Houses in the wilderness

• @Jetah said in Houses in the wilderness:

I dont like the idea that we'll have to maintain a house that'll deteriorate in a month (which is one game year). That just isn't right to me.

Honestly, me neither, but there should be a balance between having to put too much effort into keeping a plot that it becomes a burden (which will drive the more casual players away), and not having to put effort at all into keeping your plot (which will result in a lot of land locked by inactive players who only log once a month).

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Gibbx
    mate. building codes still exist. those products still exist but have to travel further. there are homes/buildings in japan that are 1200+ years old. by your logic they should have been torn down 5 years after being built. The pyramids shouldn't have lasted as long either, according to you. there are homes in EU/UK that are hundreds of years old too. again, according to you that should be impossible.

@Razvan
    If you don't log in then I can understand it decaying at a faster rate. but if someone is logging in daily or even 5d/w then it shouldn't decay in a month.

I think you guys are really overt thinking this. This all sounds like making the game more complicated than it needs to be. A house should be a house no matter where it is located. I also don't see a need for a building to have a quality rating. The devs would just be making their jobs harder if they had to track such statistics. IMO houses should all age deteriorate the same and refreshing them should be easy. If players have to spend a ton of time, energy and resources in the game to keep their houses from vanishing then where is the time to spend having fun in the game exploring?

@Farlander said in Houses in the wilderness:

I think you guys are really overt thinking this. This all sounds like making the game more complicated than it needs to be. A house should be a house no matter where it is located. I also don't see a need for a building to have a quality rating. The devs would just be making their jobs harder if they had to track such statistics. IMO houses should all age deteriorate the same and refreshing them should be easy.

but if i want to use better resources i should get an easier to maintain house that last long between repairs.

If players have to spend a ton of time, energy and resources in the game to keep their houses from vanishing then where is the time to spend having fun in the game exploring?

that's kind of my point when I read that houses will have constant maintenance. it shouldn't degrade in a (game) year. but it's a way to force/guide people to buy the carpenter so that they can 'play the game' instead of having to repair the house every day.

@Jetah said in Houses in the wilderness:

(...)it's a way to force/guide people to buy the carpenter so that they can 'play the game' instead of having to repair the house every day.

Certainly! What I'm curious about though is if others can repair your house. That way, if your home is in a town, you could easily 'hire' a player to maintain a large deal of the houses in that town.

@Jetah Dude you, as always, totally missed (or ignored) my point. if you were to build a cabin in the middle of the woods far from civilization you will probably be forced to use whatever materials you can find nearby. Most likely you are not going to be following building codes and may not be an experienced builder. If you building in a city you will have access to better materials, will need to follow building codes and may even have a professional do the work. That structure is going to be sturdier and last longer that the cabin in the woods.

The fact that some structures have lasted hundreds or even thousands of years only PROVES my point. they are the structures that have been built with superior materials by master craftsman. they have probably also received maintenance over the years (or need it now). That being said most of the structures built hundreds of thousands of years ago have long since decayed to nothing.

All homes need maintenance. How onerous the game mechanic will be remains to be seen.

@Jetah said in Houses in the wilderness:

The pyramids shouldn't have lasted as long either

The pyramids were built by aliens dude.

@Gibbx said in Houses in the wilderness:

@Jetah Dude you, as always, totally missed (or ignored) my point. if you were to build a cabin in the middle of the woods far from civilization you will probably be forced to use whatever materials you can find nearby. Most likely you are not going to be following building codes and may not be an experienced builder. If you building in a city you will have access to better materials, will need to follow building codes and may even have a professional do the work. That structure is going to be sturdier and last longer that the cabin in the woods.

The fact that some structures have lasted hundreds or even thousands of years only PROVES my point. they are the structures that have been built with superior materials by master craftsman. they have probably also received maintenance over the years (or need it now). That being said most of the structures built hundreds of thousands of years ago have long since decayed to nothing.

All homes need maintenance. How onerous the game mechanic will be remains to be seen.

you mean to tell me that materials can't be transported to anywhere the building is being built? There are plenty of real buildings in the world that are/were 'built in the deep woods' that are still up. My grandparents home was built after a hurricane in the 30-40's. It was built using materials that was 40 miles away (moved by train then by horse-n-buggy. It's still standing, has better materials than current built homes and will probably out last the new homes going to be built in the next 1-5 years.

you seem to be the one missing or ignoring my point that buildings that were built 100+ years ago wasn't built in the city but were built in the woods and the city grew to them or grew around them.

to prove my point this is the oldest wooden building known which was built around 600AD then rebuilt after a fire in 700AD. The 'city' isn't much and is still a distance from said city (12km SW of Nara and 30km E of Osaka google map Now imagine how that area was back 1300 years ago). AND Japan is known for typhoons, fires and salt filled air which is probably the worst conditions for wood buildings.

While that is an exception, I'm saying it's possible to build a house in the wild and it still last generations later.

Dude I am not missing your point at all. I guess you just refuse to see mine. Truthfully I should know better that to debate a topic with you.

ok I yield to your logic. your right and I am totally and completely wrong.

I already mentioned in my post back there that transportation of materials is ok. 🙂

And since lots of materials will be required, and being limited by carry capacity, needing several trips back and forth from civilization to wilderness, building house in such way will require significant effort and its totally ok, and makes sense.

In this way, houses far away from cities will end up way more rare than houses near the cities, for that exact reason.

• @Jetah buddy, you can´t compare building made of material transported by train and modern vehicles to house one guy build with bare hands without knowledge of how to build proper house; also i doubt the japanese temple was build by one monk, but rather huge amount of qualified workers and it sure is maintained to this day.

It is possible to build such house, but without proper knowledge and proper maintenance it will rot away in few years (depends on humidity, type of wood etc. and if termites find your house, say goodbye 😛 ). Also not every old building made of wood is 100% original, some parts have to be replaced too.

But this is virtual house, as with rest of the game - truth is whatever devs say.

@asspirin said in Houses in the wilderness:

@Jetah buddy, you can´t compare building made of material transported by train and modern vehicles to house one guy build with bare hands without knowledge of how to build proper house; also i doubt the japanese temple was build by one monk, but rather huge amount of qualified workers and it sure is maintained to this day.

It is possible to build such house, but without proper knowledge and proper maintenance it will rot away in few years (depends on humidity, type of wood etc. and if termites find your house, say goodbye 😛 ). Also not every old building made of wood is 100% original, some parts have to be replaced too.

But this is virtual house, as with rest of the game - truth is whatever devs say.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JXZSzSm8AlZyD3nQdBA

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured