made me feel like i had to play and then it became "I gotta get my money's worth" and I just quit playing all other games. So now if a game requires a sub I just pass it by even if it looks good. By the time you have played a game with a sub for a year you could have bought 2-3 other nice games.

• Wiki Editor

@Jetah said in This game will it be free to play someday?:

@Kralith

i've used PoE as the prime example on how to have a cash shop

And it works very well for the company.
    Beside that they have an amazing good game.
    Wish i had some time for it again 😉

@Farlander said in This game will it be free to play someday?:

I used to like subs for mmos because that evened the playing field for all players. However, I realized a sub made me feel like i had to play and then it became "I gotta get my money's worth" and I just quit playing all other games. So now if a game requires a sub I just pass it by even if it looks good. By the time you have played a game with a sub for a year you could have bought 2-3 other nice games.

Uhm... beside to have some ingame QoL benefit, i am doing a Subscription, if i think it is worth to support the Studio 🙂
    Never had the feeling for this reason to have to play, because i need to get for what i paid most efficient.
    I am playing a game for longer just because i am enjoying to play it, even more years exclusivly and literally massive 😉
    I think everybody should use it this way, to be sure, the Studio can continue their work on the game. We are the Customers and they have to maintain their life to be able to work for us.
    A good thing of a games shop offers is, if it don't force us to buy something (topic Pay4Win), but if they give us nice Addons for our gameplay and look&feel. We will be pleased to get the one or another if we want so and if we have enough money to throw it into the pot that the Devs can maintain their game and their private lifes.

I know most of the people I game with won't jump into a game that requires a sub. When I pitch a game to our community one of the first things they ask is if it requires one. Most of them feel that if they are paying a sub they need to be playing that game or they are wasting money. With the amount of games that come out you end up feeling like you have locked yourself out of playing other games. For me, in the past, when I subbed on games like UO or SWTOR those were exclusively the games I played for years.

Well i personally don't get the feel of being forced to play much for a sub based game. If you, for example, go to a cinema for that money you get ~2hrs fun out of it, so you have to play a sub based game like 2 hrs in a month to get value out of the money in my eyes.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured