Pledge Packs Are Going... With A Sale!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Tuoni said in Pledge Packs Are Going... With A Sale!:

@Jetah said in Pledge Packs Are Going... With A Sale!:

first to adopt usually pay more for that privilege.

Pay more for the privilege to invest money earlier to get less benefits.. sounds quite awesome privilege. 😂

you aren't getting less benefits. you get the same benefits as someone getting it on sale. however, you probably entered into the game and tested a little bit, while they might not have. I'd say the person waiting on a sale, which may never happen, may only get the pack after the test period.

there was no guarantee that the packs would have ever gone on sale, at least the kickstarter packs. now creating a game is a business and offering sales is a smart business decision.

@Tuoni said in Pledge Packs Are Going... With A Sale!:

first to adopt usually pay more for that privilege.

Pay more for the privilege to invest money earlier to get less benefits.. sounds quite awesome privilege. 😂

you aren't getting less benefits. you get the same benefits as someone getting it on sale.

Okay, less benefit was maybe a wrong choice of word and I meant to refer with it for pricing. Still, that does not sound like a privilege if you pay more and you are not getting anything extra.

however, you probably entered into the game and tested a little bit, while they might not have.

Firstly, have a chance to test out few days couple of unfinished features, is far from privilege.

Secondly, just few packages has access to Alpha 1, not all of them.

now creating a game is a business and offering sales is a smart business decision.

It is a business for sure, but offering sales is not automatically a smart business decision. It depends a lot how and when it will be implemented. Timing for discounts was good, but doing it with expense of early backers is not the best way to handle this kind of situations. This questions the whole meaning of early crowdfunding, where idea is to offer early investors something special and better so they will buy your product at start of development. Now what is the point to fund early on if you can get the product cheaper later? I have seen in other games how devs compensates this kind of actions to early backers. Not returning any money, but offering them something in game extra stuff.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

I'll simply repeat myself from earlier... do we want the game made, or not?

The guys setting these prices obviously have a better view of the financials than we do, and if they feel they need to offer discounts (which are tiny; comparable to the KS early birds as I've said multiple times in this thread), then who the heck are we to argue? Let's worry about the game getting made, and a healthy audience, rather than money.

Yeah, for me: game being made > individual gripes that I may have. I suppose they could have offered the discount, but removed some things from each of the discounted pledges, in order to keep the original value of some of the earlier purchasers. However, even that route is filled with tons of extra work for very little benefit imho.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Esoba said in Pledge Packs Are Going... With A Sale!:

Yeah, for me: game being made > individual gripes that I may have. I suppose they could have offered the discount, but removed some things from each of the discounted pledges, in order to keep the original value of some of the earlier purchasers. However, even that route is filled with tons of extra work for very little benefit imho.

I hear you in a broad sense... but do keep in mind that many of the discounts are in line with what the earlybird KS prices were... so there are KS people who paid exactly the same amount as what's being offered in this sale. I think that's hugely important to remember. A lot of people got those earlybird KS prices, me included! So was that bad, too???

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Canterbury

You keep bringing that up as if it makes it okay. Oh it’s fine, most of them are early bird prices. Lol.

Just find it funny that there aren’t any truly good arguments to be had for the sale. There are many ways to raise funds, many of which I could have jumped on board as well. Instead, they chose predatory tactics

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Pluto said in Pledge Packs Are Going... With A Sale!:

@Canterbury

You keep bringing that up as if it makes it okay. Oh it’s fine, most of them are early bird prices. Lol.

Not sure why it amuses you; it's a simple fact. And what it means is that many original backers paid the same as the sale.

So if you're going to flip out on the sale, you'd better also flip out on the earlybird pricing during the KS.

Otherwise your whole argument is incredibly hypocritical.

Another thing about jumping into the game earlier is now you came here faster than those other people. You got newsletters that they won't receive. You earned more freebies in the game in the form of cosmetics that they will not receive. I've tried to recover those newsletters that somehow must have found their way into my spam folder. I lost out on 500 forum points just on those few I saw I missed. If you purchased any early bird pack you have received 2000 foundation points from all the newsletters. Those who are coming here now for those cheaper packs lost all of that. They have no way of getting those points. Maybe look on that and feel a bit better.

The point is you want to play the game. If you get your enjoyment out of it then you made a good investment 👌

@Canterbury

An excellent point. Another reason I'm in broad agreement with your point.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

It's amazing how desperately some of the people here are stretching to complain about the pledge packs going on sale for their final month.

• @FibS Well I can see their point and understand where they stand and how they feel... But I want this game to see the broad-light of the day and complaining never helps anything.
    For my personal opinion, I think it is a good thing in the long run as it will draw in some new supporters.

@Tuoni
    the information gained is worth more though. there's a huge difference between someone who's tested in alpha - release vs someone who played at release (or during a sale). I play Overwatch, levels dont mean power, but they do mean game experience. I've seen people below level 100 make horrible mistakes because they didnt have the knowledge that a player at level 300+ would have.

I just see the pettiness is saying "they offered a small discount so i'm pissed" view when everything has a sale! The point of KS offering an early bird has a good point too.

I'm more worried about exclusives than price. I want more people in the game but if DS said something would be exclusive then it needs to be exclusive.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Retail store after Halloween: Halloween candy's on sale now
    People who bought candy before Halloween: how dare u

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Tuoni

Well they didn't lose anything.
    And only the packs of governor, aristocrat and that other one are "cheaper" then before. As they had no early bird versions, as far as i know.

Even then ... it's calling out "There's three more stones in my stone garden!".

Selling a few more of these, don't make much for an advantage or disadvantage. But they will pay for the actual cost of makeing said special limited pledge packs. Which isn't free.
    (They didn't sell too many of these, just checked 1 guy upgraded and 4 guys bought Aristocrat packs too. Whoa ... a whole 500 bucks ...slow clap).

Edit: Actually only the Aristocrat seems to have the discount. Now that 1 pack is freed up on the governor slot. And i haven't seen a free slot on creator. So yup, 500 bucks difference up to now. From KS pledge price to discount one today, for the restpostings.

Edit2: Actually, we're literally wasteing time on like up to 1000 bucks of difference... for max 10 people worth of aristocrat pledges (When the previous ones decide to upgrade ... somehow in one of the really costly ones).
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWPoP6p5tkxbXoRtredAjGFSax5GWw8QdcW1On-YcjVSMYu9Rq

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Meiki

Strongly agree. I don’t think it’s an unreasonable complaint at all (obviously). I’m totally fine with people being okay with it. But there IS ground for a complaint, and for some it’s a big deal.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Greenfox

So that raises the point... of why do it?

There are much better ways to gain attention and supporters.

Anyhow, I’m done at this point. Circles and circles

i suspect we'll see smaller packs, say immortal price and lower. but i really think we need to see some cosmetic [concept art] items up.

i know people will buy whole outfits or will mix and match. others may want weapon skins while others want different styled houses. then there's a whole mess of housing cosmetics that could be offered (exclusive or not).

what I'd like to see are item drop cosmetic alternative art. IE raid boss drops 5 heads (yea i know but hear me out) and there's an alternative art for it. meaning you'll only use it if you get that item. (DAoC had realm dragons that could be killed and they'd drop 5 heads but it took 200+ to kill so getting a head was a big thing!) There could be alternative skins for tamed animals, the more expensive versions could have unique animations, gfx, sound fx, etc.

honestly Star Citizen is killing it by offering ships of multitude sizes and prices. whether it releases or not isn't the issue. Path of Exile is killing it with their supporter packs which are limited duration to about 3 months (the length of an expansion), while offering plenty of cosmetics for skills, pets, housing, weapons, armor.

I'd be ok seeing helm cosmetic item, which can be traded for one of group they eventually release. same can be done for skills, armor, etc. (think of it like the WoW tier tokens that allow you to select which spec item to get.)

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Pluto Don't be daft! They're discontinuing the Pledges anyway, so why not put them on sale and see if it attracts any new purchases that were put off by the previous pricing? You know, just like every single store in the history of humanity always does when they're discontinuing a product.

At start I want to point out again, that I have not personally lost anything and I could benefit from this discount if I want. So I am not trying to drive my own case here. I am trying to be objective and make my point out based on personal experiences from other games and especially from business funding.

I do not mind either if some people are fine with DS's way to handle these discounts, but there is for sure place for complaints as well. But I would not compare retail purchases for development funding, because those are a different thing. Early funds are always more valueable than later income, because those early funds makes the development possible at first place. That is what every developer in every company should remember. This is the main reason why I do not personally like this kind of operating model.

@Tuoni

DS already has the early funds. that's how they were able to get started. I haven't seen a game startup that hasn't offered a sale. Even the titan that is Star Citizen has their annual sale during their anniversary!! Blizzard, EA, Activision, Camelot Unchained, Path of Exile.. they all have discounts on digital items! I didnt buy The Division 2 until it was on sale (last weekend). I didnt buy Destiny 2 until it was on sale! And this coming from someone who's spent thousands in in game shops and Kickstarter's.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured