Racial languages

• This post is deleted!

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Since they came from the same planet, why should they not understand each other? It's magic 😏

I'm not sure how much NPCs will even play a role in this world. We have only divine quests which we get from the gods. Trade with NPCs is not confirmed yet. So will we even see NPCs?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I am sure there can be ancient/archaeic languages... Learning more can unlock quests or information on hidden areas.

It will require a lot of writing and the devs said that the game doesn't have a huge lore base at the moment because they are a small team.

I guess in time if the team grows there might be more lore and stuff like this added.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@Azraelius
    I like your idea. The gods could have a different language than those that look up to them. So tehy know our language but have to learn their.

• This post is deleted!

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@Meiki
    yeah realism and game play. I'm honest I would hate to learn another language, since I would ahve to translate it from their language into english and than into my mother tongue. And I'm really bad at languages. It shouldn't be a mandatory to play the game and get access to the other planets.

• This post is deleted!

I like this idea, in final fantasy X to learn Al-bed you had to find the language glyphs and would learn one letter translated at a time , untill eventually you could understand the whole sentence , would love something like this to collect and research, learn enough letters and you can start researching the language learning the secrets (crafting styles?) of other races

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Meiki I really like this idea, just for the fact that it adds to the overall immersion and it would fit nicely into a miscellaneous category in the knowledge system. Maybe a translation skill could even be added, where if the leader of the group understands the language an NPC is speaking, then the whole group does.

• This post is deleted!

@Meiki said in Racial languages:

@Sindariya A system - like the one in WoW - can be set in place. It would make the job of the team easier and also pretty much make it easy for the players. As you would still see what the player actually wrote as long as you have high skill in the language. It could be even set that with tiers, that without knowledge it changes every word, achieving first tier changes only every second word, second tier only every third word, fourth tier only every couple words randomly between every fifth and every eight word and mastering it would let the message be as it is and allow you to send messages in that language.

Something like this could be interesting especially if guilds will be race locked. Then the initial setting is kind of RvR. I can see how unlocking new levels of languages needs traveling to another planets.

language racial?!?!?!?! ooh!!! Excite!!! much!!! very!!!

this could be a type of profession too. linguist! where you learn others' languages.

I'd love to see Scribe be a mage type class (yes i know, Fractured is classless but the idea of class is much easier to explain), where instead of a static animation for a spell, words are written then the spell happens. the words would act as a 'cast bar'. some spells would be top/down written while others could be left/right to right/left.

https://i.imgur.com/dwevUQB.gif
    https://i.imgur.com/lCmcjnJ.gif

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Everquest II had such an amazing language system.

Basically, the team didn't actually have to invent any language or even any scripts, and the game would constantly parody itself with comical quests for the character learning languages.

Learning Faerlie, for instance, sees the character going "Athfhh-blahthf-blahfhahfhaa?!" while the fairy teacher is going "No, no! It's afh-flah-flahahfh!"

@FibS

Being that Fractured wouldn't have NPC quest, how would language learning happen? Assuming the planets had their own language.

I could see books, pages, tablets scattered around the worlds as relics of the pre-fracture. maybe the dungeon delve could have certain levels with random NPC that could teach it, or other professions, or knowledge.

• This post is deleted!

This was done in Star Wars Galaxies. I think most people just found it an annoyance learning them and within a few days you knew all the languages

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Farlander I never played Star Wars Galaxies, so I dont know what learning languages entailed in that particular MMO. However, I think it could be interesting in Fractured, due to the way progression works in it as opposed to older (dare I say ancient) MMO's, like Star Wars Galaxies. Another reason I think it would work is because as mentioned by @Tuoni travel would be an important part in acquiring a new language. @Jetah and @Meiki also mentioned the collection of artifacts and literature. All the activities mentioned in the prior seem to be something people enjoy carrying out in MMO's, if said activities serve a purpose.

• This post is deleted!

The way it worked was your character had languages they understood and spoke. When you typed out what you wanted to say if those around you didn't understand the language it came up as erratic symbols. If you clicked on a player that spoke a different language you could queue them to teach you. If they accepted then you knew the new language lol. It was that simple.

With most people being on discord or other such chat programs I would expect most people don't even type in spatial chat as much. In rpgs such as D&D knowing other languages is crucial in some instances when trying to advance a scenario. Not being able to read a letter/book or speak with an npc to obtain information would be some instances where having other languages in the game might be interesting.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured