Fall Alpha Spotlight – Equipment Progression

• Content Creator

@spoletta and that's the whole reason for these Alpha tests. To see where they need to put the slider of such things in order to achieve that balance they are looking for.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

@spoletta
    I strongly agree. The increased number of sockets is plenty of incentive and power boosting ability already.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

I'm ready for the autumn alpha! faster 😃

This post is deleted!

• DymStudios - CEO

@margenov @Logain sadly we can't delay the launch of the test further, since we want to have another one by the end of the year. What we hope to do is launch it a bit earlier than NW - say, Sep 21. That would be 1 whole week before NW at least...

@GamerSeuss said in Fall Alpha Spotlight – Equipment Progression:

Would love to know if you've also decided to keep with the plan to introduce Beastmen or if that has been solidly pushed off to a later Alpha.

Beastmen are definitely not coming this year, hopefully in the first half on 2022!

@axan22 said in Fall Alpha Spotlight – Equipment Progression:

Great info but please be mindful of your face blocking info you are talking about in the video, couldn't really see the some of the info as blocked by your face.

Ahah yes, sorry, I'll mind that next time 😄

@spoletta said in Fall Alpha Spotlight – Equipment Progression:

Will there be a different cost to enchant weapons compared to the cost of enchanting armor pieces?

Yes, enchanting weapons is more expensive. Data will be on the wiki soon 🙂

@spoletta said in Fall Alpha Spotlight – Equipment Progression:

Also, resistances to elementals are not changed, except for the ones already on the equipment (material). Wouldn't all this make mages almost enchant agnostic?

@OlivePit said in Fall Alpha Spotlight – Equipment Progression:

I am concerned about enchanting being only coin based and not including other material costs.

We are considering adding materials as well later on 😉

@OlivePit said in Fall Alpha Spotlight – Equipment Progression:

I noticed that the rapier gives armor penetration as well as spell channeling while the staves just give spell channeling... As such why would anyone use a stave instead of a rapier?

Because the staff is a ranged weapon and its base damage stacks with INT 🙂

The 'base damage stacks with int' is not very pertinant as the rapiers damage (and many rapier abilities that might need channeling) stack with Dex. The point that one is melee and the other is ranged works better, but still weak as 'ranged' in Fractured is still only one jump / teleport / bind or slow casting animation away from melee. Giving mages an alternative melee only weapon that stacks with int and giving that magic resist penetration would be the closest comparison to the rapier equivalent. But such an item does not exist despite there being many very short range mage abilities and the note on slow casting animations/ time which often make 'ranged' mages into 'melee' mages thus greatly reducing the 'ranged' advantage. For comparison all of the archer abilities have very quick -or just toggled- abilities which allow them to not be stuck in one place long enough while acting to allow anyone to get to melee easily. If they had the same cast or activation times as many mage abilities they would very much loose their 'ranged' edge.
    I have faith that this will be tested and balanced later in any case. Just my thoughts.

• Content Creator

@OlivePit Daggars/Throwing Daggars might be a good possible Mage Weapon. Use it at ranged, with almost the speed of a bow, but with magic channeling ability added in, with automatic returning ammo would be really nice

I was just reminded that fist mages were a thing and I can see that being cool if they got wraps or what not.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Hi @olivepit, at first I thought the same as you. But later I thought it's expensive enough when you get killed and lose your stuff or it will decay quickly when you use it.

So first of all, I think it's the first step to balance and I think it's okay.

• 21st of September can work, but I think exp buff or something else to speed up the testing should be available. I can certainly play for 2 days until D2R launches on the 23rd.

• Content Creator

@margenov there is no Exp in Fractured, LOL....we use a knowledge point system that's based on how many times you kill a specific type of monster until you reach 100%, and also you get knowledge for everything you harvest for the first time in the wild, things like that. They can't really put a boost on that so much. I think they've already dialed back the KP costs for things to speed things up during testing.

• @GamerSeuss Yeah right, I forgot. I did play around 150h in the last Alpha test.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@GamerSeuss don't fool yourself, the knowledge system is experience system in a different configuration.

Yes and no.
    It is true that there are experience systems which reward discovering areas and resources like in fractured, but the major difference between a knowledge system and an experience system is that while an xp system is a simple sum of xp contributes irrespective of their source, the kp system is a sum of multiple small source restricted contributes. In an xp system you can spend a day farming trolls and you will have your xps. in a kp system after 20 minutes killing more trolls is useless, you "know" them. In an xp system at the same time, you can reach the cap without ever confronting a troll, while in the kp system you have to confront all sources of kp to reach the cap.
    Seen in another way, the xp meter is like a big jar that you have to fill with water. No one cares where you take that water, as long as the jar in the end is full. In the kp system you instead have to collect many small jars around the world.
    The xp system rewards grinding.
    The kp system rewards traveling.

They are similar in concept but very different in effects on the game. A boost to KP is also terribly less effective than a boost to xp.

there is the bit about summon able boss monsters tho...
    you -can- just grind them for KP tablets which are used or sold... or is there a limit there too?

@OlivePit Those too are limited.
    You can't use the same page twice.

• Content Creator

@OlivePit Each 'Lost Tale' is usable only once per character

@spoletta Also don't forget that a KP system, unlike an XP system, you spend the KP on things, like unlocking skills and the talent tree, where generally the XP system is either one lump sum that amasses, or several small sums towards different skills/abilities (like in RuneScape games)

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured