hint for logout

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@benseine I do not like waiting like idiot 15 min... anything more then 1 min is just AFK hunting, and going to make the game less fun.
    And you do not want people to only go from safe zone to safe zone, because they will go out less to the world.

@grofire said in hint for logout:

@jetah said in hint for logout:

yes, many games with pvp have a time where your client is at character select or it closed, and your character is still in the game world. This happens in Eve Online and WoW to name a few examples. a 15 minute timer doesn't mean you have to sit there waiting the 15 minutes to close the game or swap characters. it's the amount of time the model stays in the game world. i thought you knew although i could have explained it a little better.

so you saying that every time you logout, your char will stay in the wold, and you will not be able even to see if someone attack you and run or fight ??😂

Yes. That's how it works in PvP games. Otherwise people will run and force a disconnect by unplugging the ethernet, disconnecting wifi or removing power to the router/modem. It was a commonly used system in UO back in the 90's. The answer to that was to keep the character in the game world for a period of time to force the player to fight or to run to a safe area (like a city).

@Basileus

I wasn't aware the system worked like that for Eve. Was that there since the beginning or was that changed?

@Rotul @grofire

the logout timer we're speaking of is when the character in the game world vanishes. It isn't the timer that you have to wait through to change characters or exit the game. It's there to prevent abuse from people wanting to 'terminate' their connection or client so their character can't be killed.

example is when you are chasing a demon. you get some attacks on them and start to run. you follow. they turn a corner and hide in some bushes. your camera position can't really see it that well. you continue to run around hoping to see them. What the did was jump in the bushes and pulled the network plug on their PC so the client disconnects. With a 15m logout system the demon will stay in the game world for 15 minutes. This give you time to find them and kill them. With a 1 minute system you might not find them.

I'm sure there's a term for what I'm describing but I'm not thinking of it.

What we're not saying:
    you press escape, then press logout or exit. Then you wait for 15 minutes. That isn't what we're saying. That timer can be 1 minute! or instant if you're in a safe city.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

@jetah I agree with this statement. Make special places where logout can be instantaneous. Otherwise, bite the bullet and wait 20 seconds. If not, you face consequences. Most people will work around it and know if they need to do something they aren't going to go into pvp and expect to just be able to leave whenever they feel like it.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@grofire you don't have to wait for 15 minutes if you don't want to. If you find a good place to log off, just log off and leave. But if you want to log off in the middle of a FFA PvP zone with full loot, there might be consequenses.

We need this system or ppl will abuse quick log offs to prevent loss of gear.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah lol, funny miscommunication 😂

@benseine I do not like waiting like idiot 15 min... anything more then 1 min is just AFK hunting, and going to make the game less fun.
    And you do not want people to only go from safe zone to safe zone, because they will go out less to the world.

If you feel like that play in Arboreus and no problem. 🙂
    ALT+F4 wherever you want and no problem, you will not die to another player.

For "you" it's shit game play, for me it's great game play.
    For me shit would be if people log out when they see me and I can never catch anyone to kill him.

An alternative would be to make logging out during pvp or pve a criminal offense and add a debuff of some extra sort for a set time on logging back in. I'd be all for instant death on using the chicken hack, but there are the cases where players do honestly d/c who might not like that option. I'm of the mind that if you're in battle and d/c though, you still deserve to die.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

As I said before the best way is to make a channel time to log-out. While channeling a log-out you can be attacked and interrupeted if not in a safe zone/city. The channeling time should be not too long like 1min or 1min and 30sec. Once you log out the char disappear insta. There is no point on leaving the char active for few mins after the log out would not make sense.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@gothix said in hint for logout:

ALT+F4 wherever you want and no problem, you will not die to another player.

that should be considered an AFK statement and not a log-out. This way avoiding people to explotiong. It's easy to leave the char active after the ALT-F4 and trigger the AFK status

• TF#5 - LEGATE

@jetah EVE has gone through many phases, and I believe there used to be a 30 minute timer that did not reset on being attack; this was abused and I believe there was a tactic to keep healing your titans (ships worth 1k dollars in RL money if you converted ISK into PLEX cost) that were 100% going to die, and they would alt-f4 the moment the fight was lost. Their guildies would keep healing their afk ship, then 30 minutes later it would poof and disappear before it could be killed. This is probably why they changed it so that the timer reset the second you were attacked.

@Finland I would be okay with a 1 minute 30 second timer for logging out that can be interrupted upon any damage (human or NPC) if you were fully visible for the entirety of that timer. No stealth should be allowed while you are logging out to prevent people from using it to escape from a dangerous situation. Same with any potential teleport to towns etc (though I do believe such a mechanic would somewhat ruin the travelling and merchant core game the devs are trying to create; in EVE online there is no such thing as an auto teleport to a safe dock!). There will still be edge cases maybe where people will use the logoff to escape via hiding behind terrain or something, but maybe this can be overcome with good planning.

@finland

1m to logout to character select or quit but your character stays in the game world for 15 minutes! this will encourage people to keep pushing till they reach a town or have friend that'll babysit till the character is gone.

@jetah as i said, it will not! it will prevent people from going out from town to explore the world.

@jetah as i said, it will not! it will prevent people from going out from town to explore the world.

if you know the character stays in the game world for 15 minutes then you'll make sure it's safe.

@jetah true, you will make sure it's safe by not going out of town...
    But what is the point? Why you care so much the char is safe? Why need this 15 min timer it's stupid, it give nothing, just make the less imersive, and less fun.
    You gain nothing and lose a lot.
    Log out timer should be 1 min when char in-game.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@finland

1m to logout to character select or quit but your character stays in the game world for 15 minutes! this will encourage people to keep pushing till they reach a town or have friend that'll babysit till the character is gone.

This make nosense if I have to go I must be free to logout and save my things. Channeling logout is more than enough. As I said they could add an afk status if someone tryes to exploit it by doing alt+f4 and similar situations aka connection lost or black out. That way the system will keep the char in the game for few mins as afk till auto-logout. But there is no point to let the char stay in game after a succesfull logout.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Not possibile 15m is long time, 30 second si the beasth time, no possibile gammin in the work

@jetah true, you will make sure it's safe by not going out of town...
    But what is the point? Why you care so much the char is safe? Why need this 15 min timer it's stupid, it give nothing, just make the less imersive, and less fun.
    You gain nothing and lose a lot.
    Log out timer should be 1 min when char in-game.

how is it less immersive? You're already out of the game or in character select. Actually immersive would be your character never leaves the game world and could be killed while 'sleeping'.

@finland said in hint for logout:

@finland

This make nosense if I have to go I must be free to logout and save my things. Channeling logout is more than enough. As I said they could add an afk status if someone tryes to exploit it by doing alt+f4 and similar situations aka connection lost or black out. That way the system will keep the char in the game for few mins as afk till auto-logout. But there is no point to let the char stay in game after a succesfull logout.

If you must go then you don't care what happens because real life is more important. If you know you have 15 minutes before you leave then you don't start a travel to another town. If you log out in a safe area the 15m doesn't apply.

As I said they could add an afk status if someone tries to exploit it by doing alt+f4 and similar situations aka connection lost or black out. That way the system will keep the char in the game for few mins as afk till auto-logout.

This is what I'm asking for! This is exactly what it is!

@jetah no it's not what you asking, if I press logout and wait 1 min, it's not like I pressed alt f4. No need to wait 15 min if I pressed logout and waited 1 min.

@grofire
    So you run from a fight and hit escape and logout instead of alt-f4. Then your body stays for 1 minute. That isn't long enough in an open world PvP game.
    This also works against demons on the beast planet. On the human planet it works both ways.

@jetah yes it is, since it probably take less then 10s to die, and in any case, if you get hit then your timer will restart.
    No one will be able to run out of a fight while being chased, and still get out in 1 min.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured