Consider: Alternate Controls

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@gibbx said in Consider: Alternate Controls:

@fibs doesn't cost $200

Gosh, that's relevant.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

It's my real name. But yeah, I got my name from the books.
    Fantastic series btw.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@gothix
    I have the same opinion.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@fibs it could be if your interested in facts, or shall we just ignore those then?

@princecorwin that's pretty awesome. I loved the Amber series

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@princecorwin said in Consider: Alternate Controls:

It's my real name. But yeah, I got my name from the books.
    Fantastic series btw.

Grats on the parents then 😄

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@gibbx said in Consider: Alternate Controls:

@fibs it could be if your interested in facts, or shall we just ignore those then?

My point is that computer mice with additional buttons are considerably more expensive than standard click-click-wheel mice, and therefore shouldn't be considered as a standard or default control option.

If they can be allowed with no consequence to any other more common control method, then go right ahead, there's no reason not to.

@FibS why should devs cater to players that cant afford to pay more than 5$ for their mouse. If they can't do even that, than how much they will spend in Fractured cash shop? Yeah exactly, 0 or close to 0. 🙂

Devs pushing away players who can actually afford expensive mice and keyboards by not letting then use those in their game (and thus pushing them away to another games where they actually can use those) would not be a smartest thing to do. 🙂

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@gothix said in Consider: Alternate Controls:

@FibS why should devs cater to players that cant afford to pay more than 5$ for their mouse. If they can't do even that, than how much they will spend in Fractured cash shop? Yeah exactly, 0 or close to 0. 🙂

You're making it sound like Fractured is developed by Blizzard. I sure hope not

Besides, the game itself is already in the $20 ~ $30 price range to buy. They wouldn't do that if they were relying solely on the cash shop for money; the game would be freemium in that case.

@fibs

i haven't seen too many professional gamers use 5$ mice. there's a reason the mice are better (buttons aside).

mice are a once purchase too so it isn't as though you're spending 50$ every month for a new mouse.

i have an Orbweaver which now I can't game without.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@jetah said in Consider: Alternate Controls:

@fibs

i haven't seen too many professional gamers use 5$ mice. there's a reason the mice are better (buttons aside).

This is still not at all relevant to the topic, mind you, but fine, let's do it.

Even a modern $10~$20 wireless mouse is completely suitable for playing any game ever. Pro gamers are neurotic about completely pretend technical advantages such as the (non-existent) input lag on a wireless input compared to a wired one, and the terror that their battery will run out in the middle of a match (literally less than once a year), as well as invisible numbers in the realm of vanity, such as increasingly high DPI.

It's the same as the rat race for the most polygons onscreen at a time; deluded and pointless.

mice are a once purchase too so it isn't as though you're spending 50$ every month for a new mouse.

I should have to spend $50+ on a new mouse zero times (as with every other game on the planet.)

The VR fad has badly deluded consumer psychology: here we are unable to afford houses and food and clothes and everybody acts like it's normal to expect the bulk of your playerbase to get $200 headsets and $100 mice / keyboards for a $3000 computer.

i have an Orbweaver which now I can't game without.

Congratulations, you paid $120 for a smaller keyboard with rainbows.

I just use the 25 leftmost keys on my $20 keyboard myself, i.e. exactly the same functionality for 1/10 of the price.

Now hold on, let me reconnect all this again to my actual point relevant to the actual topic:

You can use all those stupid mouse macros and vanity keyboards regardless of what the default game controls are, so you don't need to be catered to. The controls will still work for you because your device is specifically designed to remap controls in a wide variety of games.

If Fractured wants to be any more than an ego drug for "pro gamers", though, then they will need to make controls for players who aren't spoiled rich kids, which is probably what they will do.

WASD to move won't permit this because you still need a hand on the mouse to aim attacks and thus you won't be able to move while also using skills because you do not have six thumbs and 20 mouse buttons. I would expect the meta to avoid WASD anyway because it is provably inferior:

• WASD has 8 directions, clicking has infinite. Thus clicking has superior approach angle and facing direction control
    • you don't have to continuously hold buttons down in click to move, so your hand won't get tired and you won't suffer any pauses while moving

The obvious flaw in click to move is that if you end up path-finding a long route your movement will be highly predictable, which is fixed by clicking many short paths instead of one long one.

@FibS

• movement on arrows (or WASD)
    • rotate character by moving mouse pointer around him (also aiming skills)
    • bindings to mouse buttons, shift + mouse buttons, ctrl + mouse buttons, ctrl + shift + mouse buttons (I have 10 mouse buttons, that allows me to place 40 binds only on mouse)

I see no issue I would have to be able to control my character.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I would love alternate control options. I'm not a huge fan of the click to move scheme either, but I see it's merits. Either way, more options would be great. Not everyone plays the same.

I can easily deal with mouse controls. WASD would be nice but as others have said, likely not gonna be in.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@fibs the obvious flaw in mouse movement is that you either direct your skills or you direct your movement - unless your movement and attack is in the same direction you cannot do both at the same time. And we can see that in the gameplay video that the character stops to shoot bow.

I asked before and there wasn't any answer: what improvement in game play bring that up to 22.5% more control over your movement angle? I see none in combat.

And what pauses on movement and getting more tired on WASD? What's more isn't it better to have MORE options? So you can move with mouse and if your right hand get's tired move with WASD or w/e bind to the movement? You say it like you can have one or the other but why not have both???

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I'm fine with either movement option, I just want the option to bind keys to my mouse.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I'd prefer wasd but its whatever

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

I second, the ability to have two options. If you want to play like Path of Exiles, you should be able to. If you want to play like WoW or other MMORPGs, you should be able to. As simple as that.

@fibs

I'll guess you're one of the people that believe humans can't see beyond 60 fps.

Mice, mouse pads, frame rate, refresh rate, input lag all make a huge difference in the competitive scene. Sure your average (or below) player wont notice it but it's there.

you don't have to continuously hold buttons down in click to move, so your hand won't get tired and you won't suffer any pauses while moving

i don't have that problem with my Orbweaver.

You can play Spiral Knights, if it's still running, to see how an isometric game with WASD movement works

. I didn't have problems with aiming where I wanted and moving with ranged or melee.

like I said it's been answered

• TF#10 - CONSUL

why anyone other then devs would be against adding WASD as a SECOND option for movement is beyond me. Can any of you explain?

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured